Packing Forgiveness Into Irons in 2015

I use some old Hogan Apex Plus's, not because of ego thing or anything (I'm not very good) but because I've always been of the mind that it's the Indian, not the arrow so a change in clubs probably wouldn't make a ton of difference. But now you guys have me contemplating getting something newer. What would be some good newer irons I might be able to get used for cheap that still have a lot of newer tech?

Well, I believe you will be at a company HQ as part of a THP Event coming up soon, so you might want to start there. :D
Lots of great options out there.

Well, I believe you will be at a company HQ as part of a THP Event coming up soon, so you might want to start there. :D
Lots of great options out there.

Haha ok :D I actually had Cleveland TA5s before the Hogans, but those are pretty old tech as well.

I've always been of the mind that it's the Indian, not the arrow so a change in clubs probably wouldn't make a ton of difference.

Not directed at you personally Ken but I hear this saying a lot...

Does anyone really think if we could go back and give an actual Indian the bows and arrows of today that he wouldn't be better?

I know that is quite literal but something I always think when I hear that. Materials and technology have evolved all over the world. We may not see a big difference from one year to the next but after a few cycles, technology has definitely changed and usually for the better IMO

Not directed at you personally Ken but I hear this saying a lot...

Does anyone really think if we could go back and give an actual Indian the bows and arrows of today that he wouldn't be better?

I know that is quite literal but something I always think when I hear that. Materials and technology have evolved all over the world. We may not see a big difference from one year to the next but after a few cycles, technology has definitely changed and usually for the better IMO

A more modern example could be Carlos Hathcock and Chris Kyle. And I think you are correct.

Is the only measure of one's golfing ability a lower score?
I am fairly confident that this is how the rules say we should determine a winner in a given tournament, isnt it?

I don't want to bash you opinion or anything, but I don't get this argument, I really thought the goal of the game was to put the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes possible. now if someone wants to use differents tools to do it and they feel like it will help them enjoy the game more now I want them to feel like they can do it. I am guilty of this too by playing a club that is way above my abilities, but I will not use that as an excuse, because I chose to use a sub optimal piece of equipement for my game.

I am fairly confident that this is how the rules say we should determine a winner in a given tournament, isnt it?

I don't want to bash you opinion or anything, but I don't get this argument, I really thought the goal of the game was to put the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes possible. now if someone wants to use differents tools to do it and they feel like it will help them enjoy the game more now I want them to feel like they can do it. I am guilty of this too by playing a club that is way above my abilities, but I will not use that as an excuse, because I chose to use a sub optimal piece of equipement for my game.

I know that for me, the only way I can measure my game is by my scores. How else do I measure it? My swing on video? The scorecard doesn't show pictures, videos or equipment used. It is pure and simple. It simply shows a number and that's exactly how we're all judged.

How we all measure our enjoyment is totally different as I don't believe you can quantify the amount of fun or joy you have on the course.

It's like being a range golfer (which I'm guilty of). I find a groove on the range and look like I know what I'm doing and have a decently technically sound swing, but then I don't translate that to the actual game on course. So what good does it do me?

Doesn't TEE have a a set of hollow body muscle backs?

Doesn't TEE have a a set of hollow body muscle backs?

If they currently do, I have not seen them. Could be missing it though.

A more modern example could be Carlos Hathcock and Chris Kyle. And I think you are correct.
If only they'd had the Barrett M107 at the Alamo.

Yeah those I know about, but definitely not muscle backs to me.
I think by definition a hollow club can't be called a muscle back, since there's no metal right behind the face to be the "muscle".

Clubs like those, the Big Bertha irons, etc. can have a flat(ish) back and be hollow inside, but that isn't going to make them muscle backs. More like enclosed cavity backs, since there's clearly a cavity behind the face. I'm thinking of the Callaway Apex UT, which from the back looks almost exactly like a Callaway Apex MB, but is hollow inside.

Yeah those I know about, but definitely not muscle backs to me.

Agreed, closest I see to a MB on their site and it does have some hollow in the design. But even by name it's called a CB.

It really is amazing how good club makers have gotten at keeping iron forgiveness sleek and hidden. Callaway Apex, Srixon 545, Cleveland Black CB, all spring to mind as irons that are just very sleek at address but produce some stellar results even for a hacker like me.

I'm not sure how well or inevitable the translation will be to a "forgiving blade." I think it's more likely that more players will opt for smaller cavity black irons like the AP2, Apex Pro, and similar irons as they grow up and spend more and more time coming through the ranks using these small but forgiving cavity backs. I don't think blades will ever go away, but I see them becoming an increasingly niche product over the next decade.

The crazy thing is that even with all of the advances in iron tech over the past few years, I know 4 out of the top 10 golfers in my club are still playing Ping i3 irons. I suppose there is something to be said about playing what you are familiar and comfortable with.
Of course I can't say much, seeing as how I'm still playing G10's. That being said, I've been pondering irons for a while now, but just haven't had a chance to demo any of the more recent offerings.

Back