Blind Ball Testing Review Thread

Great to read all the write ups on Ball X, Seems the testers are having a great time. Without knowing who the manufacturer of this ball is, would any of the testers consider switching from their current gamer to this one?

Great to read all the write ups on Ball X, Seems the testers are having a great time. Without knowing who the manufacturer of this ball is, would any of the testers consider switching from their current gamer to this one?

Too early to tell with only one round in the books, but definitely not outnof the question! Especially if this turns out to be a mid- priced ball compared to my ProV1x!

It's sounding like this ball has everything you could ask for. More distance and more spin. Something you don't often find in one ball along with a great feel off the face of the putter. Great work guys.

Only problem with this ball so far I can see is it's flamablility. :D

Sorry, GC. It's basically a term I made up. Jargon, I guess. Check out the end of the 2nd to last video and you will see what I am describing.

Great stuff guys, I am loving all of the info on this mystery ball. How is durability with Ball X so far?

Excellent question Jeff, I can't find any noticable wear on them after a few hours chipping, maybe a hint of a grass stain, but no groove marks or burrs yet.

It's sounding like this ball has everything you could ask for. More distance and more spin. Something you don't often find in one ball along with a great feel off the face of the putter. Great work guys. - Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Sounds like it has added distance, but I havent gamed it yet and a little hot off the putter doesn't qualify as long yet lol..

Too soon to tell, but I love the way it performs around the green. I'll laugh my Butt off if it's a Top Flite, I will have been oficially duped.

I'm going to play it on the course and then see what type of numbers it gives me on a launch monitor. Greenside performance is definitely on par with what I like.

Here are a few pix after marking them.

Test group ready for tomorrow!
DSC04019.jpg

Marking of Ball X
DSC04017.jpg

DSC04016.jpg
DSC04018.jpg

Ok, I got to play with these for a few hours at the short game area today and here's how it went for me, I used no other ball for comparison, I wanted these to have center stage.

Appearance There is nothing that stands out while standing over them, I can't notice the dimple pattern being any different than any other ball.

Putting For me, I found this thing really hot off the putter, I have a Circa62 w/no insert and this thing left me many 2 footers coming back for the first half hour or so, I practice at this place several times a week and know the green speeds well as well as the breaks and they blew by the breaks, All my misses were high for a change lol. Once I got the feel dialed in putting, I absolutely fell in love with this ball! the sound coming off the putter face was bold but not crisp. I hit quite a few downhillers off the toe purposely to kill them a bit and it was as consistant as ever, they came off with a thud and very soft, distance control was wonderful.

Chipping This is where I fell in love! I generally practice from about 30 yds and in, uphillers and downhillers and flat. Downhill chips were suprising, they came in low, hopped once checked a little and rolled out about 2 ft, the suprising part was that they did the same thing every time, you hit it off the toe and it would be a little shorter but would check and roll a little less every time, Uphill chips had check and about 2 ft of rollout. Flat lies were brilliant, I felt confident going after any stick on the chipping green and the ball did exactly what I wanted it to do when I hit it well, mishits were a little short but predictable.

54 degree wedge knockdowns were again, predictable and precise. Once you get used to the ball doing what you want it do, it's exceptional.

I'm taking it to the course tomorrow and and afterwards back to the short game area and will post more feedback afterwards, so far I'm very impressed.

Nice review TB. I've seen that putter of yours and it's a thing of beauty! Looking forward to hearing how this ball performs on the course for you.

Brought to by iPhone 4 powered by Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Sounds like this is a pretty durable ball. I would love to game a more durable ball.

Can't wait to hear more about this ball, I am very intrigued by it.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Sounds like this is a pretty durable ball. I would love to game a more durable ball.

Can't wait to hear more about this ball, I am very intrigued by it.

No problem Jeff, anything you want to know just ask. What's your current ball anyway?

No problem Jeff, anything you want to know just ask. What's your current ball anyway?

