UK THP Spring Cup Discussion Thread

The last golf day I played in was at Owston Hall back in October and the weather was pretty rubbish, a cold drizzle that became a shower every now and again which was not nice to play in

If I remember right, I scored something like 31 points (playing off 18) and the winning score was only 34 points so I am hopeful that with a bit of golf between now and June I can at least look to be posting a respectable score

Should have 2 golf days in early May so that might give me an idea of where I am starting at

And my handicap aim this year is to get an official one and hopefully get to at least 15 so it looks like we may be aiming for similar goals Mav

Sounds very similar sir.

In last weeks monthly medal at my local course I shot 33 playing off 19, and the conditions were very poor. Placed 3rd in Division 2 and the winning score overall between both division 1 and division 2 was only 36 points (that was my old man Ianb281 - nice job Dad!)

I left so many shots on the course as well, not to mention blobbing 4 holes altogether :disapointed:

I know what you mean fella.

Not wanting to sound like I am blowing my own trumpet but if you had seen me play before Christmas (Aug-Oct 2012 time) you would have seen a totally different golfer. Quite honestly I was struggling with everything, my swing was so upright I was hitting major banana slices off the tee, shanking hybrids and irons at 45* angles more often than not - honestly it was awful. I was literally scoring 20-22 points in stableford games most weeks.

I spent alot of time over the back end of 2012 and the Xmas period (Nov and Dec) with the old man down at the range trying desperatly to flatten my swing out. Literally 3-4 nights a week for 6 or 7 weeks in freezing cold tempretures hitting around 80-100 balls a night. In addition to that I've changed my whole bag bar my driver and putter and FINALLY it seems to be paying off.

Im back to hitting mid 30's in stableford on Saturdays and shot an 84 about 4 or 5 weeks back which is one of my best rounds ever. My goal for this season is to get back to something respectable around 15-16, and Im hoping bandit will become my short term nickname whilst I am doing that :)

I've seen you swing. You will hit that goal and better. As long as you don't try too hard and forget that it's fun too! ;)

I've seen you swing. You will hit that goal and better. As long as you don't try too hard and forget that it's fun too! ;)

Appreciate that fella - thank you.

Sounds very similar sir.

In last weeks monthly medal at my local course I shot 33 playing off 19, and the conditions were very poor. Placed 3rd in Division 2 and the winning score overall between both division 1 and division 2 was only 36 points (that was my old man Ianb281 - nice job Dad!)

I left so many shots on the course as well, not to mention blobbing 4 holes altogether :disapointed:

After two 27s at the Winter Cup, I cruised to 36 points in the Pro Stableford off 19 so I am beginning to get comfortable with the new shafts. Think we are all in the same boat!

Sounds very similar sir.

It certainly does sound similar - I hope I can bring the swing I have been seeing at the range for the last couple of weeks as that is going to be the thing that either gives me a shot at any course or means I am having to rely on my mid-iron approach play

The only thing I am lacking at the moment, which I am hoping to find a way to sort, is my short game practice as I don't have anywhere local where I can practice my chipping round the green, and I am hoping to add a putting mat to my gear so that I can at least get some practice rolling putts and working on my stroke

After two 27s at the Winter Cup, I cruised to 36 points in the Pro Stableford off 19 so I am beginning to get comfortable with the new shafts. Think we are all in the same boat!

Decent result fella - nicely done.

It always takes sometime to adjust to new clubs/shafts, so bear with it. I think the only reason I took to mine so quickly was because of the work done on my swing and the fact that these clubs were matted to that improved swing right from day 1.

It certainly does sound similar - I hope I can bring the swing I have been seeing at the range for the last couple of weeks as that is going to be the thing that either gives me a shot at any course or means I am having to rely on my mid-iron approach play

The only thing I am lacking at the moment, which I am hoping to find a way to sort, is my short game practice as I don't have anywhere local where I can practice my chipping round the green, and I am hoping to add a putting mat to my gear so that I can at least get some practice rolling putts and working on my stroke

My short game is probably one of my stronger areas which is fortunate for me because I am in exactly the same boat and have limited practice facilities for short game during the winter months. Once the summer comes round the range that's a bit closer to me has grass areas and practice bunkers, so I can make use of them if needs be.

Putting wise, I tend to do what limited practice I do on the carpet at home.....

My short game is probably one of my stronger areas which is fortunate for me because I am in exactly the same boat and have limited practice facilities for short game during the winter months. Once the summer comes round the range that's a bit closer to me has grass areas and practice bunkers, so I can make use of them if needs be.

