Are you a 1 type or brand of ball golfer?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I was just thinking about golf balls. There are so many great choices out there today yet many say they only play a certain type of ball. I know guys that will only play Pro V's and thats it, they don't carry junk balls, they don't carry another brand only Pro V's. Personally I can usually find anywhere from 3-5 brands in my bag on any given day. Maybe its because I haven't found a golf ball I truly love just yet or maybe its because I like variety. It got me wondering if I stuck with only 1 type or brand of ball if I would see any more consistency in my game or scores.

So are you a 1 type or brand of ball golfer or do you like variety?

I only play Snell MTB. If I find a golf ball on the course, I give it to some of my friends. I don't believe in playing found balls.

I will try different balls, but I am partial to the Wilson Duo.

I've got a collection of brands and versions that I can use, ranging from Top-Flite Gamer to premium balls like B330-RX or the Chrome Soft. I will say that I truly am enamored with the Truvis pattern, which has kept me coming back to the Chrome Softs lately.

I play a variety but color is starting to be important enough to me that it narrows down what I will play (has to meet a $ threshold as well).

I would like to stick to one brand, but haven't quite found the ball I like. Also having several dozen of balls right now, that makes me not want to try anything new until my current stock runs out. As it stands i'm between 3 different balls that I am playing.

Variety for the most part.

I think in the last 12 months ive gamed:

Bridgestone 330RX
Srixon Z-Star
Wilson FG Tour
Srixon Q-Star Tour

I enjoy switching it up when I'm not testing. I have four brands that I keep on hand.

I have a few that I like and will switch between

Snell MTB (Current ball)
Chrome Soft
PV1X

I don't play found balls.

for almost all of this year i've only played snell mtb. i have a few stragglers from callaway and bridgestone in my junk ball pocket of my bag, but if i need to go in there i root around for a snell first. unless i feel the snell starts underperforming in some way, i don't see a reason to change.

One brand and same model.

for almost all of this year i've only played snell mtb. i have a few stragglers from callaway and bridgestone in my junk ball pocket of my bag, but if i need to go in there i root around for a snell first. unless i feel the snell starts underperforming in some way, i don't see a reason to change.

I just tossed my last MTB from the event last week and that was because it hit a cart path. Have to say the MTB really is a great ball.

In my bag right now

Srixon Z-Star
Srixon Q-Star
Chrome Soft **
Pro V1
Duo Urethane

I keep one ball in my bag for a round, but I cycle through 4-5 different balls at a time - my two gamers right now are Truvis and B330

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will tinker with different brands at the beginning or end of a season but during the main league play and weekend rounds I stick with one Brand / Ball. This is something new I've been trying looking for consistency and it has seemed to help. My scores at league were pretty consistent this year and I felt I had better understanding of what the ball was going to do when I swing. This year it has been the Srixon Z-Star. This offseason I'm going to load up when the new model get released.

Last edited:
I haven't found a ball that has made me want to play it exclusively. I will play most any multilayer ball and get about that same performance from them all. Maybe I am missing something but my game doesn't seem to suffer from playing the wide variety

A have a couple different balls I really like and a couple more that are pretty good for me also, I just can't absolutely narrow it down to one. I do have a favorite, but I still think there's areas where other balls excel more so I don't limit myself.

I use many different type of balls throughout the season but try to play 1 brand per round but sometimes even switch that up. Some include callaway supersoft, srixon q star, titlelist nxt tour or prov1x, wilson duo

I play 1 ball mostly. I tried a bunch of different balls earlier this year and went right back.

I usually play 1 ball for the season, but not forever, that would be weird.

I used to use a few brands but have gone back to one brand. Will use different models from that brand as seasons change. Prov1 and 1x are my normal and nxt tour or tour s in cooler temps and will be curious about the new dt ball

Not right now. End of the season is coming and I'm playing all the balls ive found over the past year.

I was Chrome Soft** for a while, probably until they released the Chrome Soft X. When i was gaming that ball, it made me feel like i was leaving some things on the table in terms of performance. So i went back to the Chrome Soft **. But since then, its been a mix of the Chrome Soft**, B330, Z Star XV and ProV1x

I choose my balls primarily by price. I buy something that’s usually one step up from the bottom of the barrel. $15 a dozen is about the most I’m willing to pay, knowing on any given day I may lose the majority of that dozen.

I think I would be better off sticking to one ball probably, but who knows with the inconsistency of my swing. I usually stock up on deals on any urethane ball that comes along.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back