Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

Great jobs guys. You are bringing it.

Ok got out for 9 last night to get some more testing in. It was a tough day to review for me. I wasnt hitting the sweet spot pretty much at all last night. My irons were very sharp but driver was just a bit off for some reason. I hit 4/5 fairways I attempted with driver but 2 of them were popped up becasue of high on the face contact. The two good drivers I hit were high penetrating fades as I have been seeing with this shaft previously. I have much better understanding for this shaft then I did day 1 for sure. From what I am seeing it seems to do its best from a smooth under control swing, not slow mind you just a good solid transition. It is something that is really starting to help my game honestly. I can tell when I get quick and try and muscle it becasue the result is almost always the same. When I pull the club back and stay within myself it produces a perfect mid-high ball flight that carries. We are getting so close to the event now and I cant wait to dial in the perfect combo with a few little tweaks. Great job putting these baseline shafts together DB.

PS: Shot a 39 for that 9 which is one of my best ever. Never played this course before.

I'm hoping to get out and play one more time between now and the trip. I'd like to get on a launch monitor before coming out, but there is only one in Tupelo worth going to and the people that work there are, well, kinda jerks.

I'm hoping to get out and play one more time between now and the trip. I'd like to get on a launch monitor before coming out, but there is only one in Tupelo worth going to and the people that work there are, well, kinda jerks.

Walk in like you own the place and just start hitting balls. Leave when you are finished. You're welcome. :alien:

Walk in like you own the place and just start hitting balls. Leave when you are finished. You're welcome. :alien:

What do you mean I can't use your launch monitor? I'm going to put my ball right here and hit it whether you like it or not:
image.jpg

Update #1 here
Update #2 here
Update #3 here
Update #4 here

Man good updates in here lately, guys. Sounds like some of you are really getting it dialed! I've been slacking due to my business trip, but tonight I'm hitting the range and tomorrow a round with THP'ers so I should get some more mileage in here this weekend. Planning on getting at least 1 or possibly 2 additional rounds in past that as well, along with the usual range session or two a week.

Also looking to get on an LM either late next week or early the week of the event to get some solid numbers and see whether anything stands out that needs adjusting. I will say though, my GENERAL thoughts for changes compared to this one:

1) Touch less stiff
2) A touch more launch
3) Preserve similar overall bend profile (I like the even way this shaft flexes)
4) Probably a shade shorter, but not totally convinced as to how much this matters

Overall I like the shaft, but these tweaks will make it awesome!

Last edited:
Played today in Savannah with the test shaft. Hit it great on the front nine, then had a mental midget moment. Looked down closely at the shaft and realized I'd had my settings off for the last 3 rounds. I had the head set at -1 degree and draw, instead of what I thought was neutral/stock. Flustered me and threw off my confidence. Hit the driver on 14 holes. Hit 7 fairways.

Mid height draw - 5
Low draw - 3
Mid height straight - 2
Mid height push - 1
Mid height fade - 1
Mid height hook - 2

10 of the drives were just fine. 2 were bad, fast swings.

Going to see how it goes tomorrow now that I actually have the settings right!

Hit the test shaft/Vapor Pro today about 20-25 times at the range today. Had a little bit of a lack of extension going on today and had a tendency to cut across the ball, but for the most part it wasn't bad. Had pretty much a one way miss going (right) but was mostly hitting solid mid height balls with 5-10 yards of fade on them and good distance (if not great). Need to focus on extension going forward to avoid the glancing blows that lead to the big right miss.

Overall I feel like I know what the shaft is going to do for tomorrow's round though. Just need to make good swings!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

12 days fellas. 12 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played another 9 holes with shaft and nothing new really to add except the on the number one handicap hole (eighth hole) which is 473 yards, I hit by far my best drive ever on that hole. If I get it inside 200 yards I consider it a job well done but on Friday I had 163 yards in. Massive high draw. I knew it was special the moment it left the face. I think the shaft is pretty well dialed in now. I'm hitting consistently with a draw and the trajectory is looking good.

-First hole was a very low hook that went about 200 yards but that was due to stumbling out of my car straight to the first tee.
-Second hole was a high draw into the wind that went 267 yards. I was surprised the ball penetrated the wind as well as it did. I'm curious if there's anything new in terms of materials or construction that went into the tester shafts as I've seen some very impressive performance out of it.
-Third hole is a 530 yard par five and I hit a medium trajectory draw that went 280 yards.
-Fourth hole the drive was a high cut and went 270 yards and while I was under the trees I still had an open shot to the green.
-Sixth hole I hit a high draw that went 290 yards.
-Ninth hole was a low hook that went 256 yards and left me a long second shot but still not far enough offline that I didn't have a clear shot to the green.

Like I said the characteristics of the shaft have been very consistent for me. Medium high draws, some higher draws when I catch it right and when I get a little carried away high cuts and slices. I wish I had some new insights to share but this shaft feels great, performs for me and probably isn't too far off from my ideal shaft. My feelings are still it could be a tad stiffer and maybe (big maybe) launch the ball a bit higher. Either way I'm really getting excited and nervous for the event. I normally don't like to put myself out of my comfort level and especially go hang with a bunch of strangers but being a member of this forum has really been a positive experience. Gonna try and squeeze in 2-4 more rounds before the event so I hope to keep contributing to this thread.

