Darren Clarke gets invite for US PGA - invite?

the_paulo

Euro target practice
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.5
According to the BBC, Darren Clarke has received an invitation to play in the US PGA this year.

I like Darren, and I think the tournament would be better for having him there, but I can't help but think there's something wrong with giving out invites to a major championship.

Do I have this story right? Am I being harsh in thinking that every competitor in a major should have qualified or (bit of a grey area) be a past champion?

It depends on the tournament, the player, and the past they have with that tournament and professional.

According to the BBC, Darren Clarke has received an invitation to play in the US PGA this year.

I like Darren, and I think the tournament would be better for having him there, but I can't help but think there's something wrong with giving out invites to a major championship.

Do I have this story right? Am I being harsh in thinking that every competitor in a major should have qualified or (bit of a grey area) be a past champion?

I like that Clarke was given an invite, special exemption, or whatever it's called for the PGA Champ.

1. The PGA Champ. is the weakest field of all the majors, with 20 or so sports going to PGA (non Tour) pros.
1a.His inclusion definitely strengthens the field.
2. He's playing well this year.
3. He's a fan favorite (most of Europe "grieved with him" when his wife passed")
4. His golf history makes him worthy of a spot.

On a side note: His invitation is totally different than the Alexis Thompson situation with the Women's British.

I don't have a problem with this at all. All tourneys should have a certain number of invites as long as it's used for deserving, quality players to help strengthen the event. Not for people like John Daly just to fill the field.

Maybe I'm being harsha and overthinking it. I'm trying to take the fact it's Darren out of the equation, because I really like the big guy and would watch him at every opportunity.

There was just that part of me that wonders if someone more deserving (on playing merit) would be missing out?

I think Darren has definitely earned it i mean lets be honest JD is a past champion and doesnt that mean he gets to play...going on playing merit you cant reasonably tell me that Daly deserves the spot this year more than Clarke good for the PGA i hope he does well he seems like a great person and a great golfer

My point was kinda more along the lines of....if a player deserves to be in the tournament, would they need an invite to be there?

He's doing well so far today, so maybe he'll actually play his way into the Ryder cup too! :D

My point was kinda more along the lines of....if a player deserves to be in the tournament, would they need an invite to be there?

He's doing well so far today, so maybe he'll actually play his way into the Ryder cup too! :D

I think it depends. Take the Ryder Cup for example. Odds are Mr. Woods will not play his way into it. Should he be left out? Of course not.

I think it depends. Take the Ryder Cup for example. Odds are Mr. Woods will not play his way into it. Should he be left out? Of course not.

That's completely different. The captain gets picks and forms a team, not just a body of competing players. Nobody is playing for money in it.

And there you go, I've kinda answered my own question, since all of the pros qualifying through play for the majors will be doing ok for themselves. I'll leave that first sentence in just to prove that my thought process had a starting point!

That's completely different. The captain gets picks and forms a team, not just a body of competing players. Nobody is playing for money in it.

And there you go, I've kinda answered my own question, since all of the pros qualifying through play for the majors will be doing ok for themselves. I'll leave that first sentence in just to prove that my thought process had a starting point!

But its not different in theory. They earn their way on, and then the captain gets a few picks for his team. No different than a tournament. Most earn their way on and then the tournament gets a few picks that they feel are deserved.

Good for Darren, he's a gentleman and it seems all the other pro's enjoy having him around.

But its not different in theory. They earn their way on, and then the captain gets a few picks for his team. No different than a tournament. Most earn their way on and then the tournament gets a few picks that they feel are deserved.

Yeah, I kinda got to that with the thought process. I guess I might feel differently if it was a tournament with a less illustrious field, with guys scrapping it out to make a living. But then, there's also the argument that it lends more importance to the tournament. I confuse myself. :wink:

I suppose if you pay the money to sponsor the tournament, you should at least get a couple of picks. Don't think there's anyone would argue that DC's inclusion doesn't make it even more interesting.

Yeah, I kinda got to that with the thought process. I guess I might feel differently if it was a tournament with a less illustrious field, with guys scrapping it out to make a living. But then, there's also the argument that it lends more importance to the tournament. I confuse myself. :wink:

I suppose if you pay the money to sponsor the tournament, you should at least get a couple of picks. Don't think there's anyone would argue that DC's inclusion doesn't make it even more interesting.

it could be worse. How about paying hte money to sponsor a tournament and putting yourself in the field. Now that is just wrong and it just happened.

it could be worse. How about paying hte money to sponsor a tournament and putting yourself in the field. Now that is just wrong and it just happened.

I must have missed that, when/where was that?

Thought it was only a matter of time before Timberlake gives himself a game in Vegas!

The sponsor/tournament is also trying to balance having a strongest field possible along with what player generate ticket sales. Sponsor's exemptions are generally used to move ticket sales. The 156th ranked player in the field will not generate extra ticket sales unless he is a local.

Back