Putting wise, I tend to do what limited practice I do on the carpet at home.....

When I played years ago, I used to have quite a good game from around 150yds in, but that slipped when I stopped playing so just trying to get that back for now

Putting - I would have done the same on the carpet until I get a mat sorted, but that has been a bit difficult with the amount of time we have had a daughter, newborn grandson and dog in the house since the beginning of the year....

Boys, from what I can see off the web, we will all get plenty of short game practice at the Belfry! I might also guess that they have some decent practice facilities. Perhaps we should form a support group and get there early! I have been struggling of late, and struggling in one area seems to spread like a virus...the confidence goes. For me, short game is all about confidence. My problems start when I under commit or play the shot without any clear idea of what is going to happen. So...if you want a better short game, 1. Get a decent drive away. 2. Play any touch shot you like, but with confidence and commitment.
now, if I could only practice what I preach...:angry:

I think to get the most out of my short game I am probably going to need to re-arrange that end of my bag as the lofts I currently have are

PW - 47*
SW - 52*

Then I just have the 64* wedge which has been quite handy where I play, but leaves me with a huge gap, so I will probably look at popping either a 56* or 58* wedge instead and dropping the 64*

Although at the other end of the bag, if I add a driver, I can probably drop my 3i as it is 20* which is only 1* off my 5W at 19* which gives me an extra spot to go with a 56* and a 58*

Just need to decide what to do now.....but my bag currently has 13 clubs as per the 3rd line in the table below, but could potentially be changed to the bottom line with the addition of a couple of clubs
Club
Driver
3W
5W
PW
SW
Wedge
Wedge
Wedge
Putter
Total
Loft
?
Current
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Possible
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y

Doc,

Would definatly say the gap in your wedges is too great. I have a 45* PW, 50* ATV, 55* SW and 60* ATV. I dont in all honesty use the SW for an awful lot, but my PW, AW and LW all have exact yardages and perfom certain tasks for me.

PW - 110-115yards (also used for chipping round the green & bump and run type shots)
GW - 90-100 yards (but is generally used from anything from 50-100 yards)
SW - 70-80 yards (not often used)
LW - 50-60 yards (used for "up and over" type shots)

The other thing that may well be worth considering is the including of one or two hybrids. The hybrids are obviously shorter and easier to hit, plus they have the versatility out of the rough that a 3 wood or 5 wood perhaps lacks - although I suppose that depends on how well you hit them.

Driver wise, this is always going to be a personal preference. Some don't bother with them at all, but the benefits can be huge if you can find yourself a driver that suits and you can get yourself settled with it.

Doc

A million and one threads to help you with this one! Have a look as there is some brilliant advice. My key learning points have been;
1. Lofts are a guideline, much more important is yardage and gap.
2. It is intensely personal.

I game 5 wedges. Yes. 5. Have a look at the SCOR threads and website if you want to know why. There is a lot of sense in this company's approach.

Top end. I have the big boy and then a hybrid. To be honest, I am more accurate with my driver than a fairway wood off the tee and a lot more accurate with a hybrid off the deck and from iffy lies than I am with a fairway wood, so my bag has quite a simple look to it.

For me the big clubs are about getting me to my scoring range where a selection of wedges makes me think about club selection rather than trying to adjust my swing for a distance.

To be honest, I struggle maintaining one decent swing, let alone more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I haven't carried a driver in my bag (and don't even have one in the house) for a number of years now due to not having much confidence with it, but I really liked the original RBZ when I got a chance to hit it last year but I just didn't have the cash to afford it which was a shame as I was hitting it really well

Hybrids I have never hit so I would have to really spend some time with them to see whether or not they would replace any of my long irons, but I certainly don't have any problems hitting either the 3W or 5W so they are not really on the radar at the minute if I was to be honest

I always knew there was a big gap in my wedges, but for the courses I have played, I have never really found myself stuck in an awkward position that I wasn't able to manufacture something with either the SW or 64* as I have either been at a comfortable distance, or in such a position that I can play a chip with a 9i or something like that and allow for plenty of run out, but I know that if I start playing different courses, that problem will no doubt arise especially when playing somewhere I don't know

A couple of wedges would be ideal especially considering I was peppering the 60, 90 and 125yd greens with my PW when I was at the range last night while working on some distance control, but it is nice to know I can have a choice of clubs for the various distances

Due to how well I hit my 3W from the tee I think the wedges will be the first purchase due to current financial constraints, unless I find a good deal and can afford everything together

EDIT - I noticed you posted while I was busy typing my reply El B, and I agree it is all personal choice, and I suppose my bag is more of the classic old school spread of clubs with the 3 woods, irons, couple of wedges and putter, but if I can get back to some consistent playing like I used to in the past then that bag will suit me fine if I can pick up a couple of clubs

In an ideal world I would like to have a new set of irons so I don't want to add too many new clubs to the bag just now until I decide on the new irons and what gaps I will end up with

Now would be a good time to pick up an RBZ driver - should be able to get a decent one of the bay for £60-£70 or there abouts.

