what do you prefer?

MD177

Reaction score
Handicap
GAM: 18.8
do you prefer playing all the courses you can play in one season or play a course a few times in a row before moving on to the next one?

this season, we've probably gone to 15+ golf courses... my golf buddies want to go to a different course each time... it's pretty fun going to different courses all the time but I dunno if that's really the best way to improve on scoring? I'm thinking of playing the same course at least 4-5 times this year to see if I improve on it... I'll try to write notes on each hole to get some readings on the greens and such... my goal is to break 90 this summer and I think if I keep going to different courses each time I play, I won't be able to do it coz the course is always new... anyway, any input is appreciated... Thanks...

I like playing on a variety of courses. It keeps things fresh.

the father in law and i were talking about this very thing today, and memberships and whatnot. i'm definitely not a one course guy. i like changing it up and will play a new course at the drop of the hat. now, i do have one course at home that i prefer over others and would play it once a week for the rest of my life, i just like the layout that much.

the father in law and i were talking about this very thing today, and memberships and whatnot. i'm definitely not a one course guy. i like changing it up and will play a new course at the drop of the hat. now, i do have one course at home that i prefer over others and would play it once a week for the rest of my life, i just like the layout that much.

I hear ya. I will always play my beautiful home town course, Gatlinburg Country Club, at the drop of a hat. When I plan ahead it is always for a new or different course. I can't even begin to imagine only one course.

I love trying out new courses but I also feel the same way that it would benefit to play the same course over and over to track improvement. but the rates drop so low here in FL that its the best time to try out a bunch of different courses.

awesome guys... thanks for the input...

btw, I didn't mean just play one course... I guess I was saying play one course for 5x or so and track progress for one season... and also play different courses in between... I will plan on playing one course for at least 5x until the season is over and the others play wherever... so many courses, not enough time to get to them all... LoLz...

The course I play on my Tuesday night league has 36 holes that we rotate through which is nice... You get to know each of the hole, and what to expect, I can remember my previous shots and learn from them. And, since we rotate through we only see each 9 once a month.

Then on Sundays I get out with my Father and brother at different courses...

The best of both worlds...

The course I play on my Tuesday night league has 36 holes that we rotate through which is nice... You get to know each of the hole, and what to expect, I can remember my previous shots and learn from them. And, since we rotate through we only see each 9 once a month.

Then on Sundays I get out with my Father and brother at different courses...

The best of both worlds...
sounds like a good mix... :)

I prefer playing the same course. I am lacking the ability to play well at multiple courses. On courses I dont know, I rarely break 85 playing well. Where as on courses I do know, I could throw out any number good or bad. My putting stroke is my nemesis, so i cant just hit to the center of the green and two putt. I am severely jealous of people who dont 3 putt

I like to play two to four regularly. But playing other places is fun and impossible to avoid if you do a Florida outing or a Midwest outing.

Due to lack of courses in my area i tend to play the same course most of the time. the group I normally play with try to make it to at least 2 or 3 different courses throughout the season. But those normally involve a two to three hour drive.

I like to play different courses. But I also tend to get in ruts where I'll play the same 2-3 courses over and over again depending on who I may be playing with.

Since I play over 150 rounds a year it would be pretty spendy to play a different course all the time. We play different courses but belong to a course that we play most of the time.

I prefer playing the same course. I am lacking the ability to play well at multiple courses. On courses I dont know, I rarely break 85 playing well. Where as on courses I do know, I could throw out any number good or bad. My putting stroke is my nemesis, so i cant just hit to the center of the green and two putt. I am severely jealous of people who dont 3 putt

Same....my putting has always been my nemesis, sometimes it drives me to the point of insanity. Nothing is more frustrating than a 3 putt from 10-15' away for bogey. Usually happens to me 2x a round.

I'm really fortunate to have two regular foursomes that are from both sides. One group are my work buddies (Read: Have jobs) and we play somewhere different every week. In fact I think in the 3 years I've been playing with them I've never played the same course more than 5-6 times. Then there are my other buddies (don't have jobs) and we play the same muni everyweek for 18 bucks. Its great knowing all the local tricks and bumps. And it also sucks not really remembering any holes from the really nice courses i've played. (example conversation with someone "Oh you played TPC Vegas, what was number 16 like?" "uh....it was memorable...")

I love playing different courses, but I hate driving to them, here in Washington you have to take the ferry everywhere if you live on the wrong side of the water! Still, I love playing different courses, even the my home track is awesome.

I enjoy playing different courses. It's fun to get out and enjoy the golf, the challenge a different layout provides, and the natural beauty that golf courses give us. I play my home course most of the time, however when a good outing pops up, I look forward to it.

I love moving it around as much as possible, but after a few different courses I always have to go back to my old home course to reasert my game. I'm a lot more agressive on certain shots there and know very well where the misses are, so it helps me get back in line to place else where with confidence in my abilitities.

But, nothing beats hitting a new to me course with trees everywhere and lots of tight doglegs and water, unless maybe a bunch of THP guy's added to the mix, (that's when it really get's fun).

I enjoy a variety of courses when available. I'd rather shoot bad on multiple courses and get a lot of new scenery than shooting slightly better on the same course continuously.

i play at my home course every week, and play away maybe once a month.

think i prefer knowing a course well and knowing where to play for and how the greens react. also knowing that if i get into trouble i can escape with a certain score. i find sometimes when you play a course for the first time your course management is the key stress point and this can lead to bad scores, or it puts aspects of your game under scrutiny that maybe havent been under the spotlight before.

i never used to buy a score saver when i travelled, its now the first thing i do. even in advance i study up on the course and layout :)

Back