Need Forgiving 5 and 6 irons

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
I have an awesome set of Cobra irons that I love, but the Cobra Hybrids I have just aren't working for me at all. The friend I play with is a low handicapper and suggested I try to get a 5 and 6 iron as I don't have those and do very well with my iron game.

There is no way I can find a 5 or 6 iron in the set I have and am not brand loyal to them necessarily, but I am turning to the wise and much more experienced minds of the fine THPers for some advice.

I will definitely be trying them out, but does anyone have any recommendations? I do not need the latest and greatest by no stretch and know that many of you have good experiences with Callaway. Let me know what you think and thanks in advance!

King OS if you want to stay Cobra, D300 are a good option also. Very easy to hit.

King OS if you want to stay Cobra, D300 are a good option also. Very easy to hit.

Funny, I just called Golf Galaxy and they said there is some kind of issue with Cobra now and they can't order any clubs from them at all. Strange indeed.

Are the D300s much like the D200s? I've heard good things. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Funny, I just called Golf Galaxy and they said there is some kind of issue with Cobra now and they can't order any clubs from at all. Strange indeed.

Are the D300s much like the D200s? I've heard good things. Thanks for the reply!

There is no issue with Cobra. There is an issue with Golf Galaxy. You can get clubs from Cobra from tons of places.

There is no issue with Cobra. There is an issue with Golf Galaxy. You can get clubs from Cobra from tons of places.

There are only two retailers that sell clubs by me. Dicks and GG.

I would love to be able to try the clubs out before buying them. Any suggestions?

Funny, I just called Golf Galaxy and they said there is some kind of issue with Cobra now and they can't order any clubs from them at all. Strange indeed.

The D300s are like the D200s, with the exception of being longer and more forgiving with the new FlxFace tech.

find some Cleveland Altitudes on the 'Bay. Dirt cheap and worth a try.

5 and 6 hybrid.... just saying.

The cobra fmax irons are stupid easy to hit,get in the air easily. I prefer hybrids though, but the fmax should be ideal for you

I have the Cobra Fmax set and would also suggest the 5 and 6 from that set. VERY forgiving (for me). But if you are having issues with the hybrids I'd recommend that you try the 5&6 irons pre purchase because whatever the problem is with the hybrids may be some other problem that transfers the the longer irons. (Thinking shaft length/flex, loft angle, etc). Definitely try before you buy.

I have the Cobra Fmax set and would also suggest the 5 and 6 from that set. VERY forgiving (for me). But if you are having issues with the hybrids I'd recommend that you try the 5&6 irons pre purchase because whatever the problem is with the hybrids may be some other problem that transfers the the longer irons. (Thinking shaft length/flex, loft angle, etc). Definitely try before you buy.

One thing I really want to try is that the Hybrids have graphite shafts and the Irons are steel shafts like the Irons I have. Thanks for the awesome advice. Will definitely do what you suggest.

Having just purchased two sets another thought comes to mind. Your hybrids are available in different shaft flex. You may want to check with co you purchased from to have them verify that you were given the correct shafts. I've tried clubs with the wrong flex - wow, couldn't hit a good shot to save my life.

Having just purchased two sets another thought comes to mind. Your hybrids are available in different shaft flex. You may want to check with co you purchased from to have them verify that you were given the correct shafts. I've tried clubs with the wrong flex - wow, couldn't hit a good shot to save my life.

They are the OEM Graphite Cobra Shafts. Maybe try a different shaft instead of new clubs?

Well, single irons new are difficult to find and even harder to test out. Did a little E-Bay hunting and found a Callaway X2 Hot 6 iron, very slightly used, from Callaway Pre-Owned for under $30. Figured, why not? For that price, I couldn't resist.

I play the Cobra F7 and love the long irons. I go all the way up to a 3 iron and the 3, 4 and 5 irons are hollow like a hybrid so the face is super hot and I have no issue getting the ball up in the air. The 6 iron is semi hollow so if you miss low or on the toe you get a ton of forgiveness. I'm in the same boat as you in that I don't like the look of hybrids and prefer to play long irons. Cobra F7 or Cobra OS sounds like a great fit. You can buy single irons online. If you want to hit them first can't help you there.

