Lowering swing weight

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I want to try and lower my swing weight on my irons, with the new Recoils on the way it may be my ideal time to address this. By my estimates, my current Big Bertha OS irons are sitting at @ D2/D3 with the 1/2" length. Callaway sells the stock graphite at a D0. The heads to my irons feel a bit on the heavy side compared to other brand demo clubs I pick up in shops.

What are my best options to bring it back down? Does lead tape on the shaft just below the grip help since it is below my hands? My grips are currently the SuperStroke Cross Comfort midsize which are advertised at 50g. Should I bite the bullet and go back to the heavier GP CP2 Pro midsize that are 63.5g to help offset the weight balance? Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Heavier grips or backweighting the butt end of the shaft will bring the swing weight down. But doing either will increase the overall weight of the club so you have to keep that in mind as well.

Heavier grips or backweighting the butt end of the shaft will bring the swing weight down. But doing either will increase the overall weight of the club so you have to keep that in mind as well.

The shaft weight of the 760 Recoil is only 68g so I'm not overly concerned about the entire club weight getting too out of control. If I understand correctly, 5g of grip weight should equal 1 point so maybe I need to go to a heavier grip at around 60g.

Take a 10 and 20g bolt you can buy from home depot for 5 cents each. Stick either in the hole of your grip, swing the club and see if it makes a difference for you. If not, don't worry about fixing it. Just swing the club the way it is and enjoy. Most people can't feel SW changes even as much as 6 points. You for sure won't feel 13g more in the grip by changing grips.

You're opening up your mind to a lot of head game trouble if you start worrying about SW when you should only worry about results. Only thing that matters in golf is does the ball land where you want it with the club you're swinging.

Don't over think all this or next thing you know you'll be spending tons of money doing MOI matching, tipping everything, counter weighting, adjusting loft and lie per club for perfect gapping and ball flight, etc etc. Stay away from that rabbit hole.

Also, reducing shaft weight also changes SW. so consider that.

The shaft weight of the 760 Recoil is only 68g so I'm not overly concerned about the entire club weight getting too out of control. If I understand correctly, 5g of grip weight should equal 1 point so maybe I need to go to a heavier grip at around 60g.
That is correct. 5 grams extra grip weight reduces swing weight by 1 point. I am assuming you are coming from a heavier shaft. Going to a lighter shaft will bring it down also.

Take a 10 and 20g bolt you can buy from home depot for 5 cents each. Stick either in the hole of your grip, swing the club and see if it makes a difference for you. If not, don't worry about fixing it. Just swing the club the way it is and enjoy. Most people can't feel SW changes even as much as 6 points. You for sure won't feel 13g more in the grip by changing grips.

You're opening up your mind to a lot of head game trouble if you start worrying about SW when you should only worry about results. Only thing that matters in golf is does the ball land where you want it with the club you're swinging.

Don't over think all this or next thing you know you'll be spending tons of money doing MOI matching, tipping everything, counter weighting, adjusting loft and lie per club for perfect gapping and ball flight, etc etc. Stay away from that rabbit hole.

Also, reducing shaft weight also changes SW. so consider that.

I understand that. The shafts are pretty light as it is and I've played heavier shafts before. I guess I'm trying to fine tune the feel of the lighter shafts. I almost feel that the lighter shaft weight make me more sensitive to the weight difference between the head and the butt end. Perhaps it is the lack of weight in between. It's not super drastic but the head end does feel a bit heavier. I'm not going to sweat it but I am interested in testing it to see if I can feel the difference. Perhaps your home depot suggestion might make the most sense to experiment without making a drastic change.

I understand that. The shafts are pretty light as it is and I've played heavier shafts before. I guess I'm trying to fine tune the feel of the lighter shafts. I almost feel that the lighter shaft weight make me more sensitive to the weight difference between the head and the butt end. Perhaps it is the lack of weight in between. It's not super drastic but the head end does feel a bit heavier. I'm not going to sweat it but I am interested in testing it to see if I can feel the difference. Perhaps your home depot suggestion might make the most sense to experiment without making a drastic change.

It's the cheapest way to find out. And if you find you like the extra counter balancing I'd recommend wrapping lead tape for the cheap fix or TourLoc for something reusable. TourLoc tends to get the weight furthest from the fulcrum so adds less overall weight to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Counterbalancing is just a way to cheat a swingweight scale, adds to the clubs overall weight, changes the clubs swing feel and dynamics and is not the same as a club built to a lower SW.

The easiest true way to really lower the SW is to shorten the shaft a 1/2", regrip and swing away.

Adding weight to a grip is just tricking the scale. Swingweight is an arbitrary measurement. I could make a club that weighs 20 pounds have a light swingweight

Adding weight to a grip is just tricking the scale. Swingweight is an arbitrary measurement. I could make a club that weighs 20 pounds have a light swingweight

I think that is what I am trying to do. I have a head that weighs approximately 256g, a shaft that weighs 68g before trimming and a 50g weight based on online numbers I've seen.

By my rough estimates, 69% of the weight is in the head. If I switch to a heavier 63g midsize grip, I estimate that drops the overall head weight to 66% of the total weight on the club. The impacts might even be a bit greater if you take the actual shaft weight after trimming into consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but my point is the club won't feel that swingweight as if you did it in a more true fashion such as removing weight from the head. Therefore there isn't really a point

Back