What is more important in your wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
In doing our huge wedge shoot out, it got me thinking about the way people buy wedges. I sent out a huge email blast and was surprised with the response we got back. Do you go for:

Looks and Aesthetics
Spin
Feel
Performance (assuming you can test which most cannot on actual greens)
Brand name Recognition?
Reviews?

It seems that most that we are testing do not have all the criteria in most peoples eyes. So what are you buying and how did you decide?

Will you buy wedges that perform well, but do not look right?

Will you buy based on eye and feel but they may not spin that much?

The list can go on and on.

During the wedge shoot out, many of the top performers really did pretty bad in one category or another.

I would say spin, but not in the fact I need them to spin more, I actually need wedges that spin less than the ones I have. It sux when every time you hit the ball it zips back 20 feet, I'd rather them stop or just back up a foot or two.

JB- I tend buy (for all clubs) based on name first, then look and then feel. I think the name part comes from familiarity and availability and that many of the 'others' just aren't readily available in my local pro shops or golf stores. After I get past that the club has to look right for me. If the look inspires confidence it seems to help me. But if the club doesn't feel right then it's back to square one no matter how it looks or who makes it.

For me I would have to say performance. I have used nothing but the Cleveland 588 series for as long as I can remember. My Dad gave me one when I was first starting, and learned how to use it well, so I guess I just don't want to mess with my success. Every few years when they start to get worn out, I look at many options but I always go back to the same thing because I know I am successful with them, and I might be a little afraid to change and use something that might play differently.

You are right though, it is pretty hard to test a wedge. They are pretty much at the bottom of the barrell when it comes to demo clubs with all of the different options.

Overall performance, which to me is a balanced combination of feel, spin & aesthetic.

• Admin
You think looks can make the club perform better for the individual?

You betcha. It can inspire confidence.

• Admin
Its funny GB. I always thought so too. It seems our own testing in our Putter Shoot Out confirmed it. But in the wedge one, looks did nothing. In fact most were the opposite.

Last edited:
For me. Looks, sole (performance), and feel are the main factors. A wedge that looks good at address inspires confidence. Touch shots require confidence so putters and wedges are personnal to me. I like my sole to be adaptable to different lies and shots (ie opening the clubface, toeing the club when chipping on a tight lie). Last of all feel (softness), I want to be able to tell how far I've hit it even if my eyes were closed (probably a combination on ball type and club). This is important to me on those touch shots. Oh one more thing. Too much spin is not good for me. I'll look for a hop and stop wedge that I can control the distance.

mullie

For me, its feel. Thats one thing I love about my Mizuno wedges, they have great feel. I instantly get the feedback that tells me when I mishit the ball. That way, when a shot doesnt work out like I planned, I know when it was because of a mishit.
Ive tried other wedges (Vokeys and Ping Tour) and they just dont have the feel that my Mizunos have.

For me it is probably cost more than anything else. I went through that period in my golf game where I was convinced that a higher priced club would save me more strokes than a less expensive club. Well, it did not take long for me to find out different. Maybe those with a tour quality swing can save a stroke or two using a higher end club. Perhaps that type of player can more easily notice such things as "feel", "distance control", and can control "spin". Actually I look more to the ball I use for those three issues. I just want a club that will last a few years, that I have good distance control, while using various swings, and that I can hit some what accurately. When I purchase a new set of irons, the set usually comes with a PW. When I purchase the extra wedges for that new set, I will stay with the same brand. In other words if I can get the same job done just as well, why spend an extra $60-$70 for a club that won't help my scoring. :comp:

Being I just bought new wedges, Here's how I went about it:

1) Brand reputation, I have used their wedges before & was happy with 'em
2) Looks and Aesthetics, I like a traditional look, also if it looks good it gives an air of confidence
3) Spin, need all the help I can get
4) Feel, which relates back to #1 for me

Looks and Aesthetics
and
Feel

Looks, it has to be eye appealing or it won't get used. Close second is feel. SOmetimes a club just feels "right or wrong" for whatever insignificant reason it might be.

If it performs well, then even better.

I want it to look nice to me. I want spin, not so much to pull it back, but to be able to fly it where I want it and have it stop right away or after a bounce or two. At this point in my game I don't want to suck it back because I am short more often than past the hole.

Feel and looks for me, and also how versitle can it be...that is why I keep my 61* Solus in my bag. In fact, it is the oldest club in my bag now that I think of it...followed by my 56* Nickent Arc wedge.

For me is looks and then feel and then reviews and reputation. If it is not pleasing to my eye and set up then it doesnt make the cut. Secondly, the feel and weighting is important. It must feel confortable throughout my swing. I then follow up by looking for reviews and I am typically already aware of the companies reputation beforehand. Once I have gone through this procees I go hit them again to see if everyting is as consistent as before.

Back