Last edited:
Man good updates in here lately, guys. Sounds like some of you are really getting it dialed! I've been slacking due to my business trip, but tonight I'm hitting the range and tomorrow a round with THP'ers so I should get some more mileage in here this weekend. Planning on getting at least 1 or possibly 2 additional rounds in past that as well, along with the usual range session or two a week.

Also looking to get on an LM either late next week or early the week of the event to get some solid numbers and see whether anything stands out that needs adjusting. I will say though, my GENERAL thoughts for changes compared to this one:

1) Touch less stiff
2) A touch more launch
3) Preserve similar overall bend profile (I like the even way this shaft flexes)
4) Probably a shade shorter, but not totally convinced as to how much this matters

Overall I like the shaft, but these tweaks will make it awesome!

In regards to number three I completely agree. The feel of the shaft is incredible. I am VERY curious to know what we're hitting.

Went to the range today and struggles with my driver from the course last week have carried over. I was striping every other club I hit but I was really wearing out the right side of the range with my driver. Strange how a few weeks ago my irons were awful and my driver was great, now the roles are reversed. My trajectory was very inconsistent; everything from low to to high but they all had some serious left to right side spin. Had impact tape on the face and was around the center of the club face. Tells me something is going on with my swing path. Getting in 18 tomorrow. Will definitely get to the range early to hit some and hopefully get the driver straightened out.

Have updates from yesterday at the Savannah Invitational and today from my home course.

First - Savannah
Hit the test shaft on 13 of 14 non par 3's. 8 of those shots found the fairway.
Shots shapes were as follows -
Mid height Draw - 7
Low height Draw - 1
Mid height straight - 3
Mid height push - 1
The remaining drive was a really bad swing where I hit behind the ball.

Played at my home course today. Was a bit tired after driving all the way back from Savannah late last night and I was playing my 4th round in 5 days.
Struggled producing the draw I like to see off the tee today.
Mid height draw - 3
Mid height straight - 4
low height straight - 1
High height straight -1
Mid height fade - 2
Mid height hook - 1
All these drives were playable except the hook which found a lateral hazard.

I like the shaft, though now that I've been playing it exclusively for a few weeks, I think I want to play an upcoming round with the LZ for comparison sake. I think it will give me a good mental slate to see how the two feel to me. Nothing conclusive to this but my mind just feels like the LZ was more consistent for me. I can't put my finger on a single reason why which is another reason to give that shaft one more round. Goal is to try to get in 3 rounds this last week before heading out to San Diego. 1 with the LZ then 2 with the Test shaft.

So today I booked a 1 hour "driver fitting" this Wednesday. I told them I'm not interested in any of their demo shafts and just want to get some numbers. Will be bringing the baseline shaft, PX LZ and I'm throwing a third into the mix, my Miyazaki B. Asha 4S. The best thing about this place is it's an outdoor bay, grass with a Trackman. I'm bring my own tees to simulate an on course experience and should get great data. I've played plenty of rounds and have had plenty of range sessions with the baseline shaft that I think it's time for some numbers. They said Trackman will email me my numbers about a week after my session. Below are the 3 shafts I'm bringing. All different lengths; B Asha is 45, LZ is 45.5 and the baseline is 46.
86ce6d5b6ab5183d894744b857de3b4d.jpg

Update #1 here
Update #2 here
Update #3 here
Update #4 here
Update #5 here

Got out for a round at the Olympic Course at Gold Mountain Golf Club on Saturday with THPers and got along pretty well with this shaft overall. With the exception of my first drive of the day and one other, I was largely satisfied with every other drive I hit with driver. Was getting really solid distance for the most part, and was playing a reliable straight shot to slight fade without losing much distance over a draw - which I freaking LOVE, because my misses really aren't as big with a fade. Beginning to feel like the shaft and I understand one another now (yes, the shaft is in fact, a sentient being!).

Detailed info on drives:
Hole 1 - Par 4, 369yd
Absolute crap, nervous swing where the hands lagged, push fade right. Lost ball. Was dropping from 175 out.

Hole 3 - Par 4, 375yd
Good drive, solid contact with a slight fade. Fairway. Distance: About 250

Hole 6 - Par 5, 479yd
Decent drive, little low on the face but straight. Fairway. Distance: About 230

Hole 7 - Par 4, 409yd
The other bad swing of the day, lack of extension and cut across the ball leading to a big fade, exacerbated by the wind going left to right. Ended up in the trees right, totally in jail. Distance: About 220

Hole 9 - Par 5, 562yd
Really solid drive, dead straight, just right of target line. Slight toe contact, but had very little effect. Distance: About 270

Hole 11 - Par 5, 490yd
Another very good drive, a little high on face with slight fade, but a good result. Fairway. Distance: About 250

Hole 13 - Par 4, 359yd
Hit a very solid drive with a little fade, but didn't realize the fairway narrowed at that distance. Ran through the fairway on the right side just into the rough, but still a good ball. Distance: About 260

Hole 14 - Par 5, 469yd
Decent drive, a slight overfade/glance blow but the contours of the course kicked it back onto the fairway. Distance: About 230

Hole 18 - Par 4, 255yd
Driveable par 4. Didn't play my actual tee ball with driver, since the wind was in our face and that 255 is all carry, but I teed up a junk ball just to see what I could do. Swung hard and hit a mid ball tracking right at the flag, but I caught it a bit low on the face and just didn't quite make it. Probably carried it about 235, so with a flushed ball, I may have just barely made it.

