New wedges or re-groove old ones

lanoxrehab

Reaction score
Handicap
Season is starting to wind down here in Salt Lake City. I have heard you are supposed to get new wedges every once in a while because the grooves wear down. I have 74 rounds in this year and 96 rounds last year on my Volkey's.

Is it possible to take them in to get re-grooved or is there such a thing ? How often do you all replace your wedge set ?

I typically go about 200 rounds (with no range time) before getting new wedges. You can get them re-grooved. I have never done it.

Season is starting to wind down here in Salt Lake City. I have heard you are supposed to get new wedges every once in a while because the grooves wear down. I have 74 rounds in this year and 96 rounds last year on my Volkey's.

Is it possible to take them in to get re-grooved or is there such a thing ? How often do you all replace your wedge set ?

If you're not a tournament player just buy a groove sharpener and you'll get long life out them. I have a set of forged backup wedges from 2002 that still spin on the launch monitor in the 9,000 range.

Never even thought to regroove wedges. Curious to see the responses in this thread.

Used to be easy to regroove wedges when they all had V grooves. I'm not sure how it's done now with all the different groove configurations.

I have had mine re-grooved in the past with great results (which I still have/use) and I've purchased new wedges from time to time. A groove sharper works decently enough too.

I would just buy new.

I just re-groove mine. Still using my titleist 200 series oil can wedges. Just love them. I have however got a titleist SM6 black 46* in the bag and really like it but just don't have the heart to pull the trigger to replace the 200s. They have just been with me through thick and thin...I have 48/50/52/54/56/58/60. Currently use 50/54/60 but change as needed...just love them...I was even contemplating refinishing them with another oil can coating...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

They can be regrooved with a groove sharpener. Try pre owned club websites like callawaypreowned and they are at a great price. I bought 2 wedges and they are as new for $89 cheaper than new.

I buy new wedges about every two years.

I can top that. I buy preowned wedges about every two weeks. Once I meet that free shipping, all bets are off. I love buying great old wedges for <$10.00. Some are pretty worn out, some I will wear out. Some aren't the marriage I though I was getting so I then give them to youth golfers. It's rare I have the same wedges for consecutive rounds. I might have a problem, but it's an ok problem to have. I also spin the heck out of the ball anyways, so I'm not real concerned with wearing them out. I recently bought a Mizuno 54* from Callaway pre owned. I'd love to meet the golfer that had it before my. The face is pristine. Except for exactly dead center. There it's a little worn out. Makes me wonder how many sub par rounds that club has seen. I'm going to guess more than usual!

I can top that. I buy preowned wedges about every two weeks. Once I meet that free shipping, all bets are off. I love buying great old wedges for <$10.00. Some are pretty worn out, some I will wear out. Some aren't the marriage I though I was getting so I then give them to youth golfers. It's rare I have the same wedges for consecutive rounds. I might have a problem, but it's an ok problem to have. I also spin the heck out of the ball anyways, so I'm not real concerned with wearing them out. I recently bought a Mizuno 54* from Callaway pre owned. I'd love to meet the golfer that had it before my. The face is pristine. Except for exactly dead center. There it's a little worn out. Makes me wonder how many sub par rounds that club has seen. I'm going to guess more than usual!
I think it's a great idea you give away wedges that are not needed to junior golfers...I've done that with my bags, a couple drivers, balls etc to juniors that can't buy for whatever reason...it's nice to give back...

The Golfworks offers re-groove services for $12.99 an iron. Refinishing adds to that anywhere from $21.95 to $59.95. I've contemplated this but never had it done. If you have an all time favorite that is worn, this may be the way to go.

I think it's a great idea you give away wedges that are not needed to junior golfers...I've done that with my bags, a couple drivers, balls etc to juniors that can't buy for whatever reason...it's nice to give back...

Thank you. If im being 100% honest it's about 50/50 on being civic minded/being too busy and/or it's more pain then it's worth to ship it away. I'd also rather feel good about buying a wedge for 10 bucks and then gifting it to someone that hopefully does awesome stuff with it then buying it for 10 and selling it back for 5. 5 bucks isn't going to break me, even if I do it pretty frequently.

Who am I kidding? As someone with three youth golfer boys, I have a huge soft spot in my heart for all things youth. I've coached youth football for many years, even when my kids were no longer involved. I'm not always the most positive person (at least on the internet where intent is very often misjudged-and it's very hard to be my usual sarcastic and joking self) but I'd never golf another round if it meant kids would enjoy the sport more. Ive played enough rounds if that was the deciding factor.

My wedges and irons have had the grooves sharpened several times. I just can't see any reason to buy new ones, and I play a lot.

It's way more fun to buy new ones each year!

Back