Philo1

Reaction score
Handicap
I have quite a few actually.

1. Do irons actually wear out?

2. Why do you buy new irons?

3. How often do you buy new irons?

4. If your current set wasn't particularly old, or worn out.....would you still buy a new set?

Thanks.

First question.....yes.....irons actually do wear out - eventually.....I mean that seems pretty obvious. But when? I've been playing two years now, and my first set Callaway Xhot, is scratched and dinged/marked....but still seem to play just fine.

My second set, Miz JPX 850 forged....look just fine. They're not really too scratched up or dinged....I've been playing them about a year. But, they don't make the same sound. They used to make a click when flushed.....now they make more of a thwack.

It's not terrible, they don't sound bad or anything.....just different. They seem to perform as good as they always have.

Have you ever experienced this?

Last question.

Let's say I wanted to get a used set of Callaway Apex CF16's in really good condition. If this is the iron that I think would be really good, what other irons would you consider comparable?

Thanks.

4. If your current set wasn't particularly old, or worn out.....would you still buy a new set?

Thanks.

1. I don't think so. Maybe after 15 years or more.

2. My old irons didn't do something as well as my new irons.

3. Every 3 to 8 years

4. I have no intentions on buying new irons and they aren't all that new my set is s 2014 release.

Mmmmmm. I'm gonna prob be in a huge minority here but irons don't wear out, imo. They can become unplayable due to wear in the wrong place or bc of breakage, etc, but you could do that to a brand new one. There is certainly more "tech" in a new set and that can help fix issues if you are having them. Some guys just like to get new stuff but I like to stick to what I love. I love my Cobra Oversize originals from 1996. 21 years old and to me, best sticks I could own. Still look great and I hit them well. I recently tried some Callaway X18r but they played about 1.5 clubs shorter than my Cobras and I wasn't that impressed. If I were to ever change, it would be to get professionally fitted for (hopefully) new Cobras.

Yeah you can especially forged which are softer. If you are only playing on weekends then you probably will be itching for new clubs before they actually wear out. Wedges especially, those maybe every year or 2.

Mmmmmm. I'm gonna prob be in a huge minority here but irons don't wear out, imo. They can become unplayable due to wear in the wrong place or bc of breakage, etc, but you could do that to a brand new one. There is certainly more "tech" in a new set and that can help fix issues if you are having them. Some guys just like to get new stuff but I like to stick to what I love. I love my Cobra Oversize originals from 1996. 21 years old and to me, best sticks I could own. Still look great and I hit them well. I recently tried some Callaway X18r but they played about 1.5 clubs shorter than my Cobras and I wasn't that impressed. If I were to ever change, it would be to get professionally fitted for (hopefully) new Cobras.

Great answer.

Yeah you can especially forged which are softer. If you are only playing on weekends then you probably will be itching for new clubs before they actually wear out. Wedges especially, those maybe every year or 2.

Yes....I can see that. I've actually replaced wedges once already, and I'm ready to pick up another just to try a 58. I think I just may want a new set to see if I can do any better than I am right now. Probably won't because I've seen a guy with old and not so great clubs play fantastic golf and he doesn't even practice. I play at least 3-4 times a week, with practice and games, and if I'm not real busy with work I can go about 5 times a week.

I have never came remotely close to wearing out any golf club! I buy new irons prolly every 2 years because I like new shiny things...lol As for wear you can wear the grooves down I guess and flight, spin etc could be affected but I doubt you can actually wear them out.

Thanks.

1. Not in my lifetime. That said cosmetic deterioration is a bigger factor to me.
2. Want the new Juju....
3. I'm at the end of 2 seasons and getting the itch. Can't see getting through full third without something new.
4. see my answer to #2

I'm really hoping JB and gang will solve this dilema for me with the titleist iron contest!!!!

Last question.

Let's say I wanted to get a used set of Callaway Apex CF16's in really good condition. If this is the iron that I think would be really good, what other irons would you consider comparable?

Thanks.

The CF 16's are a great set of irons, I actually bought a CF16 6 iron to give it a proper test when shopping for irons a year ago. I prefer the Srixon Z765 and Z565's. IMO, they have better forgiveness on thin misses and I prefer the turf interaction of their V-soles.

The only clubs I have worn out have been wedges, especially when I was younger and practicing a crazy amount and hitting lots of sand shots. I have also cracked or shattered the face on 3 Callaway fairway woods in the last few years. I initially considered it bad luck but after the 3rd one this summer it's more likely a design flaw. Yes, I still play Callaway for both of my fairway woods.

Thanks.

1. Irons do wear out. The face and groves wear with time.

2.Maybe people buy new irons to update technology

3. Average people buy new irons about every 5 years according to my pro swing coach

4. Upgrade to new technology for game improvement

Back