Mark or Putt Out?

Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
You've got a twenty-five footer and you run it by the hole 2 and 1/2 feet. As a rule do you mark or putt out?

It varies, if I hit a good putt and I saw the line correctly most likely I'll putt out. If I miss read the putt I'll usually mark and take a quick look at it.

There really isn't a rule. 2 1/2 feets is not really tough,most will knock her in

If it's 2 1/2 feet, I'll probably putt out unless I have to bend my stance around someone else's line. Then I'd mark. I'd probably do that outside of about a foot.

I'm with Ty - we try to play ready golf and that keeps things moving faster.

I tend to putt out unless I am in someone's line. Although it is embarassing to miss a 2.5 footer because you rushed to bang it in.

Depends on how hard the putt might be. If it is pretty easy, I will just knock it in. If it is something that might take some thought (downhill bender for example), I will mark so that I can take the proper time and get it right.

I agree with all of the above.

Clean it up unless my stance is in another players line. I never finish if a playing partner is putting for birdie or better.

If I think I will make it, I will putt out. If I am not sure, I will mark. Sometimes it depends on the 'flow of play' of the group I am in also.

I usually mark... I find if I rush the short putts I tend to miss them. I like to have my mind in the right place before striking the putt.

I have to remind myself to mark. I miss too many of those short ones.

I usually just putt out after asking the other player(s) to do so. Now if we have a bet on the hole, and I am putting for par, and the other guy is putting for birdie, I will mark my ball. :D

You've got a twenty-five footer and you run it by the hole 2 and 1/2 feet. As a rule do you mark or putt out?

Putt out if I don't have to stand on anyone else's line. However, I don't rush it... I still follow my routine. It's perfectly legal to do so under the rules, so that isn't an issue.

It depends. If its just a casual round I will putt it out, if its a competitive round or a tournament I will mark it.

Funny this came up today. One of my playing partners this afternoon putted out every single time. Regardless of distance, regardless of anything. I didn't mind her doing it, but I did mind her not asking or waiting for one of us to tell her to go ahead. I was certainly telling the other two women to finish their putts often enough.

Is that too much of a girl? I like to be generous, and I like to to be acknowledged.

From inside 3 feet you can putt out, longer than that and always mark it, just for your own sake. It is not wrong to mark always or to always putt out, unless you run it like 6 feet past and somebody else is still farther out - then you should wait for sure.

Funny this came up today. One of my playing partners this afternoon putted out every single time. Regardless of distance, regardless of anything. I didn't mind her doing it, but I did mind her not asking or waiting for one of us to tell her to go ahead. I was certainly telling the other two women to finish their putts often enough.

Is that too much of a girl? I like to be generous, and I like to to be acknowledged.

I'm not sure that there is anything inherently wrong with her actions. I won't usually ask, I'll just say "I'll finish", then putt out. I'm not asking, simply informing them of my intent.

From inside 3 feet you can putt out, longer than that and always mark it, just for your own sake. It is not wrong to mark always or to always putt out, unless you run it like 6 feet past and somebody else is still farther out - then you should wait for sure.
agree sometimes if the tree footer is real hard I'll mark and wait for my knees to quit knocking.

agree sometimes if the tree footer is real hard I'll mark and wait for my knees to quit knocking.

Is that a typo or a golf term I don't understand?

Depends - most of the time I'll ask to finish it - however - if I'm having a bad day or I'm in someones line - I'll mark it.

It depends, as others have mentioned on the difficulty. Sometimes I'll go ahead if it's for worse than par and it's in the line of someone who has a putt for par or better, to give them a cheap read.

Back