Play This Shot - 8/12

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Brutal lie here. Ball way below the feet. Pin is about 140 away. Bunker left and red stake hazard left. Can make decent contact on the ball but no guarantees.

Other notes: There is a decent amount of room in front of the hole, with a slope about midway through the green that filters right. Greens are firm and rolling at about an 11.

ada73f9c2dde40afda63c51c742450de.jpg

Some added info. Pin is basically where the white blob is on the green here. Also note the front of the green is the smallest area to land the ball.

c4ec6dc050ab0ab57f8b8fc4c128a3d0.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going 9i and will probably thin it lol hopefully will roll up somewhere close

Open stance to the target, PW (maybe choked down 9I) for me just aiming to hit the center of the green.

Lots of praying...

Play to the left for sure, worst case scenario you're in the bunker. Maybe a lower lofted club and more of a punch/hook to keep it left???

I might consider a 7i or 6i and try to to just run it on the ground to the front of the green with a 1/2 or 3/4 type of punch shot

Taking a soft 9 iron to the front left of the green, because many times I will get a bit of a flyer lie out of there. Angle should make the ball come back a tiny bit and moving my hands closer to the butt end of the club for good contract.

My only swing thought here is to stay down and through and trust my aim.

140 would generally be a 9 iron, but I'd probably go with an 8i or 7i just for the extra length with the ball below my feet, and take a 1/2 to 3/4 swing lining up to the left side of the green, hoping to fade right because of the lie.

I'm going AW there, odds are I get a bit of a flier so AW at worst should leave me on the the front of the green, plus it's a club I have faith in where contact is concerned from a stance like that.

Playing in the foothills of NC for so many years, I played this shot at least once a round. Easy 9i, aim 5 feet-ish right of the left fringe and let it fly.

Aiming left edge of green with a smooth PW. I won't hit it my typical 140 yards with the ball that far below my feet. Good contact should fade just a bit, flier gets all the way to the hole. In that lie there's also the possibility of digging the heel just a bit which could result in a pull, and in that case I'm hoping for bunker.

Water hazard doesn't cause me too much worry here as long as I make a smooth but aggressive swing. Only way I end up there is if I try too hard to guide it and hit a flare, so I just won't do that.

I'd take my GW or PW, aim at the bunker and go. Expecting a little fade from the lie. If it comes up short, plan for the firmness to allow the ball to release. If I get a flier, those clubs should get me on the green. That's my plan anyways

Perfect world, 9i bounces up and on.

Likely, I top it since it's below my feet and I hit a slicing rocket to the right.

I'm aiming left edge of the green and expecting the ball to come out right on me. A punch 9i should give enough height to get it to stay on the green. If it comes out soft, there's enough room short center that I would have a good lie for a third, with no real hazards in the way so I would have numerous options to consider and mess up :/

Either a PW or AW depending on wind and lie (flyer lie or no flyer lie). Hit down, muscle through, and hope.

Play it right at the pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8i with an open stance, that usually travels 125, aiming to front /left edge of green.

Whatever the yardage is to the front left of the green, I'm playing for that. If I get a little flier, then it lands deep on the green. Even if I chunk it a little bit (much more likely), it's in the fairway short of the green with an uphill pitch (at least it looks like that) to get up and down for par. I don't want to bring missing right of the green into play with those rocks to the side of the green. Assuming the front of the green is 130 or so, I'll take a PW and swing easy; when I swing hard at the ball below my feet, I tend to open my shoulders and pull the ball off of that lie.

Is pin at the back, front, or middle here? Can't tell, but if it's back (making the middle closer to 130) I'm going PW to be safe. If 140 is front or middle, then I go 9i for the middle of the green distance, focus on contact, swing smooth, aim just off the left side of the green. Off a downhill lie like that, ball should tend to fade, so if I hit my target line that should put me center of the green.

Job 1: we are not going in the water. Anything short or on the green is fine, I will have a reasonable chance at making par from there. The bunker for a probable bogey is a lesser of two evils situation.

This distance puts me between clubs. I probably play a partial 9i shot, looking for control over distance. I'm going to be very careful to align myself at the left fringe and stay down and through the ball.

pw, aim at the bunker on the left, assume it's going to cut just a bit. set the weight left with plenty of knee flex, and be sure to hit down and through, no picky-lifty-thinny. if it's short, no biggie.

Some added info. Pin is basically where the white blob is on the green here. Also note the front of the green is the smallest area to land the ball.

c4ec6dc050ab0ab57f8b8fc4c128a3d0.jpg

Yep, 9i to center yardage and swing easy.

This ball is above my feet, so I am taking a PW, choking down a little and aiming a little left of the green anticipating a draw.

I'm hitting PW at the left bunker. If it cuts a bit, then it's on the green. If not, I'm hitting a sand shot which I don't mind at all.

This ball is above my feet, so I am taking a PW, choking down a little and aiming a little left of the green anticipating a draw.
Crazy lefties.

Good solid, high 9-iron starting inside the bunker. Should cut to the center/back portion of the green.

Back