I play the Cobra F7 and love the long irons. I go all the way up to a 3 iron and the 3, 4 and 5 irons are hollow like a hybrid so the face is super hot and I have no issue getting the ball up in the air. The 6 iron is semi hollow so if you miss low or on the toe you get a ton of forgiveness. I'm in the same boat as you in that I don't like the look of hybrids and prefer to play long irons. Cobra F7 or Cobra OS sounds like a great fit. You can buy single irons online. If you want to hit them first can't help you there.

The rest of my set are Cobra Fly-Zs which I love and my Driver is the F6. If I hit the Callaway well, I will likely buy a Cobra OS 5i and 6i. There is a retailer in NYC I may travel to to try them because none of the local places have those Clubs to test.

I have an awesome set of Cobra irons that I love, but the Cobra Hybrids I have just aren't working for me at all. The friend I play with is a low handicapper and suggested I try to get a 5 and 6 iron as I don't have those and do very well with my iron game.

There is no way I can find a 5 or 6 iron in the set I have and am not brand loyal to them necessarily, but I am turning to the wise and much more experienced minds of the fine THPers for some advice.

I will definitely be trying them out, but does anyone have any recommendations? I do not need the latest and greatest by no stretch and know that many of you have good experiences with Callaway. Let me know what you think and thanks in advance!

Mizuno mp-h4 or mp-h5. So buttery, and easy to hit it's ridiculous. I would advise those clubs over any game improvement out there.

find some Cleveland Altitudes on the 'Bay. Dirt cheap and worth a try.

Definitely this ^^^

FYI Re your friends advice ... hybrids are going to be more forgiving than irons. If you struggle at that spot in the bag I think a case could be made that you should find hybrids that work for you, not irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely this ^^^

FYI Re your friends advice ... hybrids are going to be more forgiving than irons. If you struggle at that spot in the bag I think a case could be made that you should find hybrids that work for you, not irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking this as well. I might go down this road, which is why I didn't want to blow a bunch on a single iron. Thanks for the advice!

personally i would keep trying different hybrids. there's a reason some of the better golfers in this thread bag hybrids for 3, 4 and even 5 iron spots in the bag. there are lots of varieties out there, and almost every one of them is more forgiving than a long iron.

what kind of issues are you having relative to the hybrids?

personally i would keep trying different hybrids. there's a reason some of the better golfers in this thread bag hybrids for 3, 4 and even 5 iron spots in the bag. there are lots of varieties out there, and almost every one of them is more forgiving than a long iron.

^^^^ stick with the hybrids or maybe try and find a utility iron?

I'm having a hard time figuring out where in my stance the ball needs to be. Also, my buddy was saying that my swing speed lends itself more to an iron than a hybrid. I was also really hitting my irons well, so he suggested trying an iron out. My 7i-wedge game is quite good according to him. It's my mid distances that are really killing my score right now. I can hit off the tee somewhat, but fairway to green is really hurting outside 150 yards.

Not 100% sold on getting the irons just yet. For $30, I figured it was worth doing an experiment, so I got the 6 iron.

I'm having a hard time figuring out where in my stance the ball needs to be. Also, my buddy was saying that my swing speed lends itself more to an iron than a hybrid. I was also really hitting my irons well, so he suggested trying an iron out. My 7i-wedge game is quite good according to him. It's my mid distances that are really killing my score right now. I can hit off the tee somewhat, but fairway to green is really hurting outside 150 yards.

Not 100% sold on getting the irons just yet. For $30, I figured it was worth doing an experiment, so I got the 6 iron.

I'm kind of in the opposite boat here. I have a 4, 5 iron in the Baffler XL. Looking to get into the Hybrid game due to issues hitting with the longer irons. PM me, maybe we can work something out.

Cheers!

Back