#Cookie

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
Have an older 27” iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and want to get it as updated as possible. Can’t even access photos or App Store as it needs MAC OS X 10.7 or later. What’s the best route to proceed (and hopefully cost efficient)?

Will only be used for web browsing, streaming video, etc. thanks in advance!!

I’ve backed up everything so ideally would like to wipe drive and start over. About specs:

7022e7a6b9457a5b5584ff1215673679.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an iMac, so you should be able to upgrade all the way to the latest operating system. I think the best way would be to restore via whatever means came with the machine, and then upgrade to Sierra (soon to be High Sierra in a week or so). The new OS are in the App Store.

For performance, I'd probably add RAM to get to 8GB or so as well.

I had to order a disk in order to update mine. Was $20 from Apple. Then upgraded as far as possible. I would also consider going to 8gb of ram. My iMac that was $35 and really easy to install under the bottom of the screen.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

Thanks gents, looks like I will need the disk but I’ll double check when back home. Will also look at ram increase.

I have the Snow Leopard disk. Will have to see if I have original boot disk by chance.

Thanks gents, looks like I will need the disk but I’ll double check when back home. Will also look at ram increase.

I have the Snow Leopard disk. Will have to see if I have original boot disk by chance.

Could you not download onto a USB drive and do it from there?

We were able to download Sierra onto a thumb drive with another machine and install it on our older iMacs. It worked great, and really makes you appreciate the App Store.

I can't even launch the App store right now, it literally has a circle with a white line through it over the icon. I do have a thumb drive and will see if I can download to that somehow then boot off there.

The good part is, once you get past the $20 fee the rest are free upgrades. Kinda of a pain to install one and then upgrade again right away but went pretty smoothly.

It's an iMac, so you should be able to upgrade all the way to the latest operating system. I think the best way would be to restore via whatever means came with the machine, and then upgrade to Sierra (soon to be High Sierra in a week or so). The new OS are in the App Store.

For performance, I'd probably add RAM to get to 8GB or so as well.

I bought the 21" iMac and paid $1200 for the thing. It use to always tell me when there was a system upgrade, and so I upgraded whenever I could. Then, all of a sudden they tell me there is no more upgrades available for my iMac. It's not terribly old.

I bought the 21" iMac and paid $1200 for the thing. It use to always tell me when there was a system upgrade, and so I upgraded whenever I could. Then, all of a sudden they tell me there is no more upgrades available for my iMac. It's not terribly old.

Any iMac since late 2009 should be able to run Sierra.

I want to say this is a 2009 iMac. We couldn’t go to the current release but the one just below it. I have a 2008 MacBook Pro that just got notice that is no longer being supported, definitely have gotten my money’s worth I feel.

This is beyond frustrating. On 10.6.8, no software updates available and I can't access the App store to download 10.7 as it states: "You have Mac*OS*X 10.6.8. The application requires Mac*OS*X 10.7 or later.".

Literally stuck since Snow Leopard (10.6.8) was last OS X made available on disk which I already have. Can't even download Lion or El Capitan to a flash drive since I can't get into the app store.

This is beyond frustrating. On 10.6.8, no software updates available and I can't access the App store to download 10.7 as it states: "You have Mac*OS*X 10.6.8. The application requires Mac*OS*X 10.7 or later.".

Literally stuck since Snow Leopard (10.6.8) was last OS X made available on disk which I already have. Can't even download Lion or El Capitan to a flash drive since I can't get into the app store.

Can you get into one from a different mac? Apple Store nearby?

Can you get into one from a different mac? Apple Store nearby?

This is the only Mac we have, chatting with an Apple rep right now and she is researching. She gets the issue...I'll gladly pay the $20 for the code to download Lion assuming they can tell me how to get into the app store so I can download it.

Last resort will be calling or just scheduling an appt, we have a few within 15 miles or so.

If you go to any Apple store they will load the OS for free.

If you go to any Apple store they will load the OS for free.

Good to know, thanks bud. I'm reinstalling Snow Leopard now in hopes that it fixes the app store issue preventing me from upgrading OS.

Good to know, thanks bud. I'm reinstalling Snow Leopard now in hopes that it fixes the app store issue preventing me from upgrading OS.

If you want to order ram I recommend macsales.com. They have great how to videos as well.

If you want to order ram I recommend macsales.com. They have great how to videos as well.

I'll check it out now, will definitely need the video. Going to use this quite a bit I think including for remote PC into work as opposed to the Chrome Book. And of course weekend fantasy streaming and all that good stuff.

This is the only Mac we have, chatting with an Apple rep right now and she is researching. She gets the issue...I'll gladly pay the $20 for the code to download Lion assuming they can tell me how to get into the app store so I can download it.

Last resort will be calling or just scheduling an appt, we have a few within 15 miles or so.

I might have the 10.7 DVD. If I do I’ll PM mail it to you. Fup’s suggestion is a good one - Apple will have that in store. They might be able to mail you one as well.

Thanks for all the help yesterday all! Reinstalling Snow Leopard allowed for the app store to be accessible again and I'm now up to El Capitan (10.11.6). Will be ordering 8GB of RAM to get this 2009 dinosaur running a hair quicker.

Thank again for all the help, running El Capitan now and doubled up the RAM. $100 for all of that...not too shabby.

0cf388b2880020e6e9262bf1a4056b9e.jpg

Back