Overall, with the driver, 5/8 fairways, with 4/8 balls going north of 250 yards with roll. Pretty good day!

Yesterday, I followed up by taking a trip to the range with it and hit about 25-30 balls with driver - continuing to see the things I've been seeing. A slight fade with very nice distance when I hit well, a dead straight bomb when I really smoke it, and an overfade (in extreme cases, push fade) when I make a lazy/stupid swing. Continue to love the even loading of the shaft, but can't help thinking that a touch softer flex and a little more tip action (while largely preserving the overall feel) would make this thing absolutely ridiculous.

As always, questions welcome!

Got out for 18 today at my home course. Hit 8/12 fairways. Missed 2 left and 2 right. Was hitting the ball solidly all round. Pretty much all my drives were a mid ball flight. The ones that found the fairway had very little, if any side movement. Seems to be the trend with this shaft, when I hit is fairway my shots have no side movement, when I miss it's either a pull or a push fade. I had been struggling a little with the driver lately and experimented with a little bit of an open stance and found a lot of success. Felt like I put a much better swing on it with the slightly open stance. My next time out will be on Wednesday on Trackman. Looking forward to getting some numbers.

Was expecting to play this morning, rained out - lightening was flying all around the course, decided to call it a day.
Warming up on the range, I hit driver maybe 20 times.
First time swinging since the weekend with my other driver.
Some feedback -
1) Still feels heavier than the D200.
2) Put a good swing on the ball, it goes a long way. Not unexpected at all.
3) My swing is (and likely will always be) left to right - while I had some draw issues with the driver early on, my normal swing produced a normal flight.
4) Still launches low-mid to mid for me, which I like. I am usually a high ball hitter, so I need a driver to keep the ball down.
5) I was able to move the ball both directions today.
6) I can really feel the club head during the entire swing - I never feel as if the head is lagging or is lost during the downswing.
7) Off center hits still do not give me the twisting club feeling - something that I had going on last weekend.

Overall, I am really enjoying the shaft! I have not compared it to the stock shaft in over two weeks, and probably will not, so I feel as if I am getting used to the feel.
I am going to try to get a few rounds and a practice session in before heading to CA on Wed morning of next week, so I will have more feedback to provide.

Just sent a note to the pro at the Nike Performance Center who fitted me for the Vapor Pro to try and get on his launch monitor and get a few numbers from this test shaft. At this point, like many of us, I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what the shaft feels like and what I would change based on feel, so I'd like to get some numbers now to assist in really dialing in that bad boy in San Diego.

I haven't been able to play any since Monday (doing stuff with family since I'll be gone for 5 days).

I'm really hoping to be able to get on a launch monitor tomorrow.

Going for my "driver fitting" tomorrow. Really excited to get some numbers. Hope, I bring a decent swing with me tomorrow. I'll update you guys on how it goes.

Going for my "driver fitting" tomorrow. Really excited to get some numbers. Hope, I bring a decent swing with me tomorrow. I'll update you guys on how it goes.
Excited to see some numbers

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

These have been really fun to read. Thanks guys for all of the updates. There's a ton of information in here - looking forward to finding out more about what the shaft is exactly during the event, and what gets changed for all of you.

JB/DB,

Any suggestions what we should wear to PX HQ on Thurs/Fri? I'd assume golf clothes for Friday since we're playing in the afternoon, but I wasn't sure about Thursday. Can't wait!

Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

Hit the range this morning, after warming up, hit 45 or 50 drivers.
I have been working on my swing, which is improved and more consistent. I'm now getting the exact flight that I expect – mid to mid high fades, fading 10-15 yards. That's my normal shot, has been forever.
Dispersion still tight and, when I put a good swing on it, it's not going far from where I aim. Had a few pulls, nothing too drastic. Had a couple of big cuts, all due to bad swings.
I finished up with a little tape on the driver face, with good contact on the tape. All but one of the shots were "playable", that one was a little too far left.
Overall, still really enjoying the shaft. It might be a touch heavy for me, but given results, I can tolerate that.

Last edited:
Black Tie Not Optional!

Golf clothes are fine. The big thing is you must wear closed toed shoes to be allowed into the factory. As much as I wish I could all cruise around in Reefs, we don't want anyone loosing a toe.

Also, if you wear a competing companies golf shirt, you will get the privilege of watching your Handcrafted Shaft cure, from inside the 300° F oven!!!!!

Back