Trying to Break 80 Club

DO NOT ADD UP YOUR SCORE TILL THE END!!!

i can't stress that enough, that was the only way I was able to do it, I would keep getting so close and think, if I just go par bogey bogey I could do it and always kill my round. Just write down your score hole by hole and pay no attention to the card.
Haven't added at the turn for two seasons. Sometimes I think maybe I'd focus better if I knew I could do well with a good back 9 but then the added pressure probably just negate that altogether. So no adding scores it is.

I finally feel like I can post in here. Never shot lower than a 94 before this year, and now I'm averaging below that. Shot a personal best 83 yesterday (43/40). Feel like accuracy off the tee and putting are what are holding me at the 88-92 range most of the time.

Shot 38 on the front with two 3 putts. Then went bogey, bogey, par, par and proceeded off the next three tee boxes with an OB, lateral hazard, OB. Ended up with a 42 for an 80. Aargggh!

Shot 38 on the front with two 3 putts. Then went bogey, bogey, par, par and proceeded off the next three tee boxes with an OB, lateral hazard, OB. Ended up with a 42 for an 80. Aargggh!
Looks like you're almost there. Just keep focus, I'm sure it'll come through in a big way.

DO NOT ADD UP YOUR SCORE TILL THE END!!!

i can't stress that enough, that was the only way I was able to do it, I would keep getting so close and think, if I just go par bogey bogey I could do it and always kill my round. Just write down your score hole by hole and pay no attention to the card.

That is my favorite reason to use an app to keep score that tracks extra stats like GIRs, FIRs, Sand saves, etc... Typically you can only see the hole you are scoring and once you're done, its on to the next one.

83 today after starting of double double. Did not realize I was close till I was on the 17th tee box waiting and added up the score. Then proceeded to bogie the hole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

39/42 today for an 81. So close. And left a few shots out there on the course. Didn't add my score up until the end. Glad the 4 foot putt I missed on 18 wasn't what would have broke 80 for me.

I'm fighting with my swing, right now. A few holes per round tempt me with that thought that I'll break 80, again, soon, but I've got some work to do.

84 today. Putter was HOT. No birdies like usual but plenty of pars. Driver was OK, same with irons. Scrambled well

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

82 with two birdies and two doubles. Hitting too few greens on the back nine and hitting a layup into the water killed my 70s chances.

Today was the day!!!

3 years and 24 days since my brother and cousin came down to go fishing and brought their clubs, and a spare set. My brother said, we're playing golf, come if you want..... I did and it quickly became an obsession.

My wife Kim and I played 18 at Olde Point Country Club in Hampstead NC this afternoon. Shot a 40 on the front and things got even better on the back nine. Finished 40/38 for an 80 busting 78!!!

It was a great round of golf.

Tommy

Last edited:
Today was the day!!!

3 years and 24 days since my brother and cousin came down to go fishing and brought their clubs, and a spare set. My brother said, we're playing golf, come if you want..... I did and it quickly became an obsession.

My wife Kim and I played 18 at Olde Point Country Club in Hampstead NC this afternoon. Shot a 40 on the front and things got even better on the back nine. Finished 40/38 for an 80 busting 78!!!

Tommy
Congratulations! That's a great milestone and awesome for getting here in short work.

It almost happened. Shot a 40 and 41 on a course I normally shoot 88-92. When I got back into golf this year I really wanted to break 90 but now I think its a legit goal to go sub 80. The last 6 rounds have been - 87, 85, 86, 85, 86, 81. I keep trying to cut my mistakes down by letting go of the last shot to focus on the next shot and my scrambling percentage has been trending up. Also the most important thing for myself is concentrating on just getting those 15-20 foot birdie puts to <12 inches. I use to just go after them and sometimes leave myself 3-4 foot par putts which shanked/pulled/pushed into bogeys. Heres to posting a 79 or lower in this tread by the end of the year.

FINALLY!!!!! Shot 42, 37 for a 79 at Foxboro Golf Course in Summerton, SC. The round didn't start off great with bogeys on the first 6 holes (ugh, short game woes). Finally found a stroke on #7 and rattled off 3 straight pars. Got to #10 and pulled the drive but got lucky, second shot into the bunker, out of bunker, flub chip, all total, triple bogey :(. Played the last 8 holes 2 under. Hit a great 5 iron to 2.5 feet on a 183 yard par 3 into a stiff breeze for my first birdie. Then a couple holes later, piped a 3 wood and hit a wedge to about 10 feet and made the birdie. Went into 18 knowing that par meant 79. Piped a 3 hybrid down the middle and hit a great 8 iron to about 12 feet. Just missed the birdie and had a tap in par for the 79! All things considered, I didn't have my best ball striking day, but my short game that let me down on the front 9 bailed me out on the back. Only 12 putts on the back 9! Tap in pars are always nice! Looking forward to getting back out there soon!

