PXG Launches College Golf Program

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why I laughed a bit when I read this, maybe because so much of some of these university lives these days are anti-capitalism, but I did laugh a little bit. Also glad to see both mens and womens teams included.

Six D1 schools so far.

Cal
Duke
Oklahoma
Oregon
SMU
Vanderbilt

The relationship provides equal support to both the men’s and women’s golf teams and allows for up to 10 full sets of golf clubs to be custom fitted for each.

Call me interested when he starts seeding equipment to schools that he can't leverage to his advantage in advertising.

Can't say he's not smart.

Were most of these schools previously associated with Nike, and still have apparel deals with Nike? Oregon definitely, but can't remember on the others.

• Admin
Were most of these schools previously associated with Nike, and still have apparel deals with Nike? Oregon definitely, but can't remember on the others.

I believe so, yes.

I don't know much about college golf, does this mean all of their players will use pxg, or just have the opportunity to?

I don't know much about college golf, does this mean all of their players will use pxg, or just have the opportunity to?

Not with them offering up only 10 sets. I imagine most of these programs are running 8-10 players on each side. PXG is basically saying "well provide equipment to the guys/gals we have a better chance of signing to pro deals."

• Admin
Not with them offering up only 10 sets. I imagine most of these programs are running 8-10 players on each side. PXG is basically saying "well provide equipment to the guys/gals we have a better chance of signing to pro deals."

They said 10 sets each as far as I know.

The release said 10 sets per side? Are you saying some players will use more than 1 set?

They said 10 sets each as far as I know.

Then I am in the wrong. This would be a good deal then as it should apply to all players, not just the 5 that make the travel teams.

The release said 10 sets per side? Are you saying some players will use more than 1 set?

I was mistaken and thought the 10 applied to both women and men combined.

So their players will be forced to play pxg?

So their players will be forced to play pxg?

I can't imagine forced. My guess if they will carry PXG bags and PXG covers but still play their equipment. Ping and Titleist have been running programs like this forever.

Cal is now Under Armour but previously was Nike

I thought they had changed recently, if I remember right they got way more than I would have guessed for apparel.

I thought they had changed recently, if I remember right they got way more than I would have guessed for apparel.

"Sources say the deal is worth almost $86 million in cash and product. It includes a $3 million signing bonus, $3.5 million in cash per year and an average annual product allowance of $4.76 million.

The new pact is worth much more than what Nike was paying the Golden Bears. In the final year of its Nike deal, Cal will receive $2 million in product and $150,000 in cash. Its cash intake will increase more than 2,000 percent in 2017-18."

Huge increase

I like seeing this. Why not?

I have a couple of Dukie's and have seen the men's and women's golf teams sporting Nike golf bags in the past. Still wearing the swoosh of course. Coach K will never let that deal die.

Cant say I'm surprised. Gets the clubs into more hands and it creates more talk for younger players.

"Sources say the deal is worth almost $86 million in cash and product. It includes a $3 million signing bonus, $3.5 million in cash per year and an average annual product allowance of $4.76 million.

The new pact is worth much more than what Nike was paying the Golden Bears. In the final year of its Nike deal, Cal will receive $2 million in product and $150,000 in cash. Its cash intake will increase more than 2,000 percent in 2017-18."

Huge increase

If that goes into the golf budget for both genders then that is a great deal and really helps them. If it goes into the general athletic budget which is where the funding for the shoe company contracts go that is another thing. Granted the coaches get some upfront money if they promote the brand.If feels like a smart move. I have noticed several different brands in my limited time looking into the bags at Duke golf.

Best place to get exposure to the crop of the future smart move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about golf equipment but for general sporting goods / affiliation Cal switched to UA (away from Nike) about a year ago.

Best place to get exposure to the crop of the future smart move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly

Glad to see they included the women's teams as well. Good way to start to influence the younger demographic.

Back