How many smoker's do we have here?

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Reaction score
Handicap
At 49 you would think I would know better, but I have smoked off and on for the better part of 30 years. About a pack a day for me. Only in garage at home and I pick up after myself on the course. I hate seeing butts on the course.

been smoking about thirty-five years or more.
was smoking three packs a day up until fall.
Quit.
started back after about a month.
now smoking almost a pack a day.
I beleive I am gonna quit again this week or next for sure.

I quit when I was around 19 ,but have always been a tobacco chewer , ( skoal long cut classic ) and I am one of the people you will never know I chew , I do not do the nasty spiting !
Wish I could quit , but its harder then quitting smoking , as I have tried and can not get past the 5th-6th day as I grow horns out of the top of my head and get mean . :(

That is the hardest part of being around a person who is trying to quit smoking. The withdrawal process makes people extremely mean and it's very hard to be around that person. But at the same time you want to support them. It's a difficult time for everyone. My dad smoked for 20 years until he woke up one morning spitting up blood and black stuff. He went to the doctor and ran a bunch of tests and his lungs were totally black. He quit cold turkey that day and never looked back. It wasn't fun when he first quit but now he can't stand the smell of smoke.

I quit when I was around 19 ,but have always been a tobacco chewer , ( skoal long cut classic ) and I am one of the people you will never know I chew , I do not do the nasty spiting !
Wish I could quit , but its harder then quitting smoking , as I have tried and can not get past the 5th-6th day as I grow horns out of the top of my head and get mean . :(

I chew - darn baseball thing... copenhagen snuff. I can go days or even weeks without, but it seems like I always go back....

I quit in '77 and it is one of the best decisions I ever made. Its tough to do but you do feel much better about yourself and you are healthier, sound like good reasons to give it up if you have decided to quit.

Glad I quit, at 6$ a pack now I don't know how people afford it.

I usually smoke 5-10 a day. Used to be much more, but I don't smoke inside and I hate going outside in the cold. So much that I don't even smoke on my breaks at work. Not worth the hassle to me. I smoke a little bit more in the summer, but not much. I also like to chew on the Snus packets since they are no-spit.

this new years eve will be one year without smoking cigarettes
but i still puff on cigars once in a blue moon
i still get craving really bad so im looking into getting those fake water vapor electronic cigarettes

I like a black and mild about twice a week. The only time I go overboard with the smoking is at golfing get outings.

Quit smoking about 4 years ago and then about 8 months ago in Vegas with some friends picked it up again "just while we're in Vegas". Now up to about 3/4 pack a day but quitting new years eve. $6 a pack!!!! Come to canada where the cheapest pack is about $11, good brands around $13.

Ex-smoker here, quit about 5 years ago. I am glad I did, I do not miss the smell, planing around smoke breaks, and the health benefits.

For those that are quiting I wish you the best luck, stick with it and you'll beat it. I tried 3-5 times before I was able to kick the habit. I always fear starting again so I will not even have one while out with the guys.

for you chewers;

trustorieslogo2.png

I enjoyed smoking but I quit two and a half years ago, the day I brought my son home from the hospital. I miss it still and I don't think my cravings will ever go away completely. I tried to quit TONS of times but it came down to having the right reason for myself.

I work very hard at not being one of those self righteous ex smokers though. You will never hear me complain about someone smoking outside. As long as no one blows it in my boys face... light em up! I would smoke with you if I could.

I chew and it's a disgusting, stupid habit that I would dearly love to quit. I smoked for several years and switched to chewing tobacco some 30 years ago.

I did quit once, gave it up for lent one year, cold turkey, and actually stuck with it about 7 mos, hardest thing I have ever done.

Last edited:
for you chewers;

trustorieslogo2.png

ahhh, needed that...I didnt know there were any repercussions for smoking or chewing. For some reason that post annoyed the hell out of me. If I need a parents advice I will ask.

back on topic...

I smoke, I like a good cig in the morning with some coffee. Gets me stomach churning(if you know what I mean). I prob only smoke about 4 a day. I tend to smoke more when partying or golfing though

I quit just over 3 years ago... was at a pack a day and then quit using the gum for a few months and then i was good to go....

I quit just over 3 years ago... was at a pack a day and then quit using the gum for a few months and then i was good to go....

You quiter! You can get Marlborough Lights there for like $3!

I used Skoal from 1981 until 2007. A can a day at least. Quit cold turkey but I cheated. I used herbal chew for a year after that. Seems like what I needed was something there more than the nicotene. Now I'll buy a can of the herbal stuff when I go on a long road trip but that's it.

The other thing you can look at is your insurance rates go down a LOT if you are non-nicotene, so if you get off chew, cigarettes. the patch, nicorette gum and and other nicotene systems you can save more money thastn the cost of the product. Not sure how much car insurance goes down, but depending on your age, you can cut your life insurance rates by almost half after you've been off it for a year. (It affects it more the older you are)

And how many of you smokers are planning on quitting this year?

And how many of you smokers are planning on quitting this year?

I'm not a quitter. I like smoking. Also, it's scientific fact that it makes you look cool.

Back