Swing harder to hit straighter

Something, something.........in Denmark.

For me some days that works, some days it doesn’t. Glad it works for you. At that length, I wouldn’t worry about swinging for distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

while I do certainly feel that too many people swing slow enough where as its more detrimental than helpful, I can also say that for the average person swinging as hard (or fast for possibly a better word) as you can is just not something most can do while still being efficiently sucessful.

Most anyone who can put most of what they have into the driver and also be very successful at it must have the ability to do so. But that is far more the rare and most don't have the ability to swing that way and keep the ball not only in play but also in the fairway. That is a talent that most people do not posses. And that doesn't mean its because they never tried it. So very many here and certainly on the outside have tried that and have learned through trial and error its just not something they are capable of. In fact I think it safe to say that most people progress with their game due to learning how not to do that. Generally speaking pertaining to most people.....not doing it (on contrary to what the OP says) is not imo what is preventing them from progressing but is one the reasons they actually have progressed. I think its all about swinging as fast as we can but that imo is means fastest possible within our means of a successful swing. Tw different things there.

Im not really caring for the generalization that this is a key for most in advancing. You have to be pretty darn good to do what is mentioned in the OP. A percentage of people are fortunate in golf. They are able to do these things in such a manor but most (for countless different reasons) are just not that fortunate. Most just cannot swing to their fastest potential with good (straight) results. I don't care how hard one works at it and/or how much they been through. You are fortunate if you can swing your hardest/fastest and have great success doing it.

Great for anyone who can and/or also finds its a key to great golf. I do think too many people swing too slow to a fault but that is not to say these same people need to swing with most all they got. I feel (saying again) we should indeed all swing as fast as we can but imo that only means to swing as "fast as we can within our means" of a successful result.

I think its a fact that most people are going to mess up poorly while swinging with most all they got.

I don't think it's bad advice for driver, you won't find many pros that think "smooth and easy" with that club IMO just from watching them play, they go after it every time.

Personally I do find my drives are better when I put a swing on it, and my worst are usually when there's trouble to avoid and I try to finesse the ball, so there is something to this, but only with driver of course.

Most pros do swing at it easy. Their swing speeds are higher than most but very few are swinging 100%.

I only agree with this if what is meant by swinging hard is swinging free...
Hank Haney feels that most amateurs do not swing hard enough...

I believe, that with a free, fast swing, there is no manipulation/steering of the club face which lets it return to square naturally producing the desired shot. Which may be straight.

As a self taught guy...every time I spend a couple of hours practicing an aspect of the game, I discover an epiphany that gets added to my golf swing notes!!!

I know it works for me...if i tell my buddies about it, they look at me funny and say, "whatever."

Sometimes if I do a lazy swing, the ball is unpredictable.
If I put a (good) swing on it, the ball goes more toward my intended target.
What I mean by "Good" swing is:
Take a complete backswing, shift weight, left shoulder under chin, coil-up, and start downswing with hip shift.
Then, the downswing feels powerful and I get max distance and it is accurate.
This could also feel like a "Hard" hit to some.

Most pros do swing at it easy. Their swing speeds are higher than most but very few are swinging 100%.

But does anyone under the age of 32 swing under 95% though? (with a driver)

I have days where everything is clicking and I can swing as hard as I want and hit the ball on a rope. Those days are few and far between. Most days I have to focus on tempo and staying relaxed so that everything fires in the right order at the right time.

I was curious so was looking at swing speed stats online at the pga site and most players slowest swing of the year was in the 92-95% range of their fastest driver swing. Most had 40-70 swings measured.

They also didn't account for club used so that might be the reason a few of the fast guys had a few lower ones since they can take 3w off the holes the PGA chose to measure on and have it not matter. Either way they go pretty hard at most swings with driver.

The younger than 32 part was just meant to say people who didn't use a balata ball as a junior.

Imo most the times most people in general use driver is because we are looking for the longest shot we can hit. if we want less we go with a shorter club. The driver imo is unique in that sense. Usually with evry other club we can grab the next longest but with driver there is nothing else. And so we are trying to hit as far as we can. As with anything ...yes of course there will always be exceptions in given scenarios. But normally we are looking for our full distance obtainable. But in order to obtain our max distance most of us need to tame our swing in order to find the tempo that will produce the shots with best results. hence why Ive said....as fast as we can within our means of being successful.

In all my decades of golf spent with poorer, decent, and really good players alike...Im not exaggerating when I say that 19 out of 20 times someone says they are going to give this one all they got, it ends up one their worst driver hits of the day. One must have the talent to do it and most all amateurs don't posses that.

I only agree with this if what is meant by swinging hard is swinging free...
Hank Haney feels that most amateurs do not swing hard enough...

I believe, that with a free, fast swing, there is no manipulation/steering of the club face which lets it return to square naturally producing the desired shot. Which may be straight.

As a self taught guy...every time I spend a couple of hours practicing an aspect of the game, I discover an epiphany that gets added to my golf swing notes!!!

I know it works for me...if i tell my buddies about it, they look at me funny and say, "whatever."

Concur. If I want to be assured of blocking from the tee, have me take a little off or more to the point "just try to put it out there safe". Wrong! Some rounds it takes me a hole or two to remember this (usually because I arrive at hole three ticked off that I have seemingly forgot how to hit a drive, then smite away to good results). Every other club in my bag including 3w require a little backing off/respond well to this thought process. Not my driver. Grip it and rip it is the only path to success for me. Granted my driver is set up with the shaft and loft for this type of shot and I'm sure I could achieve decent results if I set it up to take a little off.

As an aside, it's amazing how much more quality is built into clubs nowadays. I've had the same driver since March, first time in my life I haven't broke at least one for a full season. I've snapped shafts, the club head has cracked, if it's possible to break it a away, I've done it. I once even somewhat famously broke a brand new ball in half on a chilly morning. Today's gear is 100% light years better than 15 years ago, at least from a durability standpoint. The above mentioned breaking atrocities were done with name brand stuff too.

Back