Where is your dream retirement state/city?

Once my youngest hits college (5 years) I'm Maui bound. It's the only place I ever truly relax and unwind. I'll definitely buy a home there before the 5 year mark but once I'm free and clear it will be full-time living.

It's funny when I mention to my California neighbors that I'm retiring in Naples Florida how crazy they think I am. None of them have ever spent any time on the west coast of Florida, but that can't imagine anyone would want to leave California for Florida. Most of them think coastal California is the utopian retirement spot.

Pinehurst, NC

It's funny when I mention to my California neighbors that I'm retiring in Naples Florida how crazy they think I am. None of them have ever spent any time on the west coast of Florida, but that can't imagine anyone would want to leave California for Florida. Most of them think coastal California is the utopian retirement spot.

A quick glance of real estate prices in California and its pretty clear where one should retire.

Used to be South Carolina but after our trip to Florida in January, i'm going to need to start looking closer..

my wife's family lives in the auburn/opelika area, and we've spent a fair bit of time in alabama. i absolutely love the state. great people, great food, delineated seasons, and very good golf. after living in orlando my whole life, i dream of the day when i can rid myself of the noise, the congestion, the sea of people, and the general hustle/bustle/rat race. so somewhere in alabama where i could have some land, a nice house, but be close enough to town and some good golf.

Never thought much about it. I guess here in Florida somewhere. I can't think of many other places where I can play golf in shorts on Christmas Eve.

My thoughts have developed on this and I would really want to live somewhere where it's warm (or at least not cold) most of the time so I can golf year round, and then take ski trips to get my ski fix. Somewhere like:

Coastal Georgia or potentially Florida
Pretty much any damn where on the West Coast (Cali being the best, but realism has to win out so Oregon would be in the discussion)

Dunno if I'd ever consider another country, but I wouldn't rule it out.

40 acres in the Texas Hill Country.

It looks like I'm going to work until I die; but as long as we're dreaming...

Option A) Somewhere on the ocean with access to golf
Option B) Winter in Phoenix, Summer in Flagstaff

It depends. If my kids grow up and plant roots here at home then I am perfectly content retiring right where I am. If they move away, I would consider retiring near them (or somewhere between them) depending on where they moved to. If they moved to hot arse Florida or freezing cold Boston however...well, Knoxville still sounds great to me.

All this is contingent on me actually 1) living to retirement age and 2) being able to afford to retire.

Nassau Bahamas

I personally would love to retire right in the state I am living, Michigan. I love it here just would look at moving to a bit better area. Mind you that could change since I have a minimum of 30+ years till that becomes an option.

I think I am in it. North Carolina has beaches of several types, mountains, Pinehurst area, big cities but not overgrown. If we could drop the state tax it would be a haven for pro golfers. Three hour trip to Charleston which is my favorite American city. And a ton of good golf. Great family life.

I think the dream scenario for us would be summers in Bay Harbor Michigan and winters in either Naples FL or Hilton Head SC. Two kids in college so realistically, we will wait to see where they settle and go from there.

Coastal Georgia
North Carolina
Southern California

South Carolina. Maybe Hilton Head.

since visiting hilton head, Sc that made the short list along with hawaii pretty much the big island but all os beautiful. I also have the fancy to move overseas to south america or parts of europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penticton/Kelowna or Victoria.

I already have the plan. In 8 years I am moving 40 miles away to Pinehurst, North Carolina. As soon as I get the youngest done with college, I'm there.

How is the job and housing markets in Pinehurst? It looks like a golf haven.

It's a 45 minute drive to Fort Bragg, which is where I work. Other than that, there's a lot of health care jobs, but it's pretty slim compared to most cities.

Housing is a little expensive if you're in Pinehurst, but Southern Pines and Aberdeen are right next door and are really reasonable. You pay a premium just to have a Pinehurst address.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

We are so far away it's not funny, but my wife insists she wants to retire back to Tuscaloosa, AL and spend time auditing classes. I'm not sold on that plan, but have 30+ years to figure out a better one.

I saw this thread pop back up today.
Initially, I had planned on buying in Pinehurst, NC.
I joined a club here in Phoenix, so I will be here at least part time, until I die. Great golf, great facility, simple, and still inexpensive to live.
I still may head to Pinehurst, but I want to get a vacation home in Flagstaff (easy commute, very different weather, has some great golf courses) and may try to pay it off sooner rather than later.

Back