FINALLY!!!!! Shot 42, 37 for a 79 at Foxboro Golf Course in Summerton, SC. The round didn't start off great with bogeys on the first 6 holes (ugh, short game woes). Finally found a stroke on #7 and rattled off 3 straight pars. Got to #10 and pulled the drive but got lucky, second shot into the bunker, out of bunker, flub chip, all total, triple bogey :(. Played the last 8 holes 2 under. Hit a great 5 iron to 2.5 feet on a 183 yard par 3 into a stiff breeze for my first birdie. Then a couple holes later, piped a 3 wood and hit a wedge to about 10 feet and made the birdie. Went into 18 knowing that par meant 79. Piped a 3 hybrid down the middle and hit a great 8 iron to about 12 feet. Just missed the birdie and had a tap in par for the 79! All things considered, I didn't have my best ball striking day, but my short game that let me down on the front 9 bailed me out on the back. Only 12 putts on the back 9! Tap in pars are always nice! Looking forward to getting back out there soon!
6 bogeys to start...wow, you did it the hard way!

Today was the day!!!

Tommy
Great story!
Congrat's!!!

6 bogeys to start...wow, you did it the hard way!

6....STRAIGHT! then 3 pars and a freakin triple! When I go back and replay it in my head I really don't know how it happened because I didn't strike the ball that great...short game came together on the back 9 and I had 5 straight 1 putts and 6 out of the 9 holes were 1 putts. That was the difference!

6....STRAIGHT! then 3 pars and a freakin triple! When I go back and replay it in my head I really don't know how it happened because I didn't strike the ball that great...short game came together on the back 9 and I had 5 straight 1 putts and 6 out of the 9 holes were 1 putts. That was the difference!

And some try to claim putting isn't any more important...

Chalk up another round in the 70's today. First of the year...time to keep it rolling. Just booked another round for tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday I went into work, and they said I had the day off... I don't remember booking it, but said I'll go golfing. So glad!

I finally beat 80, with a 77. Funny thing is, that my scorecard is all pars and bogeys, no double's or birdies. I actually could have done better, as was 2' off the green on our island green for eagle, and par was the result... Other than that it was a day to remember!
And three seasons ago I was shooting 110+, I cannot even imagine shooting that anymore.

I did shoot a 41 for final 9 holes of the 27 I shot yesterday, but I'll give myself a break as I walked all 27.

Last edited:
Should have been able to come back in the thread with a sub-80 round, but missed a few putts and carded an 80. Hoping to have another opportunity on Sunday.

Yesterday I went into work, and they said I had the day off... I don't remember booking it, but said I'll go golfing. So glad!

I finally beat 80, with a 77. Funny thing is, that my scorecard is all pars and bogeys, no double's or birdies. I actually could have done better, as was 2' off the green on our island green for eagle, and par was the result... Other than that it was a day to remember!
And three seasons ago I was shooting 110+, I cannot even imagine shooting that anymore.

I did shoot a 41 for final 9 holes of the 27 I shot yesterday, but I'll give myself a break as I walked all 27.

Nice round, SHIFTY! Hope your good play has continued from MN.

41/40 today. If there's was a contest to shoot between 81 and 84 the most consistently I would have it wrapped up the way I've been playing. My lost shots never come from the same clubs from one round to the other or even in the same round. A bad drive leading to a double or a few failed up and downs from just off the green seem to pop up every round to keep from consistently being in the upper 70's.

Good: Best round of the year by far.
Better: 43 / 36 for 79, first of the year. Never know when the year will come I can't shoot in the 70's, so I rejoice when / if I finally do each year.
Hey, it's Opposite Day / Golf is Confusing : I was 7 over after 5 holes. And not unlucky 7 over, I'm talking "where the h*ll is the fairway" 7 over. Couldn't hit a ball out of my shadow without finding a hazard. Came to the 6th, which is REALLY close to the parking lot and very nearly left. Parred that, and suddenly it was 2 bogeys, 2 birds, and a stack of pars after that.

Shot 84 today and had a few holes that got me. 46/38. Had a double and triple on 2nd and 3rd holes. Sprinkled a couple,other bogeys in on the front side,

shot 80 the other day. with a bogie on 18.... arghhh

Back