I Felt the Lag Today for the First Time

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I had a five minute lesson today on the range (my friend/pro who's 13 year old daughter is a true golfing phenom). He had me shorten my back swing and really accelerate at impact. I'd been taking a long back swing and almost decelerating at impact.

BIG difference. I could feel the lag hold and release without any effort on my part. The ball went higher, farther, and straighter out into the snow covered range. This was with all of my clubs...lob wedge through driver.

When I tried to "help" the swing I released the club early. When I let it happen, without any "interference" on my part, I hit the ball flush. A huge difference.

The difficult part is shortening the back swing. When I do it I am really popping the ball. I could feel the lag/release and the club really zing through the impact area.

Of course I did this with the X-Prototypes. :)

It is a sweet feeling when you get it. Only happens about once every 10 shots for me.

It is a sweet feeling when you get it. Only happens about once every 10 shots for me.
Hey Doc, IF I shorten the back swing and accelerate properly AND trust it it is repeatable. That's all I have to do. :)

Feeling the lag for the first time is awesome. It gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling especially when you start consistently repeating it.

Sent from my operating system using thumbs 2.0

Feeling the lag for the first time is awesome. It gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling especially when you start consistently repeating it.

You bet! So that's what if feels like...I exclaimed to myself. I just hope I can sustain it and it wasn't a one off thing.

I think I really felt proper lag the last time out at the range. It was one of the best range sessions I've ever had. I think I was able to maintain the positive streak I was feeling from last weekend's good round. I'm with you, it's a neat feeling. At first, it's sort of foreign, like "there's no way I'm going to hit this cleanly" and then, all of a sudden, it works. The ball flys with the proper trajectory and path. I stumbled upon it by accident, just trying to have a smooth takeaway with straight arms and a smooth transition at the top. This probably had the side-effect of shortening my backswing. I'm hoping to get to the range after work today, to see if I can continue the good groove I'm in. I hope you can keep your swing going too!:drinks:

Thanks SD, you too! It really is a matter of trust...that the club head will catch up with out any interference on my part. The proof is there right in front of me. Duh.

The feel of that release, watching that well struck golf shot soar through the air...nothing like it. :)

You bet! So that's what if feels like...I exclaimed to myself. I just hope I can sustain it and it wasn't a one off thing.

It won't be a one off thing for you, just keep doing what your doing!

It's amazing what lag does. I have started to take "3/4" punch shots to work on in-out swing path and lag. I only recently managed to get the feeling with any regularity (lots of work at golftec this week, and a very frustrated coach)... BUT my 7i jumped from 150 yard carry to 168 yard carry. Did I mention that was a 3/4 punch shot?

It's amazing what lag does. I have started to take "3/4" punch shots to work on in-out swing path and lag. I only recently managed to get the feeling with any regularity (lots of work at golftec this week, and a very frustrated coach)... BUT my 7i jumped from 150 yard carry to 168 yard carry. Did I mention that was a 3/4 punch shot?

I think the the "3/4" punch shot is one of the best ways to work on consistent pure contact. I laugh at myself when I'm at the range and am hitting 3/4 shots further than my full shots. eeek

It won't be a one off thing for you, just keep doing what your doing!

That's a good mantra. :)

I too am surprised at how much more solid that "3/4" shot is. It's actually a full swing, but doesn't feel like one. I don't know about you Rx but I also feel like I have more control and my swing isn't breaking down at the top as I'm not going too far back.

That's a good mantra. :)

I too am surprised at how much more solid that "3/4" shot is. It's actually a full swing, but doesn't feel like one. I don't know about you Rx but I also feel like I have more control and my swing isn't breaking down at the top as I'm not going too far back.

Its SUCH a valid point. It IS a full swing, I to this day still struggle with the "oh I need to really pull back and nut this one" syndrome instead of staying within myself, lag is a beautiful thing.

Its SUCH a valid point. It IS a full swing, I to this day still struggle with the "oh I need to really pull back and nut this one" syndrome instead of staying within myself, lag is a beautiful thing.
That's the hard part...keeping it at 3/4...and allow that lag to do it's thing.

