What is your favorite iron finish? Why?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
For me, I love a good satin, I adore it...hell...I crave it. The best IMO is still PING, they get their satin right every single time.

What I prefer the least is polished chrome, for some reason I just don't like the way it wears.

I wish black finishes were more durable, though the way the W/S M3's wore was a thing of beauty IMO.

So? Whats your poison of preference?

Satin 1000x over.

I love chrome w/ a satin top line.

Whatever the J40 DPCs were is perfection to me...chrome? Look great, wear is minimal, timeless.

Don't have one. I really can't pick one between chrome or satin. I've never played a black finished iron--but I have wedges and honestly don't know that I even noticed them being different.

I'm with you on the satin.

No glare and minimal scuffing of the face. Never gets to that point of just having the worn/ragged look.

SATIN!!!

i like both satin and chrome...with a slight preference for satin. I have always been a fan of the ping look.

I think stainless steel (whatever finish my H4's are). But it doesn't make a terrible difference to me. I'd love a smoke or black finish that actually stayed intact after considerable use as well.

When brand new, on the shelf, black. In the bag, chrome. In play, satin.

I love a double nickle/satin finish. Been actually thinking about sending my MP15s to have it done to them. I just love that low glare classy look.

4.jpg

Definitely satin - no glare and usually does not show wear much versus chrome or black.

I think stainless steel (whatever finish my H4's are). But it doesn't make a terrible difference to me. I'd love a smoke or black finish that actually stayed intact after considerable use as well.

Are the MP-H4s stainless? I thought they were a forged carbon.

I prefer chrome. This is obviously subjective. I buy my wedges in a more satin finish (black nickel to be precise). They still glare like crazy in the right sun light, so I'm not sure why I'd care to have satin finish in my regular irons if the satin doesn't stop the glare anyways. I just love the look of a clean, polished chrome club behind a ball on some green grass.

That said, I've had one set of irons for the past 13 years, they are polished chrome, and its just what I am used to. I've tried out other irons that were satin, and I never once thought to myself "if only these were polished chrome."

~Rock

I like the black finish. They frame the ball well and are not distracting in sunlight. Only problem is the finish wears off and then I hate them!!

Satin. No glare, classy, and typically wears well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it is Satin. I don't like the glare of chrome and long term they tend to hold up a bit better. Not sure if I've seen it discussed but my assumption has been the chrome (polished) is a cheaper process to produce but that is just an assumption.

Like most on here, I love the look of satin irons. Don't mind chrome, but I feel like satin holds the look better over time.

I like the contrast and 2 tone of my Wilson Staff C100's with the mirror black PVD and plain matte finish within the groove construction and perimeter ring that surounds the cavity and accounts for 1/3 of the mass and weighting thus giving it the forgiveness of an SGI with the profile and pop of a players iron.

<<<<<<------------------Notice in my profile pic the sweet 2 tone I speak of in my C100 GW.

Satin, with maybe a few touches or chrome accent. The Adams CMB is pretty much a perfect example.:

post-30-006284000%201338221680.jpg

Dark chrome/PVD is really nice too when done well, depending on the wear.

I don't really have a preference, I've had satin, I've had chrome. If an iron catches my eye it's usually the shape and cavity that do it for me, not the finish.

Satin for sure. I just love anything with a matte type finish.

Back