Are dress codes good for the game?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I personally like them but many do not. What are your thoughts.

I think they are good, but they can also be taken too far. I dont think that you should have to, "dress up" just to go play golf, but I also dont think that anything should be allowed on a golf course.
I dont think that baggy shorts, sandals and backwards hats belong on a golf course.
On the courses I play, its very common to see people wearing t-shirts, blue jeans and tennis shoes. There really isnt much of a dress code.
Personally, when I play golf I wear a nice polo shirt, khaki pants and golf shoes. I was taught that golf is a gentleman's game and that when playing golf you should dress accordingly.

I like them, It's a break from dressing in street clothes everyday. I was actually at the range, and I had street clothes on, and it was really weird because they have little mirrors you can look at there, and because I wasn't dressed in golf clothes, my swing looked like crap!

What Bakemono said. If I'm only paying $24 with a cart unlimited, I don't really care what anybody else is wearing.

If I was paying big money to be a member at a club then I would be in favor of a strict dress code.

The way I look at it, golf is a game, not a fashion show.

• Admin
Oh we differ there. I believe you have to dress the part.

I dont find a problem when its a normal dress code. But sometimes it seems like they are going a little overboard with the rules. Like when they say Bermuda length shorts. Im a bigger guy and if I wore shorts that went to mid thigh length I would look really bad. I wear shorts that are just above the knee and Ive had courses say things before.

I guess for me, I just consider the fact that golf didnt have noble beginnings. From what I understand, it was invented by a bunch of sheep farmers hitting pieces of crap into rabbit holes with a stick.

• Admin
But I dont think sheep farmers wore jean shorts and wife beaters....hehe

I dont find a problem when its a normal dress code. But sometimes it seems like they are going a little overboard with the rules. Like when they say Bermuda length shorts. Im a bigger guy and if I wore shorts that went to mid thigh length I would look really bad. I wear shorts that are just above the knee and Ive had courses say things before.
Back when I started playing golf again in June of last year, I had long hair (a little shorter than shoulder length) and when I knew that I wanted to start playing golf semi-seriously again, I decided to cut my hair because I was concerned that maybe some golf courses wouldnt allow me on because I had long hair.
However, I dont play on ritzy courses, so Im going to grow my hair out again. After seeing all the people on courses around here who definetly werent dressed up, I cant see any courses turning me away for having long hair.
If they do, well, I will just take my money and business elsewhere.
Im sure there are some courses that probably wouldnt let me on if I had long hair though, but it seems like the dress codes have loosened somewhat in recent years.

Oh we differ there. I believe you have to dress the part.

Personally I dress the part. I just can't see a course like I mentioned above implementing a dress code. I've seen guys in sleeveless t-shirts and cut offs playing there.

I have no issue with hair. Craig Mac came down to join me and his is quite long. But I do have an issue if someone is sporting "jorts"

Back when I started playing golf again in June of last year, I had long hair (a little shorter than shoulder length) and when I knew that I wanted to start playing golf semi-seriously again, I decided to cut my hair because I was concerned that maybe some golf courses wouldnt allow me on because I had long hair.
However, I dont play on ritzy courses, so Im going to grow my hair out again. After seeing all the people on courses around here who definetly werent dressed up, I cant see any courses turning me away for having long hair.
If they do, well, I will just take my money and business elsewhere.
Im sure there are some courses that probably wouldnt let me on if I had long hair though, but it seems like the dress codes have loosened somewhat in recent years.

That is absolutely ridiculous for someone to tell you what length your hair has to be. I am not that familiar with all the players on tour but I know there is a guy, I believe from Spain, and he has his hair in a ponytail. If they let it on the tour they should let it on any course. IMO

Spoiler
chris-cooleys-tightness-of-shorts.jpg

I absoutely think that it is an important aspect of the game that continues to be tested...

Personally, I may dress aggressively with bright, bold colors but I will never wear a pair of jeans on a golf course, period. I'll bend with a mock, since I often wear them but I do feel that the shirt must be a golf branded product. Call me a stickler, but jeans and drinking beers in a cart just isn't the game of golf to me.

That is absolutely ridiculous for someone to tell you what length your hair has to be. I am not that familiar with all the players on tour but I know there is a guy, I believe from Spain, and he has his hair in a ponytail. If they let it on the tour they should let it on any course. IMO

Charley Hoffman makes it happen!

t1_hoffman.jpg

Camillo has kinda long hair too.
I can tell you that people do look at a man different and judge him differently based upon the length of his hair.
Women tend to look at a man with long hair as a badboy (something that I didnt really mind because most women seem to love a badboy) and society in general looks down upon a man with long hair.
I guess I figured that more upscale places like nicer golf courses (the ones that are basically wannabe country clubs) might frown upon my long hair and not allow me to play on their course.
Like I said though, if thats the case I will just take my money and business elsewhere. Its not as if there is a shortage of golf courses in this world and it seems like most of them couldnt care less how long your hair is or what you are wearing. As long as your money is green and has a picture of a president on it, they're more than happy to take it.

I have not heard of a club not letting someone play due to hair length. It would not happen down here in FL that I know of.

Ya people by me are pretty cool with long hair too. I really dont think people would even think twice about it.

I have not heard of a club not letting someone play due to hair length. It would not happen down here in FL that I know of.

Ya people by me are pretty cool with long hair too. I really dont think people would even think twice about it.
Perhaps times have changed.

i think since golf is a game of honor and integrity, having a dress code is a good thing to prevent many people who would come out and give golf a bad name. i like it and personally i use it to my advantage by wearing a lot of funky clothes. i think when a country club starts to push the limit and require jackets in the grille or no mock shirts, thats taking it too far

i think since golf is a game of honor and integrity, having a dress code is a good thing to prevent many people who would come out and give golf a bad name. i like it and personally i use it to my advantage by wearing a lot of funky clothes. i think when a country club starts to push the limit and require jackets in the grille or no mock shirts, thats taking it too far

ak, we'd get along out on the course... you'd take me though, just not playing enough anymore

haha i know we share style. that stinks man, hopefully when spring comes around you get back into the swing of things. i havent played much either, but i have done enough to keep me somewhat decent

haha i know we share style. that stinks man, hopefully when spring comes around you get back into the swing of things. i havent played much either, but i have done enough to keep me somewhat decent

of course, all I want is a serious full profile visor... I'll be like Fred Couples!

Back