Why no Cobra Putters?

As I've said, to me Cobra jumping into putters would be sheer insanity. You simply aren't going to compete and then it becomes a battle just to tread water and stay afloat. That goes for ANYONE considering getting into the putter market though.

That's how I see it. It's a low barrier of entry for boutiques, so anyone can go do that. They're going to have to make huge margins to make the small volume worthwhile. That's not the model for a big company like Puma.

For lack of that, then you're in the volume putter model. As you mention it's a massive percentage Odyssey, with Titelist, TM and Ping seemingly picking up the table scraps.

For an OEM like Cobra to enter that market is seemingly a questionable business move. Maybe they'd do a "custom shop" styled, direct sell model with a handful designs that are more like a boutique, but that'd be someone's hobby project. I doubt it'd make much money. Those putters would also be in a price point that most of their current target demographic probably couldn't afford.

Back in the day King Cobra and Bobby grace made putters which I rather enjoyed. Believe it was mid or late 90's.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

This year THP held an event with Cobra and 20 THPers got to hang out with two of the biggest R&D names out there, in TO and Yagley. The question was asked, because both of them use a Cobra putter. THe answer is that the putter market is next to impossible to make money in for a brand like theirs (or has been in the past few years). Like wedges, its very hard to compete with the marketing dollars and floor space.

I expect that to change in the future with some small upticks in other areas, because they have the abilities and the product designs to make it happen.
That's interesting. I didn't realize the gamble Wilson Staff was taking turning out new putters and wedges. I guess it's good they hit home runs with both product-wise, they just need to do all they can to get the word out about them.

That's interesting. I didn't realize the gamble Wilson Staff was taking turning out new putters and wedges. I guess it's good they hit home runs with both product-wise, they just need to do all they can to get the word out about them.

Wilson Staff has not really stopped making putters.
Every 2 years, they release a new lineup, with the 8802 model coming the opposite year.

They dont sell many of them, but enough to put them out.

I have a cobra...sounds like its limited edition :)
0ed439ceb2318544569e55b2f7b6d315.jpg
3e58bf7edd1aa09af62c867cf61b3cd1.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into why Cobra doesn't make putters? It seems every other brand makes or owns a putter line.

Cobra has been there and done that. How do you break in and get any piece of the Odyssey/Cameron/Taylor Made market share? I think they are smart for staying away from that area, at least for now.

Here's mine. It needs to be cleaned up.
cd6a599bb4f97d30fa4d226e2a310486.jpg
3f787bc8604d9c75c2a1fc7ff7417578.jpg
020a9ab0b8e1d5acdd07c2047709c3d7.jpg

Didn't Bobby Grace build some putters for Cobra back in the day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun shape. I believe that is a Bobby Grace.

I think cobra could make putters but keep it low volume and basic. They will sell but not be money makers. For them you enter the market looking to make minimal profit but still adding to the brand.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Yep, it's Odyssey by a landslide, its honestly not even close. I think many really don't realize that.

I think it's a little closer that you're insinuating. I saw a Golf Datatech report last year that had Odyssey and Titleist neck and neck in the high 20's, low 30% in dollar market share. And Ping and Taylormade were neck and neck at about half that. Now that was dollars...i would assume unit wise Odyssey would have to have the the lead since the Scotty average price is probably higher than Odyssey. I would also guess Odyssey probably expanded that lead in 2015 since Scotty didn't have many new releases (any?), but i've never seen the report. But still...hardly a landslide when comparing dollar share, which is ultimately what matters.

Also, based on that report, those top 4 had almost 90% total share...which makes it that much more obvious how little room there is to enter the market.

Here's mine. It needs to be cleaned up.
cd6a599bb4f97d30fa4d226e2a310486.jpg
3f787bc8604d9c75c2a1fc7ff7417578.jpg
020a9ab0b8e1d5acdd07c2047709c3d7.jpg

I had a putter very similar to that years ago. It was a hand-me-down from my dad who tried every putter ever known to man. His wallet would have not survived a site like this. His putter ho-ness was too great.

I have a cobra...sounds like its limited edition :)
0ed439ceb2318544569e55b2f7b6d315.jpg
3e58bf7edd1aa09af62c867cf61b3cd1.jpg
That's one of the ones I saw in Missouri. List that puppy on eBay for $$$ before you accidentally misplace it.

Here are the Proto's Yagley and TO are rolling:

28302e7533fbc130d2054b445d6e9862.jpg

e9d2f50a5b1e2c062e840a5b29c2358d.jpg

e3364b56aaf42cd4a3014f8f6b3e7f18.jpg
13a7d919e25f4b9fc525539c41e47705.jpg
ef6cd443413d95349cc0f3b8c0b09154.jpg

Cobra Putter

Cobra Putter

I actually found a 2015 cobra putter on eBay. It was in Australia. They only had 1 more putter left and I purchased it for my set. I'm a one brand junky. I really hate mix brands around. I like to match everything all together.
WITB: Cobra fly-z driver
Cobra fly-z Fairway wood
Cobra fly-z hybrid/rescue
Cobra fly-z 4-9 P./G. iron set
Cobra fly-z trusty rusty wedges 52,57,62 degrees
Cobra putter.

I actually found a 2015 cobra putter on eBay. It was in Australia. They only had 1 more putter left and I purchased it for my set. I'm a one brand junky. I really hate mix brands around. I like to match everything all together.
WITB: Cobra fly-z driver
Cobra fly-z Fairway wood
Cobra fly-z hybrid/rescue
Cobra fly-z 4-9 P./G. iron set
Cobra fly-z trusty rusty wedges 52,57,62 degrees
Cobra putter.

Is your OCD Cobra-branded as well?

I kid, I kid! :p

BTW, Welcome to THP!

Back