Thanks. Tough call as I have been trying to find the perfect ball for me. I would say my ball of choice is the Nike 20XI-S as of right now, but I mostly play Titleist ProV1 and ProV1x because I get them through my work used in like new condition. I still want to try the 20XI-X and may purchase a dozen. I definitely think the Nike's are a little more durable than the ProV's.

with everyone getting all these positive results so far, im anxious to find out what this ball actually is so i can go buy a box lol

Me too! Playing a ball "blind" has been a fun experience. Looking forward to eventually finding out what it actually it.

Great stuff guys, I am loving all of the info on this mystery ball.

How is durability with Ball X so far?

Durability has been fine for me. I did smoke one straight into a tree and get a scuff, but thats to be expected right?

Switch completely? Cant make that call just yet. Would I game them in the future. No doubt about it, yes.

Like it was said, this ball could end up being a low end ball for a cheap price, but if it works for my game, it works. I have had some great short game success with this ball, and cant wait to get back out there tomorrow to give it another go.

Very glad to hear these are durable! That is what I love about the Penta. TB made me feel a little more at ease about how it feels off the putter, which is what brings me back to the Penta any time I have ever considered another ball. So far this is definitely sounding like a ball I will have to try, can't wait to find out the details.

Very glad to hear these are durable! That is what I love about the Penta. TB made me feel a little more at ease about how it feels off the putter, which is what brings me back to the Penta any time I have ever considered another ball. So far this is definitely sounding like a ball I will have to try, can't wait to find out the details.

That is one of the reasons that I love the Penta, and is usually one of the biggest deciding factors when I change balls. It HAS to feel good off the putter. This ball does feel good off the putter, feels good/rolls good, in my experience with it, just give it a little extra "umph".

I feel like when I have to give it a little "extra" then I lose my tempo. It may be something that I could get used to, I will be interested how your putting goes as you continue to use it.

I feel like when I have to give it a little "extra" then I lose my tempo. It may be something that I could get used to, I will be interested how your putting goes as you continue to use it.

I had a great round of putting today, highlight of the day was a 60 footer for birdie on a par 3!

Looking forward to tomorrow to see if my short game stays consistent.

TapaTalk...THP on the fly!

the suspense is killing me....whats the ball already?

the suspense is killing me....whats the ball already?

It won't be announced till after the testing I believe.

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

Only had some time to do some short chipping and pitching with Ball X today. As with the putter these feel relatively soft and heavy'ish with the wedges which I like. Chipping off the fringe I had some good control with it. Pitching from short rough I was still able to get some spin out of them so control wise they are impressing me. Where I was surprised was when I purposely lowered the lie on some longer rough. I was popping these out real nice and runoff was excellent with no worm burners.

Obviously first impressions off the wedges are great. I feel like I can give these a good move around the greens. Durability so far is good (just some grass stains for now). Feeling confident with these balls so far.

Great write ups from every one so far. Great videos Hawk. Nice to see some live action shots... very cool. Glad to hear everyone is getting their first rounds in with these as well.

how do these spin off wedges? more stopping power, or roll out more?

WOW, just finished catching up on this thread, and everyone has done a great job so far. I have to say, this round of testing is even better than the last round of testing because we don't even know the OEM, its killing me to know what ball this is, and I have my guess as to what it is.
So far I've gathered that:
- No loss in distance over normal balls played.
- Cover is harder than Urethane, but soft enough, and durable.
- Checks up pretty well in the short game.
- Muted sound putting, but comes up a little short.

Anything I'm missing testers?? Everyone keep up the great work, this is facinating to me.

Well, I get home from golf last night and Liz has a package waiting for me from THP. Looks like the mystery balls have arrived. She know's just how excited I get when something arrives from THP and she gets all excited because I am, haha. She's like open it! Come on, lets look at these, lol. Sorry hun, but I'll open these at the course with some better lighting and actual greens to set them on to start my testing. She's such a kid.

I hope to have these out this afternoon, looking forward to it!

Back