Now would be a good time to pick up an RBZ driver - should be able to get a decent one of the bay for £60-£70 or there abouts.

Yup, and I have got some time off in a week so I will be hopefully hitting as many different clubs as I can to see what I fancy

If you're out for a bargain Doc, there are some good ones out there.

David L just got himself 3 Nike VRS wedges brand new for £75 all in. Not tried them but they look pretty nice. Not sure what he plans to do with his old ones but he may sell them on for a big if a steal?

Re Drivers, they are much easier to hit these days but do watch some of the newer ones which tend to be an inch longer and hence faster swing speed but harder to control.

One thing I know it's fun looking and trying things, good site at Direct Golf in ingelby Barwick up in your neck of the woods, big range do you can try it all out!

If you're out for a bargain Doc, there are some good ones out there.

David L just got himself 3 Nike VRS wedges brand new for £75 all in. Not tried them but they look pretty nice. Not sure what he plans to do with his old ones but he may sell them on for a big if a steal?

Re Drivers, they are much easier to hit these days but do watch some of the newer ones which tend to be an inch longer and hence faster swing speed but harder to control.

One thing I know it's fun looking and trying things, good site at Direct Golf in ingelby Barwick up in your neck of the woods, big range do you can try it all out!

That is where I will be going, got my RBZ woods from there last year and I had the free MOT there with a mate and I have found each of the guys in there more than helpful as I have dealt with someone different for each time I have bought something

The guy who I dealt with for my woods even asked me how I was getting on with them when I called in the other week....considering it must be a good 7 or 8 months since I bought them I never expected him to remember what I got....so I was quite impressed

Do you know what old wedges David has got? If he does decide to sell them on, I may well be interested

Direct Golf are fantastic - never been in there and felt disappointed with the service provided.

Got fitted for my RBladez in there Romford store and also brought my Razr Fit from them as well as the guy spent over an hour on the launch monitor with me giving me different clubs to hit and then priced matched the cheapest I could find on the internet as well.

Highly recommend the service from Direct Golf.

Direct Golf are fantastic - never been in there and felt disappointed with the service provided.

Got fitted for my RBladez in there Romford store and also brought my Razr Fit from them as well as the guy spent over an hour on the launch monitor with me giving me different clubs to hit and then priced matched the cheapest I could find on the internet as well.

Highly recommend the service from Direct Golf.

Yeah, the Ingleby Barwick store is just as good and I am hoping to spend some time on the launch monitor bay while I am off

Sunday Morning Bump for all those Europeans out there. Fantastic value two day get together at the Belfry at the beginning of June. A great laugh, a few beers and who knows maybe even a golf shot or two! A chance to take on reigning Chump, sorry Champ Crag Rat, out drive 'long ball' Bully, pepper the pin with David L and out drink 'King of the Shots' Mav281.

C'mon guys, you know you want to!

Sunday Morning Bump for all those Europeans out there. Fantastic value two day get together at the Belfry at the beginning of June. A great laugh, a few beers and who knows maybe even a golf shot or two! A chance to take on reigning Chump, sorry Champ Crag Rat, out drive 'long ball' Bully, pepper the pin with David L and out drink 'King of the Shots' Mav281.

C'mon guys, you know you want to!

........and not forgetting a personalised golf shirt (when I get round to it).

Promises to be a great couple of days!!!

........and not forgetting a personalised golf shirt (when I get round to it).

Promises to be a great couple of days!!!

And of course your souvenir sleeve of custom printed Golf balls courtesy of El B

And and a "little surprise" from Crag Rat (I hope he is keeping his clothes on ;) )

How can people not sign up?

With a bit of luck, the weather will have sorted itself out by then too....

Awesome stuff lads :)

MAV, what's the story with TK and Mick? Are they coming to the Belfry?

MAV, what's the story with TK and Mick? Are they coming to the Belfry?

No sadly not TK is away in Turkey and Micc has other commitments.

We currently have 10 fully confirmed people who have paid deposits, so not a bad turn out at all at this stage :)

Back