I have been told a bunch of times that what I think is a 3/4 swing is technically a full swing and what I think is a 1/2 swing is my 3/4 swing. I never was very good at fractions though :D

I have been told a bunch of times that what I think is a 3/4 swing is technically a full swing and what I think is a 1/2 swing is my 3/4 swing. I never was very good at fractions though :D
Remember Doc, 5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions.

i just figured it out too... I think. Straight left arm and a shortened back swing and patience works wonders for the golf swing. A little extra distance is not a bad thing either.

i just figured it out too... I think. Straight left arm and a shortened back swing and patience works wonders for the golf swing. A little extra distance is not a bad thing either.
Let's see if we can bring it to the course. :)

Exactly what I do. I have been blessed that I have wonderful left arm position (its all my other flaws that get me!)... My coach actually has me set my hands well forward of the ball at address and then my goal becomes to get my hands back to that position before impact. The combination of 3/4 swing and forward hand at address helps me feel that lag.

I had a five minute lesson today on the range (my friend/pro who's 13 year old daughter is a true golfing phenom). He had me shorten my back swing and really accelerate at impact. I'd been taking a long back swing and almost decelerating at impact.

BIG difference. I could feel the lag hold and release without any effort on my part. The ball went higher, farther, and straighter out into the snow covered range. This was with all of my clubs...lob wedge through driver.

When I tried to "help" the swing I released the club early. When I let it happen, without any "interference" on my part, I hit the ball flush. A huge difference.

The difficult part is shortening the back swing. When I do it I am really popping the ball. I could feel the lag/release and the club really zing through the impact area.

You know, I was fine till I read that last part lol. Dont look now but here comes another club change.

Ive been working on trying to get some lag too. sure is hard to not help the swing huh?

Yea my instructor had me shorten the hell out of my backswing - it feels like im making a half or even 3/4 swing - pointing club towards ceiling almost - before i was past parallel lol. def more control - i have the image of trying to smash the ball into the ground with the club to help me compress it - sure feels sweet when you hit it flush doesnt it?

also told me to try and stay connected- the "V" the arms form at address should stay in the same relative position with the chest. I had my arms outracing my body alot. hard to repeat a swing with that.

+1 on that, the hard part is keeping that mindset. I know I struggle with the same thing. Always hit it better with a shorter swing, I just can't seem to maintain that thought process. :(

Yea my instructor had me shorten the hell out of my backswing - it feels like im making a half or even 3/4 swing - pointing club towards ceiling almost - before i was past parallel lol. def more control - i have the image of trying to smash the ball into the ground with the club to help me compress it - sure feels sweet when you hit it flush doesnt it?

also told me to try and stay connected- the "V" the arms form at address should stay in the same relative position with the chest. I had my arms outracing my body alot. hard to repeat a swing with that.
Sounds like exactly what I'm doing now. And it sure does feel sweet when you flush it...really solid.

Nice signature by the way. Also, please stay away from highway meth labs. :)

Congrats Sean! One of the very first things my coach had me start doing when I started lessons was shorten my backswing. He put me on videotape and told me to take a full swing. I was wrapping it around me so far that I was making a mess of things. The way he had me shorten my full swing was to tell me to take 3/4 swings. He said what I think is my 3/4 swing is actually a full swing. I often feel like I am taking a 1/2 swing when I hit my best shots but I'm sure I am going at least 3/4 back. I would say this is one of the main things that changed my game for the better.

Congrats Sean! One of the very first things my coach had me start doing when I started lessons was shorten my backswing. He put me on videotape and told me to take a full swing. I was wrapping it around me so far that I was making a mess of things. The way he had me shorten my full swing was to tell me to take 3/4 swings. He said what I think is my 3/4 swing is actually a full swing. I often feel like I am taking a 1/2 swing when I hit my best shots but I'm sure I am going at least 3/4 back. I would say this is one of the main things that changed my game for the better.
Thanks Kelly! Exactly. My full swing was so far back it was actually breaking down. As you said the 3/4 swing is actually a full swing...though it doesn't feel like one. When I do it right the shorter swing gives me more control, more solid contact, and a straighter and higher ball flight. I just need to get comfortable with it...even though it seems like a no brainer. lol

Back