Most forgiving blade-style iron available?

PiratePenguin

2024 Goat Cup Team Brennan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know I need some irons that are more forgiving than my current blades (Tommy Armour Evo blades). Problem is I cannot stand looking at a large clubhead and I hate lots of offset - partly because I have a natural draw and don't need it and partly because it gets in my head. So options have always been limited. That's one reason I bough blades last time I got new irons - there wasn't much else in between giant GI sets and blades (back around 2001/2002 I think). I was also taking lessons and playing better and wanted to grow into them. Now I don't get to play as often and with a baby hopefully on the way in the near future I'm sure that won't be changing. So I want to start looking for some new irons that will give me more forgiveness, won't accentuate a draw, and don't look like shovels.

Any suggestions?

i think that staying away from GI irons b/c the offset will give you more "draw" is a horrible misconception. i can understand if you don't want them b/c the top line/sole is too wide, which i still don't really understand but that's for another discussion, but to say that they'll make you draw the ball more is just false.

at any rate, check out the mizuno mx300's, nike vr split cavity, cleveland cg 7 bp tours, ap2's, diablo forged, ping i15, wilson ci9, taylormade r9 tp......those should fit the bill.

TC is correct. In many cases, offset is put into irons for ball flight than anything else. Famous clubmaker John Hoeflich told us recently that in his opinion it is one of the biggest misconceptions people have about clubs.

But to answer your question, every brand has a set just like this. They are called Players Cavitys and here is a small list.

Adams - CB series
Callaway - DE Forged, X-22 Tours
Cleveland - CG7 BP Tours, CG1 Tour
Nike - Split cavity
Taylormade - R9 TP
Cobra - Pro CB
Titleist - AP2
Bridgestone - J38 Dual Pocket Cavity
Mizuno - MX-200 and MX-300
Wilson Staff - Ci9
Srixon - ZTX
Exotics - CNC Milled Limited
Ping i15 & s56

We have reviewed the majority of these on the home page and it will come down to personal preference in many. I should note, that there are even more that are not listed above, those are just off quick memory.

I play the mx-200s and if the 300s are anything like the 200s then I can highly recommend them. The feel is great and when you hit them on the sweetspot it's like swinging through butter:D

It sounds like the gi irons you are used to seeing are more like the modern day sgi. As for irons, check out mizuno as they offer a large line up of clubs from game enhancement to blades.

I play the 2009 Taylormade Tour Preferred 3-PW with Project X 6.0 shafts and I'm extremely happy. The topline is a little thicker than what I've played before (Callaway X Prototype, Adams Idea Pro), however not thick to the point of being shovels, probably similar to the R9 TP. They are very forgiving and don't accentuate my natural draw.

+1;.... Love these irons
I play the 2009 Taylormade Tour Preferred 3-PW with Project X 6.0 shafts and I'm extremely happy. The topline is a little thicker than what I've played before (Callaway X Prototype, Adams Idea Pro), however not thick to the point of being shovels, probably similar to the R9 TP. They are very forgiving and don't accentuate my natural draw.

I loved the R9 tp irons they are amazing, i love the r9 irons also not so think topline great feel and they both feel great through the swing especially on contact

It looks like everyone has given a lot of great examples of irons that you could try. I'll say that the majority of the players cavity irons these days are usually very forgiving, to get something that is not overly forgiving would just about mean you're going to end up with a full fledged blade. Forgiveness and smaller top line/more feel/more workability seems to be prevalent in nearly every companies lineup these days. It really is a great time to be looking to upgrade equipment.

Thanks for the recommendations. This gives me a good place to start my search. I had tried looking for some through the reviews here on THP but not knowing which were which it was kind of a needle in a haystack hunt.

So I am mistaken about iron offset... please enlighten me. What are the real benefits and/or negatives to more or less offset?

Thanks for the recommendations. This gives me a good place to start my search. I had tried looking for some through the reviews here on THP but not knowing which were which it was kind of a needle in a haystack hunt.

So I am mistaken about iron offset... please enlighten me. What are the real benefits and/or negatives to more or less offset?

to me, it helps you get the ball up by moving the cg back a bit. the only con would be if you are one of those guys "that can't look at thicker top-line", which i've always just found funny.....i don't know about you but i tend to look at the ball at address, not the top of my club.

TC is right for the most part. Offset is put into irons for a couple of reasons.

1. To assist in getting the club back to square
2. To assist in getting the ball in the air since it increases playable loft.

Unless further "slice improvement" weighting is put into place, most will not see hook troubles, due to slight offset. At least not in testing on our monitor. Most think offset is placed in irons to correct a slice since most golfers fight that. It really is not the case for their reasons. Most club designers will tell you that the reason offset is put into clubs is to assist golfers get the ball in the air.

In the end, it all comes down to testing and monitor performance.

If you've got the money Scratch EZ-1's are very forgiving and they look like blades. Very nice irons. Too rich for my blood though.

If you've got the money Scratch EZ-1's are very forgiving and they look like blades. Very nice irons. Too rich for my blood though.

I don't think I have enough scratch for Scratch. :)

I tested a lot of irons this year and one that might fit your bill is the Cobra S2 Forged. The Cobra rep described it to me as the "Titleist AP 1.5."

I was amazed at the feel of these clubs and the apparent forgiveness; in the end I made a commitment to get the most forgiveness possible, but it took a while to get the S2 Forged out of my mind.

They are a little oversized and the topline is thicker than a true blade, but give them a try and you might be impressed.

View attachment 1392

Yeah S2's are a great choice.

I tested a lot of irons this year and one that might fit your bill is the Cobra S2 Forged. The Cobra rep described it to me as the "Titleist AP 1.5."

I was amazed at the feel of these clubs and the apparent forgiveness; in the end I made a commitment to get the most forgiveness possible, but it took a while to get the S2 Forged out of my mind.

They are a little oversized and the topline is thicker than a true blade, but give them a try and you might be impressed.

View attachment 1392

Thanks, I'll give them a look, too.

Back in the late 90s when I was first starting playing I had a set of Cobra II Osize that I could kill... 200 yd 5-iron, 140 yrd 9-inon... I know they were strong, but still... I could kill them. Made like on Par 3s so much easier. Now I hit a 5 iron 165 yds, so I certainly miss that distance. I just can't hit large heads any more - all in my brain.

Thanks, I'll give them a look, too.

Back in the late 90s when I was first starting playing I had a set of Cobra II Osize that I could kill... 200 yd 5-iron, 140 yrd 9-inon... I know they were strong, but still... I could kill them. Made like on Par 3s so much easier.

Those the ones with the "hump" shafts? I always wanted a set of those. The lofts weren't as strong as they are in today's GI and SGI irons. Maybe pick up a set of those on the bay?

srixon ztx

Been a lot of great advice here.

Just to add a couple of other possibilities : Mizuno JPX 800 Pro, Cobra Amp Forged, Wilson V2.

With so many offerings in the market segment you are looking at, think the best thing to do is not limiting yourself. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC One X

I have a set of TM 300 forged irons. They're older, and you could probably find a set on ebay for about $100. But they are a muscle cavity iron, and if you find a set in good condition, they are great to look at, thin top lines, very minimal offset in a the longer irons. Like, barely noticeable unless you were really staring at them offset. Modern day equivalent would be the TM TP MC irons.

EDIT: I should really read the post date on the OP.

~Rock

Back