Golf Medication for Aches Pains Mobility - Please post tips to keep swinging 100%

ProZoneGolf

Clubmaker/Fitter
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf Medication for Aches Pains Mobility - Please post your tips to keep swinging

Some of my Top aides

Aleve
Blu Emu
Castor Oil on joints, back, hands, elbows, knees, skin etc...like rubbing on Mobil 1
Good Feet Plastic insoles
Good Nights Sleep!

Yoga is an important part of it for us older hackers

Stretching, Icy Hot and Rock Tape

Couple sips of swing fluid on the 1st tee, repeat as needed.

I take a couple Aleve every morning & usually ice my right knee when I'm through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I take four Tylenols an hour before every round.

Aleve and Ibuprofen don't work for me.

No more steel shafts (except putter) and triple strength Glucosamine Chondroitin daily.

Aleve, BioFreeze, and Fireball. These cure almost all aches and pains.

Forgot to mention I am on HA, Haloronic Acid.
Its a Joint lubricant, Takes 2 weeks to work after taking it daily. I started taking it after hearing a Senior Tour player reported he could walk more comfortable bare foot on a hardwood floor after using it. Get it from the health food store or amazon. look for high milligram caps.
http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Hya...C_UL160_SR89,160_&refRID=12CTC7M09D39NMP0H6X4
NB the castor oil rub is a must have...get it from Publix etc. Put it on at night before bed so it has the night to soak in, by morn the skin is dry ready to go.
Read the reviews on its uses: http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Hya...C_UL160_SR89,160_&refRID=12CTC7M09D39NMP0H6X4

One thing that I'll add to this. If you have pain and take a pain med, regardless of what that is, don't wait until you get pain to take it or it will be too late. If you regularly get pain by the back nine, take something when you start the round.

I keep ibuprofen in my bag and I'll usually take something at the turn since my soreness will hit around 15-16.

For me, and all the joint issues ( genetics can be a biotch) I deal with this is what I need to get through a round.

Motrin - I take 4 before a round. Only time I take this stuff

Capzacin patch - single best thing I have found to deal with low back tightness when playing.

Bio-Freeze. Helps with stiffness, etc after the round.

Other, non-medical aids

Stretch - often. I find with this though, much better to do this when the muscles are warm. Static stretching can be bad with cold muscles, plus if you are doing it before a round it shuts down the CNS and has the opposite effect of what is desired. Dynamic stretches are much better to do when warming up.

Chiropractic / massage. I see my chiro at least once a month, and try to get a massage monthly as well.

Will try the castor oil PZ!

Stretching, bananas, a good night's sleep, and proper fundamentals. I fixed a discomfort on my right side by doing what Tom Watson advocated, which was to start the downswing by planting my left heel. Apparently I was doing something wrong, which was kicking off my right foot to start the downswing. I just wish now I knew that tip earlier.

I'm one of those guys who don't like taking medicine, even multi vitamins. The last time I popped a pill was, oh, years ago.

Last edited:
stretching for the shoulders, hips, and chest. and i'm only 49! i drink too frequently to take nsaids

Chiro every three weeks and KT Tape on my stupid foot.

KT tape on my knee.
Rotator cuff exercises
Stretching
2 Advil before the round and another Advil at the turn.

I think it's important to find what actually works for you. I'm the same way--Aleve and Ibuprofen do very little to help my pain.

I think it's important to find what actually works for you. I'm the same way--Aleve and Ibuprofen do very little to help my pain.

The anti-inflammatory dosage of Ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil) is 800mg which is 4 OTC pills at time. To maximize it's effect that dosage should be taken every 8 hours for 24 hours. One dose of 200mg of Ibuprofen is virtually useless.

The anti-inflammatory dosage of Ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil) is 800mg which is 4 pills at time. To maximize it's effect that dosage should be taken every 8 hours for 24 hours. One dose of 200mg of Ibuprofen is virtually useless.
With my year+ struggle with elbow tendinitis, I am well aware of dosage and strengths. When discussing with my ortho, the conclusion we came to was that everyone is different, and responds to different types of medicines differently. That was my point.

With my year+ struggle with elbow tendinitis, I am well aware of dosage and strengths. When discussing with my ortho, the conclusion we came to was that everyone is different, and responds to different types of medicines differently. That was my point.

I understand, but most people aren't as aware of that as you and generally take the wrong dosage of these meds for what they expect it to do. I was offering my take on your advice. With my 15+ years in the medical field, I find there are many more of what I describe, than your experience. Take it easy. My comment wasn't a person shot at you.

overweight bad back guy here. I developed a smooth tempo, non-violent golf swing - my back rarely gets sore from actually swinging a golf club. Extended putting practice for 15 minutes or more KILLS my back. Worst is walking - I can only walk 9 holes with a pull cart & that's the only time I will take 2 ibuprofen as a preventative - works wonders.

I generally try to stay away from too many pills so I recently started a daily regimen of pure tart cherry juice (6oz). My main issue is some chronic stiffness in my fingers and hands. The juice tastes bad, but it seems to be helping more than I thought it would. Realizing after reading the thread that I should experiment mixing in various 'swing lubricants' to up the effectiveness and improve the flavor.

I had acl reconstruction surgery and I wear a donjoy knee brace and it helps protect it from excess stress. It feels a lot better after golf with it than with out. I didn't even feel it right away but it did bother me a few days after. Wasn't taking any chances even though it was just some stiffness.

That and icing it always helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stretching and Biofreeze for my shoulder (2 surgeries) and elbow (inflammation).

Back