Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood - THP Preview Thead

This one is so slick,as I just picked up the 815 I cannot ditch it quite yet. But will follow along everyone's feedback

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'll be taking a hard look at 18° in this line. I need a club that fits my eye visually (this seems to do it) and fit in my bag at about 260yds. I'd love it if I can get it there with high launch and accuracy

I love that. 260yd 5w. A 5 wood! That insane Kang. But having seen you play before, a true realty. You'll love this club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only had my XR for about a minute. But the technology with this one will be hard to resist.

These look great..... I never hit the XHot or X2Hot fairways/hybrids but hit both of the drivers and liked them so these could be an instant addition to my bag if I hit them and like them

Part of me doesn't want to try one of these and end up buying it in case I get lucky and end up on a nice little trip in December to get properly fitted for it :golf2:

Forgot to throw one up of the grip last night. Wasn't too long ago that callaway decided to start installing premium grips on their clubs as a stock option. Yes it's a small touch but I believe it certainly helps them stand out when demoing and when they are sitting on the club racks in store. As you can see this line is no different.

29f93653b2c269af43feb6a08434bdc6.jpg

Forgot to throw one up of the grip last night. Wasn't too long ago that callaway decided to start installing premium grips on their clubs as a stock option. Yes it's a small touch but I believe it certainly helps them stand out when demoing and when they are sitting on the club racks in store. As you can see this line is no different.

Love that grip. Have it on all my clubs.

ugh I have such a hard time with those grips! I'm a club choker, but I've been trying really hard to have soft hands this year. Probably should get these grips on one of my clubs and make it a good form of punishment/practice for soft hands.

ugh I have such a hard time with those grips! I'm a club choker, but I've been trying really hard to have soft hands this year. Probably should get these grips on one of my clubs and make it a good form of punishment/practice for soft hands.

It's not exactly my preferred grip, but I appreciate a company who adds a more premium grip than the ever popular Tour Velvet.

This is one thing that has caught my eye the last few release from them. The NDMC grips are a good upgrade from what they were doing & only need to look at the MD3's for the uTX grip that is awesome.

This club is intriguing. I need to read up on the weights and how that affects ball flight/performance. Like I said I love my VSeries 3w, but the tinker in me is curious for sure.

This is one thing that has caught my eye the last few release from them. The NDMC grips are a good upgrade from what they were doing & only need to look at the MD3's for the uTX grip that is awesome.

This club is intriguing. I need to read up on the weights and how that affects ball flight/performance. Like I said I love my VSeries 3w, but the tinker in me is curious for sure.

I toyed a little bit changing the weights last night. Haven't hit it yet, but got it setup for today. Setup I am on right now 15 degrees and I put the heavier weight closer to the face. Hoping that can produce some night bullets off the tee. Probably won't even bring a driver tonight.

Have this as stock on my 815 DBD, as well as the rest of my woods. I prefer Tour Velvet on irons, but like the NDMC on the "power" clubs. No clue why, but I'm comfortable with it.

Give 'em hell!

If this is as big of an improvement over the Alpha 815 3 metal, then I'll be getting one for my bag for sure. This looks REALLY sharp!

Just take my money now.

If this is as big of an improvement over the Alpha 815 3 metal, then I'll be getting one for my bag for sure. This looks REALLY sharp!

Just take my money now.

What kind of setup do you play in that club? Loft/weight configuration?

What kind of setup do you play in that club? Loft/weight configuration?

I have it set standard, neutral at 16 degrees. With the stock Speeder 665 S Flex shaft. Heavy weights in the back. Very generic by the book, but I smoke that 3 metal!

Looking forward to hearing your take, and can't wait for an opportunity to see how it preforms next to mine.

I want to hit this club with the heavy weight set forward and the loft at 14*. Might approach driver distance level.

I am not sure if this has been covered. tl:dr.

What is the reason for the change in weight orientation? In the 815, the weights are staggered. Here, it looks as though they are in line.

I need one....love that Aldila shaft...

wonder if Rick Shiels will link to my review when it hits the homepage :alien:

Probably not since your review will be unbiased and actually let the reader make up their mind.

Probably not since your review will be unbiased and actually let the reader make up their mind.

This x100. Love the fact that THP reviewers offer both the facts and suggestions but always remain neutral, leaving the reader to choose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, but I bet your review will be more detailed and informational than what he offers. Real reviews by golfers for golfers. Makes THP the best place for reviews

9 holes in the books with this club. Played it at 15(1 up) with the heavy weight in the back position, minus my final tee shot. Had a couple shots really stand out to me both off the tee and deck. Will quickly illustrate 1 below.

Was sitting in this position and shot the flag at 204. Playing up hill add 10 yards. Put a great swing on it and the ball jumped up in the air and carried to the middle of the green. I marked my pitch mark with a tee, and you can see were it ended. It's been pretty rare this year that I've pulled that shot off that well. Not only impressed by the flight of the ball, but how it didn't release through the green which is common on that hole.

a3081e49a40d19ce6b1360358762809e.jpg

0fff59774738362a636787dc8b8ba91c.jpg

Also snapped some more pictures and took some sound shots which I will update later. Another round tomorrow and I can't wait to see what comes of it.

Good stuff Dean.

Nice Dean! That is impressive. Did you notice much difference between weight front vs back off the tee?

Nice Dean! What was the ball flight off the tee with the heavier weight in the back?

Back