JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I played a round last week and apart from a few chunks and worm burners, I was pleased with my mid and short irons. My driver was a different story. I was playing a draw most of the day, but that turned unpredictable on the back 9. I even hit a short iron on a par 4 because it was so uncontrollable. I am considering pulling it out of the bag in favor of a wedge, since it only goes 220 on a good day. Good or bad idea?

Thanks

I used to play with a screaming hook. Until I got it under control my friend convinced me I was better off just using my three wood. I hit the 3w higher,farther and more accurate, and the only reason I hit driver is because you are supposed to hit driver off the tee. Shouldn't be a permanent fix though, you want to take advantage of what the driver can do for you.

The driver, if not used well, can get you into alot of trouble. Mine was in timeout for a while so I could figure things out, in the meantime I relied on my 3 wood off the tee, which, while about 25 yards shorter, still kept me in play.

Sometimes it needs to be left out of the bag until the issues are worked out of it. For me, the temptation to keep hitting it would be to great if I had it with me.

Yeah i really should be considering taking mine out of the bag for a while. Especially seeing that the last round i played i either topped it into the ground 2' inforont of my tee OR hit a "Power Fade" OB or into the next fair way. Time to check the ego and put away the big stick.

Like the others said, put the driver in time-out for a while and hit a fairway wood or even a hybrid

I have really been considering backing into the use of my driver. By that I mean, as a casual golfer I am just too likely to pull the driver out the bag for no other reason than I want to. I am thinking that I might try to use it based on where I am going to be left out on the fairways. While I can hit the 5 iron and even the 4 iron on occasion, I am really comfortable with my 6 iron. I am thinking that in any case where hitting the 3W will leave me with a 6 iron or less into the green, I am going to hit 3W off the tee. That won’t leave me giving up on the driver but I think it will leave me using the driver in a more sensible manner.

clears throat...whispers...Diablo Edge....

This is the ASK THE PRO section of the forum. Please keep this area clean until the THP Resident Pro has had a chance to respond.

I wish that for most golfers I meet I could grab the driver out of the bag and stamp a 1 on their 3 wood. Sometimes the extra couple of degrees of loft makes all the difference. Next time the driver goes south hit the next longest club in the bag and see how things go for you.

I wish that for most golfers I meet I could grab the driver out of the bag and stamp a 1 on their 3 wood. Sometimes the extra couple of degrees of loft makes all the difference. Next time the driver goes south hit the next longest club in the bag and see how things go for you.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think a higher lofted driver, in the 11 degree range, would help?

I want guys playing the highest lofted driver that they can that still hit with proper launch angles. Before I would recommend a loft I would need some launch moniter data from you. If this is posible get me your club speed, ball speed, launch angle, backspin rate, and side spin rate.

I want guys playing the highest lofted driver that they can that still hit with proper launch angles. Before I would recommend a loft I would need some launch moniter data from you. If this is posible get me your club speed, ball speed, launch angle, backspin rate, and side spin rate.

This is impossible. I think the closest store is 40 miles away and my local range is just a field in a park with yardage markers. No real ammenities like that.

Do you feel like the ball is coming off too low at this stage of the game? What makes you think you need more loft?

yeah, it comes off too low. I have a 10.5 That is better, but the shaft sucks and i leave everything right with it. I am not getting good carry distance either.

Sounds to me like you need a fitting. That also sounds like it might be tough for you to do at this stage. It is time to experiment with some clubs and see what you can find that works.

Thanks for the advice! When I go shopping for irons I will check some out

Back