cross eye dominance + putting = no good

AK jr.

d2 college player
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm right handed, left eye dominant, and not putting well at all. I went to the eye doctor a while ago for a check up and he told me about this cross eye dominance which we determined I have because I shoot a gun left handed and my vision sways that way. It wasn't until today that I really noticed it affecting my putting. It wasn't that I was putting poorly, I actually putted so consistently that I watched ball roll over the right edge of the hole or miss just outside almost every time, even on the 2 and 3 foot second putts. Missing the short ones were what really got me thinking because those are putts I don't normally miss and I felt really good with my stroke. I am wondering if there is a quick fix like moving the ball up or back in the stance, or if it requires what makes logical sense which is playing right handed and putting left handed. Unless you have clear cut facts, I would like for Andy to answer this first as I would imagine he has probably come across this in a student or two because he is a teacher. Thanks

Ak this is a great question. First of all when it comes to putting we have to make sure that we are getting your eyes directly over the ball. if the eyes are inside the line and your left eye is dominate you will get the feel that you miss right and never get the ball high enough to hold a line on a left to right breaking putt. Check to make sure that you get the eyes over the ball if that is ok...I would move the ball a touch more forward. This will help you look down the line a bit more.

To check the eyes set up to a putt with an extra ball in your pocket. Once you are in posture place the extra ball on the bridge of your nose. Let it drop. It should hit the ball that you set up to. If it didn't look to see where it missed inside or out. If it missed you need to get the eyes more over the ball.

this is a good idea. i feel like that has been rather inconsistent, lets say half the time i'm in a good position and half the time my eyes are inside of the ball. putting today was a little bit better. i switched putters just to be looking down at something fresh and different that what I have been using every round for the past 9 months or so and that seemed to help. i also found that something in my eye sight is a little off, so stressing the exact line up of the black line on my golf ball with the intended line of the putt was tedious versus just placing the ball down logo side up in a consistent manner, but focusing more on aiming the sight line of the putter. while this will rarely be 100% spot on, i found it to be much more confidence breeding as well as less stressful.

one major contributor to my current lack of confidence as well as overall mediocre putting stats is that my clubs practice green has been closed since about mid november. unfortunately i am a bit too lazy to go elsewhere to practice putting seeing as i live about 5 minutes from this particular green and no where else is nearly as good, so my putting has suffered a lot. thanks for the advice with the ball drop and the eyes on line, i will do that tomorrow.

i thought it was good to be left eye dominant while being a right handed putter? ive heard right eye dominant ppl playing golf have to turn their heads farther in order for the right eye to see the target whereas the left eye dominant ppl dont have to as much... ionno maybe im wrong

Bogey you are correct. It is more difficult to get the setup right. For left eye dominate players I like the ball a ball or 2 forward it helps them really see the line better. With out it they tend to miss putts on the right side and never seem to get a left to right putt high enough to hold a line.

Back