Did he really beat me?

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Played 18 today with a guy who would pick up his ball every time it was 4 feet or so from the cup without putting it in and say that's good and give himself a par, a bogey or whatever. He kept score for the two of us and at the end of the round claimed he beat me by two strokes. The difference between us is that I played out every putt even those that were 4 feet from the cup. I know I missed one four foot putt, and I really am not sure he would have made all of those 4 footers he had especially since his putting wasn't shaping out so well.

Strange question....does it matter? And I mean that as if it was in a league or a match with something on the line.

Strange question....does it matter? And I mean that as if it was in a league or a match with something on the line.

Doesn't matter to me, I just found it strange. It wasn't league play or anything.

He's only beating himself.

Yes, he beat you because you let him keep score.

Depends how you play the game, people play it for different reasons and some people are sandbaggers as long as you weren't playing for money...

Played 18 today with a guy who would pick up his ball every time it was 4 feet or so from the cup without putting it in and say that's good and give himself a par, a bogey or whatever. He kept score for the two of us and at the end of the round claimed he beat me by two strokes. The difference between us is that I played out every putt even those that were 4 feet from the cup. I know I missed one four foot putt, and I really am not sure he would have made all of those 4 footers he had especially since his putting wasn't shaping out so well.

My father in law does this as well. He doesn't like me keeping his score but he always beats me by 1 or 2 at the end of the round. I just let him have it. Unless I am playing for money or some sort of competition I really am only playing against myself. I know how well/bad I did and that's all that matters.

Next time tell him no gimmie putts. The way he reacts to that question will show you exactly what you need to know.

Yes he beat you, just make sure he gives you 1 a side and play for money next time.

In reality who cares. I just keep my own card unless playing for money, I honestly have no clue what a random person shot in my group nor do I care.

I think the moment you start picking up balls and giving yourself gimmies, your score is really irrelevant. I have played with people who do pick up the ball right away but I honestly don't compete with them or care about their scores anymore.

I am ok with gimmies as long as your playing partner gives you one, giving yourself gimmies is like giving yourself par on the hole even before teeing off.

Sounds like you played with the guys from Hawaii. "hey brah it's good, your on the green", "want me to putt out" nah it's good". I see this all day. The life of 75 yr Asian golfer.

Did he beat you? Sure, in his world.

No one says that to me without a remark back about the mega gimmes. Not a chance.

I usually just make the first one I'm faced with so that the next time I'm faced with the same putt my playing partner says "You already made it from that distance, pick it up, it's good." :D

Of course he didn't beat you - he was DQ'd for signing an incorrect score card. :alien:

This sort of thing bothers me, but only when it comes from a close friend or someone that might brag about beating me to others. I have a group of friends I play with and we are all within 5-8 strokes of each other every round. One guy, who is always at the low end of that spectrum, is also the guy that routinely fluffs his lie, uses the foot wedge, demands another tee shot because you were talking (even though you were talking before he started getting ready to hit, so why didn't he say something then?), etc. I know his scores are probably 2-3 shots better than they would have been had he played 100% straight up. Since we often make it a competition, I get annoyed and call him out on those things, which usually ends up with bad feelings among us.

I'm sure we've all scooped up some shorter putts at one point or another haven't we? It sounds to me like you guys were just placing varying degrees of "seriousness" on the round. That said it's a little odd to take gratuitous gimmes and then proclaim yourself the victor that's for sure.

Did he beat you? Yes, just ask him.
Should you have shot him down? Yes. A quick smile and a "let's play for dinner next time with no free 5 footers" would have given him the message.

4 foot gimmes - not a chance. Do most of you do gimmes, and if so what is the max distance? 1 foot or more?

Last edited:
4 foot gimmes - not a chance. Do you most of you do gimmes, and if so what is the max distance? 1 foot or more?

I give my father-in-law gimmies within 2 feet because he is a very good putter. If someone gives me a gimmie within a foot, I will take it. If it is longer than a foot, I will refuse and putt it in because I am not the best putter.

We have a guy in our regular group that does this all the time and then claims he shot 76, 78 whatever. We all just smile and let him have his moment, the rest of us putt out most anything over 2 ft unless it is a birdie or a rare eagle. we will give each other putts if things are moving slow or it is a straight in easy putt.

We do play for small money, but it is more a pride thing and we all are keeping caps so want things to be legit or as close as possible ( I realize you are supposed to hole out everything to be truly legit, but I doubt most on here play that way in casual rounds with friends).

I give my father-in-law gimmies within 2 feet because he is a very good putter. If someone gives me a gimmie within a foot, I will take it. If it is longer than a foot, I will refuse and putt it in because I am not the best putter.

If I am playing in a competition, I will take any gimmee offered. Just last week, markm778 gave me a few that I wouldn't have given myself. :D

If I'm playing for myself, I will put everything out. I have missed some embarrassingly close putts.

I had a friend that told me before we played that he was a 4 handicap. He did the same and when I made him putt out every hole, he missed several short putts. However, it doesn't matter as the player that does that has to sleep at night.

Not sure it matters, did you have a match with him? If not, not sure why it would matter what he did.

Not sure it matters, did you have a match with him? If not, not sure why it would matter what he did.

No match. I really don't care if the guy wants to take gimmies on 4 ft. putts but at the end of the round don't brag that you beat me by two strokes, especially when I have seen this guy miss 4 footers in league play

No match. I really don't care if the guy wants to take gimmies on 4 ft. putts but at the end of the round don't brag that you beat me by two strokes, especially when I have seen this guy miss 4 footers in league play

I know exactly what you mean and I have played with a few people like this. The only ways out are to either not really consider what he hit and ignore his bragging OR call him out on the gimmies and set some rules for counting them.

I am, of course, always trying to shoot the lowest score - we all are. But second to that, I subconciously want to score better than my playing partners. So even if we are not overtly playing a match, I am playing one in my head. If someone who gives himself 4-footers says he beat my by 2 strokes, then I will discount that "win" in my head and label him for future interactions. I know, I'm petty.

Did he beat you? Doesn't matter.
You played golf, finishing putts. He played drive/approach/chip.

This is a thing that is happening in our regular 4 some. 2 of us (me and my normal partner), play every shot, and finish every hole. The other two rake 5 foot putts and call it par, and never record a score higher than a 6. If w score the same score...... we almost never take the same number of strokes ;)

I am, of course, always trying to shoot the lowest score - we all are. But second to that, I subconciously want to score better than my playing partners. So even if we are not overtly playing a match, I am playing one in my head. If someone who gives himself 4-footers says he beat my by 2 strokes, then I will discount that "win" in my head and label him for future interactions. I know, I'm petty.

To each their own. If I don't have a match with you , I could care less what you shoot. I don't care if you brag about it after. I try not to sweat the small stuff

Back