A Man Hitting from the Red Tee. Post your thoughts.

So are you try to get a reduced slope number to 132? Is that the number you are shooting for?
More or less. I have played several courses where 142 minus your handicap is recommended on the scorecard. I will play shorter or longer depending on my group, but it's where I am most comfortable.

As someone who doesn't hit it very long I feel your pain. I try to play in the area of 5800 to 6200. 6200 for me though could be a killer depending upon par 4 and par 3 lengths. If I have to hit hybrids on 2 par threes or driver 3 wood on more than 5 par 4's I move up. The problem for me comes into play when I play in events that I'm forced to play longer yardages, I just can't keep up with everyone.

Champ 72.6/136 6717
Club 71.8/134 6511
Gold 68.6/125 5889
Red 69.5/120 5120

These are the rating/slope and yrdages for my coarse. What do you play and how to come to conclusion?

I am a 9.5. I play the club tees and don't look back.

Heres a great example though for me, I'm a 9.8 and if I tried to play from 6511 yards I'd probably shoot mid to high 90's but from 5889 I'd shoot high 70's to mid 80's.

Heres a great example though for me, I'm a 9.8 and if I tried to play from 6511 yards I'd probably shoot mid to high 90's but from 5889 I'd shoot high 70's to mid 80's.

I shoot mid to High 90's from 6511yds being forced to play that yardage during league. But the thing is that's what 98% of the league shoots but they scoff at moving up.

Here is a link to last weeks scores for our league to show what I am talking about. Go over to left menu and click on Weekly Individual Results. http://web.golfsoftware.net/18934/

Too keep up with the current craze play from any gender neutral tee you want.

Too keep up with the current craze play from any gender neutral tee you want.
Strangely enough, I just heard a talk about Caitlyn Jenner. As a man, Bruce Jenner was a 5 handicap. As a woman, there is debate at Caitlyn's club about which tees she should play from.

Play the tee that makes the game the most fun for you. To hell with everyone else.
Ding ding ding. ..I'd play the golds there like a BOSS.

Haven't done red yet.... yet

A number of courses in my area have begun putting up handicap->tee or drive distance->tee signs. Ditch the lady/mens/senior etc definitions and play what makes the game fun for your ability and length. You're out there spending your hard earned money so enjoy the game however you want.

Strangely enough, I just heard a talk about Caitlyn Jenner. As a man, Bruce Jenner was a 5 handicap. As a woman, there is debate at Caitlyn's club about which tees she should play from.

The same ones?

haha some people are stuck so far in the past, it's hilarious.

The same ones?

haha some people are stuck so far in the past, it's hilarious.
Well, the USGA says she has to establish a new handicap, and I suppose hormone meds and implants may impact the distance she hits the ball. Perhaps it will be interesting to see how something like this impacts ones golf game.

Well, the USGA says she has to establish a new handicap, and I suppose hormone meds and implants may impact the distance she hits the ball. Perhaps it will be interesting to see how something like this impacts ones golf game.

Interesting train of thought from the USGA to say the least.

Krispy, we've played together and I know your situation, play whatever tees you feel most comfortable with.

play whatever tees and enjoy..........

Play what matches your distance....

Play tees that a,e the game enjoyable and that let's you have a good toe and a chance at getting to the green in regulation. I support the tee it forward concept.

My course has dropped the old "mens" "senior" "ladies" tee BS and moved forward. Tees are now recommended by handicap on the score card. For official events, there is still a cutoff at age 50 for the club championship and other events where a handicap is used, but for pure pleasure rounds, play whatever tee you want. The score can still be posted, just be sure to choose the correct tee when entering the score or in our case, I just write what tee I was playing on the card and turn it in so the handicap chairman can post it later.

Tee it forward!

Play from where you are comfortable......who cares what anyone else says

So. Another post for me. At the beginning of this year I started playing blues at the recommendation of my wife and a couple of buddies. I did it for a while but struggled. When I went for a lesson I told my pro about playing blues and he asked me if I'm shooting in the 70's? He said unless I shoot in the 70's there is no point playing from the blues. It does nothing for your confidence. I'm back at whites and flirting with breaking 90 every time.

He actually gets his aspiring tour players to play a game. Start at the red tees at hole 1. Par or better move back. As you move from hole to hole, move accordingly. Par or better, move back to the next tees. Bogey or worse, move up a set of tees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to play from a set of tees that on the scorecard measured 6850 yards because my two buddies, both 10 years younger than me, and one's son - all long hitters - liked to play from there. I managed to compete with them and maintain a mid single digit handicap (5-7 range) because I got very good at hitting fairway woods and hybrids. The reality was, however, it wasn't much fun not being able to reach some of the par 4's in two or having to hit fairway woods all day.

Since retiring, I joined a club where the guys I play with, all fellow retirees with ages even up into their 70's, play from the regular "men's" tees measuring just under 6000 yards, with one of the guys who has had two hip replacements occasionally moving up to the senior tees. Never had so much fun! All the par 4's are reachable in two with short irons for me with a decent tee shot and fairway woods and hybrids have become my weakness because I get to hit so few. :)

Play from the tees where you have the most fun or that suits your game the best!

I have played the Reds a couple times on my own and found it an absolute joy ...

Excerpted quote says it all. Anytime you find anything in life that is an "absolute joy" you go for it - assuming it's legal and hurts no one else :D

As to League rounds, you are kinda stuck with their rules - but I feel your pain. Play with large group and we have 70 year olds getting the ball out 250-280 while I'm hoping to keep 'em all at 200-220. At age 70, when we have a tourney, they get to play up and I, at 68, have to play back. Wanna guess who wins. Even in a captains' choice format only 2-3 out of the 15-20 teams end up with one of these long, low 'cap hitters and they fight it out for the prizes. c'est la vie.

Play whatever tees you want. If anybody wants to giggle like a moron, that's their problem. I know you wouldn't have a problem telling them to shove it too if you had to. :beat-up:

A lot of posters already commented on the fact that the forward tees are sometimes called the "ladies" tees, and the connotation that name has. Today I played a par 3 course with my son, and on every hole we discussed the yardage difference and I simply asked if he wanted to hit from the reds or the whites. He often hit from the reds, which had him in or close to the fairway, and helped him avoid more than a few traps. I don't want him learning the game and thinking he can't do something that allows him to have more fun because it's from the "ladies" tees.

Also, I drive by a popular semi-private course almost daily, and I see men teeing off from the reds on one of those holes all the time. They're out there having fun, and that's all that matters.

Krispy, I've had the joy of playing with you in Pittsburgh. Play whatever tees you want and who cares what anyone says.

Thanks for all the comments and yes brian(mk24) is right in that I wouldn't have a problem telling them but I would much rather be able to convince them to do it with me and see how enjoyable it is.

Back