Nike SQ Machspeed Driver

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
When winter nears its end in March next year, and most golfers are thinking that spring can’t come fast enough, a new and exciting Nike Golf introduction will provide all the speed a golfer needs to put velocity into the golf season. The new SQ MACHSPEED driver will use the power of aerodynamics to help golfers hit the ball farther and straighter – all due to speed.

While consumers will have to wait for the official introduction at retail on March 1, 2010, Nike Tour athlete Justin Leonard can’t get it in his bag fast enough. After successfully testing the new SQ MACHSPEED driver, Leonard likely will be using the Nike SQ MACHSPEED for the first time in competition at The Presidents Cup from October 8–11, 2009.

“This is my new secret weapon,” said Leonard. “I am hitting it 10-12 yards further and am really excited to put it in play.”

The Nike SQ MACHSPEED driver is loaded with a combination of ground-breaking technology that was born from the minds of Nike Golf’s team of engineers. In addition to having a lower, deeper Center of Gravity (CG) for a higher launch and increased distance, the SQ MACHSPEED driver features the award winning Nike STR8-FIT technology, square technology and now, Nike’s Total Swing Aerodynamic Design.

Nike’s Total Swing Aerodynamic Design is the answer to generating more speed, resulting in more distance. Nike Golf has taken the concept of aerodynamics to a new level by looking at the golf swing holistically.

“The number one thing that makes the ball go farther is faster ball speed. We’ve accomplished that through looking at the orientation of aerodynamics throughout the total golf swing, not just a portion of the swing,” said Tom Stites, Director of Club Creation for Nike Golf. “Optimizing aerodynamics in the total golf swing pulls the clubhead and shaft through the air faster, which leads to more distance. I’ll use a parachute as an example. The wider the parachute is, the slower it comes down because air separates around the parachute and causes drag. The same thing applies to the golf club, but through geometry and Total Swing Aerodynamics, we have been able to minimize the air separation and drag.”

Fast Start

The tapered heel geometry and toe-side aerodynamic Nike PowerBow design promote smooth air flow around the head for quicker acceleration.

Acceleration

As speed increases, so does drag force. But the aerodynamic Nike PowerBow and sole diffuser designs keep the airflow smooth and close to the club surface, reducing drag and encouraging a faster acceleration.

Maximum Speed

Drag reduction through-out the downswing allows the club to reach its true maximum speed, delivering maximum energy to the ball.

To shape any shot, the Nike STR8-FIT technology in the SQ MACHSPEED delivers eight face angle options – two degrees open to two degrees closed. For stability and forgiveness, the SQ MACHSPEED features Tour proven square technology that delivers more stability at impact and more forgiveness on the tee. Nike’s square technology was used by Nike athlete’s Lucas Glover and Stewart Cink to win the 2009 U.S. Open and OPEN Championship, respectively.

Availability:
March 1, 2010 at golf shops and specialty stores nationwide

SQ MACHSPEED Driver

Men’s: Loft Options: 8.5 (RH); 9.5 (RH/LH); 10.5 (RH/LH); 11.5 (RH); HL (RH) All available in: A,R,S,X
MSRP: $359.99

Women’s: Loft Options: 11.5 (RH); HL (RH) All available in W (women’s) shaft.
MSRP: $359.99

665967218_ZGsQK-L-1.jpg

665967284_y8sJm-L-1.jpg

665967219_qD63X-L-1.jpg

665967224_5aNoJ-L.jpg

I want one.

That looks pretty sweet.

If Batman were a golfer this would be his driver lol.

Looking forward to trying this one in person I think.

• Admin
Me too Osahar. It looks very intriguing.

Looks like a pack of sled dogs behind the sled! My goodness, that looks like a bus going through an intersection. If I kept my head down until it was all the way through, the ball would be there.

Last edited:
I was looking at getting the DYMO but im thinking i will wait to try this out. Most drivers feel too big and "balloon like" to me. Maybe this aerodynamic stuff will make it feel smaller and more like I am in control of the club

Nike Driver

Nike Driver

I think I am pretty interested in trying this new driver out as well. I already have the 5900, and a Sumo 2, so this one is just the next in line....

Derron

With as much as we loved the Str8 Fit and Dymo, we cannot wait to review these.

I love how it looks it looks like 2010 will be one of the best equipment years ever :)

It's a beautiful club, just WAY big looking. I can't wait to hear how the review goes and my own demo of it when possible. I am a little surprised they didn't include some adjustable weighting, or am I just not seeing this?

honestly, I dont know if the weights is realy something I care for myself. I have tried the R9 and granted it was a good club but I didnt think the weights made a significant enough difference to really matter to me. The only time I saw a significant change in performance was when I adjusted the shaft.

I have the R9 now and I've seen some benefit from moving the weights, but I hear there's a lot to gain from heavier weights for some individuals.

interesting, so you are saying that maybe I didnt see much benefit because maybe i need the heavier weights in the club head?

Eh, not a fan of the looks. I'll stick with the Dymo2.

Surprisingly I like the picture of this baby at address, I'll try one out for sure.

interesting, so you are saying that maybe I didnt see much benefit because maybe i need the heavier weights in the club head?

No, not at all. "Some individuals" gain from it and I personaly have not tried different size weights. However, I plan to very soon. As far as this driver goes, the more I look at it the more I like it, lol. The combination of square and long gives it a sort of strange look, but I'm betting it hits a mile.

I thought this thing was the ugliest driver I had ever seen in the "spy" photos. I still dont find it attractive but it looks WAY better than it did in that crappy phone pic. I guess if it performs, who gives a crap how it looks.

Hmmmm...this may be the club that gets me to go with a square driver.

Back