Help me short-list some shovels please.

I have played two sets of hibores,the originals and the XLi's and have demoed the HB3's. It doesn't get more forgiving! I have seen the XLi's new in the $300 range. If high, straight and long are what you need,look no furthur.

Were the Cleveland HB3's superior in anyway to the HiBores or XLi's ?

I have an original versions of Cleveland Launcher Irons. I can't imagine something being more forgiveable. They are very simple looking as well which I also like, and look much better at address to me than most any other club I demo'ed at the time. They are several years old now, but I see new sets 4-GW in the $300ish range. I would definitley try them out if you see a set that meets your price range.

One thing to keep in mind if every new year's clubs were really that much better than the recent years past clubs we'd all be much better golfers!

I am in a similar boat. My goal is to find irons at the outing I like, and then buy them next year as soon as they become bargin irons. While there is a huge difference between my 8 year old irons and the modern ones- I don't buy into the huge differences between two consecutive model years.

Go with the TM Burner '09's.

http://www.budgetgolf.net/closeout-golf-clubs.html

This site has the Nike Slingshots with hybrids included for $299 and the Cleveland Hibore XLI's for a great price too. I've been exploring all my options too. I'm probably going with the XLI's or HB3's because their lie angle and length is a better fit for me than the Nike clubs.

http://www.budgetgolf.net/xcart/product.php?productid=23309&cat=503&page=1

http://www.budgetgolf.net/NIKE-SLINGSHOT-HL-MIXED-SET-p-21388.html

But you can have both of those custom fit for you before purchase of just about any set.

cant go wrong with the adams or nickent... cheap and forgiving... great combo

Demoed 3 sets indoors at Dick's today. I wasn't able to try the Cleveland's, which was disappointing, but there is another store that carries them.

Nike Slingshot - Were just ok for me. Didn't seem too much different than my current set. Hated the grips, though that's small stuff.

Callaway 2008 Big Bertha - These were pretty good. The ball took off pretty high and the size of the face gave me confidence. The 3-4 hybrids are some of the ugliest things I've ever seen.

Adams A3OS - This was the one. The ball jumped off the club and went way up in the air. I liked the feel and the sound. The club just made me feel confident by it's looks. I didn't get a chance to demo the hybrids, but I might just skip them anyway. I like my hybrids.

The one surprising thing is that the Adams' shaft was stiff flex. I told the salesman that I normally played regular and he told me that I was right on the edge between regular and stiff. He said (as I have heard before) that I would be better off with the stiffer shaft since I was so close.

Now, to save up some money and find the best deal. I think I can pick up a 3-PW set for 299.99/free shipping. I'd love to buy them at Dick's, but the price is way too high.

see if Dick's will price match? Glad you found something you liked though!

Demoed 3 sets indoors at Dick's today. I wasn't able to try the Cleveland's, which was disappointing, but there is another store that carries them.

Nike Slingshot - Were just ok for me. Didn't seem too much different than my current set. Hated the grips, though that's small stuff.

Callaway 2008 Big Bertha - These were pretty good. The ball took off pretty high and the size of the face gave me confidence. The 3-4 hybrids are some of the ugliest things I've ever seen.

Adams A3OS - This was the one. The ball jumped off the club and went way up in the air. I liked the feel and the sound. The club just made me feel confident by it's looks. I didn't get a chance to demo the hybrids, but I might just skip them anyway. I like my hybrids.

The one surprising thing is that the Adams' shaft was stiff flex. I told the salesman that I normally played regular and he told me that I was right on the edge between regular and stiff. He said (as I have heard before) that I would be better off with the stiffer shaft since I was so close.

Now, to save up some money and find the best deal. I think I can pick up a 3-PW set for 299.99/free shipping. I'd love to buy them at Dick's, but the price is way too high.

dont skip out on the adams hybrids... those things are money

Just thought I would bump this with my post-purchase thoughts.

I bought the a30S set - 3h-PW - True Temper Performance Lite shafts in stiff flex ( in the irons)- and have played 4 or 5 rounds with them. Went to the range a few times as well. I am really happy with my purchase and have seen some real improvements in my ball flight and distance.

I have added 5-10 yards in distance with each iron and I'm getting the ball up higher and straighter, especially on mis-hits. The added distance and accuracy has been really helpful in hitting greens on my approach shots. Of course, they aren't magic sticks, but they have given me a bit of an edge that I was really lacking with my old irons. Also, I have been using the 8i for my tight-lie chipping and it has been working nicely.

The hybrids have not made it into my bag yet. As I mentioned, I really like my Fybrids, especially the 4h and 5h. I took the Adams hybrids to the range and I noticed that they had a really sweet sound and a nice ball flight, but I don't feel as confident with them in terms of accuracy right now. I plan to keep taking them to the range. Hybrids are the clubs that I really need to feel confident over since I use them for longer and more difficult shots.

Anyway, just thought I'd post for the sake of posting. I'm really glad that I picked these up.

Good to hear hawk! I would be torn between the A3OS hybrids and the Fybrids as well. I love my Fybrid 4h. Great for every type of shot, even fairway bunkers. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new sticks.

The 4h Fybrid was JB's old stick and he generously gave it to me at the last outing. At first I was a bit wild with it, but I absolutely love that club now. It has helped me feel like I can hit the longer par 3's in one shot and that has been huge for my game.

I think its the easiest club in the world to hit. I was hesitant about taking my 4 iron out of the bag. I picked one up for 45 bucks brand new(thought it was worth a gamble) and I have not regretted it since.

You guys are making me want to try a hybrid for the first time, even though I like my 3 & 4 iron and can't complain about their performance from 190 to 210 yards.

For my game, hybrids are a huge help. I can get much better distance and height from them than I would a longer iron. A great example of why I like them so much happened a couple rounds ago. I hit a 4h into the green on a longer par 3 and the ball was about 5 feet from the ball mark. Also, they can be great from the rough (as long as the ball isn't completely buried).

i'm with hawk here. i'm a big fan of the hybrid

Can't hit a 3 or 4 iron to save my life.

Can hit my 3 and 4 hybrids like a champ!!

Hawk I have these and love them. thats a great price too, I paid $249 just before Christmas.

are you looking for an entire set or 5-PW? Found Nike slingshot 4d's 5-PW for 199 @ rockbottomgolf.com

dooh! nevermind just finished reading all 3 pages and see you ended up with Adams. congrats and good luck with the new sticks!

i can destroy my 3i-4i... but i wont take my 3h-4h outta the bag... they are much better

Back