Unsolicited Advice?

derelict

In the trees
Reaction score
Handicap
short game
So you may have read in the other thread that we just bought my girlfriend a new driver. We went to Golfsmith and hit the demos first. So she tees up, and then hits it off the heel. Another.. Another... all of the heel. I'm thinking, this is so un-characteristic.. she usually hits them very consistently. So I am watching her more closely and her swing looks completely different than what I remember. So she tells me she was at the range, and this guy was giving her some advice... Turns out this completely messed up her swing. So we spend about 30 minutes undoing what he did.

So she tells me that when she goes to the range, almost every time there is a guy that will come up to her and try to give her some tips... or offer to teach her. I mean, I can understand this, sure... cute girl at the range by herself, why not try and talk to her?

But I just wondered if you ladies had similar experiences. I am not sure what makes guys think they can actually teach someone else. I personally never have the urge to give unsolicited advice. The only reason why I teach my girlfriend is because she asks me and she is a good learner :act-up:

unfortunately for women, this is very common

I have a co-worker who tells me she's constantly getting "swing tips", there's always some guy willing to give free tips

my girl's just starting to pick up the game and I've warned her that this is likely to happen. How she handles it is up to her.

men to tend to make things tough on women by giving such unsolicited advice, which is a shame

Yup my girlfriend used the get that all the time as well...sorta the same as single girls in the gym, suddenly everyone is a work-out expert.

Yes! It's not just on the driving range but also during a round of golf. It's not just about being a young cute girl because it happens to us older women too. It is definitely annoying to me. One guy used to tell me the line of my putts almost every time until I finally spoke up. I guess there is just something about men that makes them want to help out a woman. I do solicit advice from time to time and appreciate it very much! Note to men: Don't give a woman lessons/tips unless she asks for them!!!!!

I get this all the time, a lot less recently because I can actually hit the ball now :) But when I do go to the range by myself, I'll use my ipod so it looks like I'm preoccupied hee hee...

Yep same thing is happening with my girl. She just started playing last month and she hits the ball remarkably well. So naturally all the men at our course have 100 things for her to try and work on. I tell her to ignore most of it as when you are starting the most important thing is a good grip, good posture, lining up correctly and swing the club and let the ball get in the way.

the girls i play golf with can beat over half of the men i play golf with and its a riot when a guy with a horrendous swing tries to give them tips...
we were warming up before a round and some guy starts in on one of the girls... she stops hitting and tells him to show her what he means... he hits a few "meh" shots... and she steps up and hits some amazing shots "you mean more like that i think"... he just walked away with all of us giggling/smirking

you should tell her to say "my fiance is a golf instructor and former ufc fighter... he gets really angry when i get swing tips from hacks"

Thanks for the responses people :act-up:. I just find it so funny that most guys actually think they can give advice. I don't mind guys talking to my girl at all... in fact, I tell her that I EXPECT guys to try and talk to her, I mean, who wouldn't ? :smile-big: But I told her to just politely to tell the guys, thanks for the advice, but I only take advice from my current teacher...

Every single time I'm at the range at least twice because I typically work for two hours or more, meaning the guys who come in to whack the ball shuffle out faster than me. Some well intending person who isn't a regular (i.e. regulars at the range KNOW I have a coach and KNOW I don't need their advice) will approach me and say "you should open your hips more" (hello? Woman. Hips a bit different than yours) or "you need to get your arms in a lower position" (hello...boobs?). It is the number one reason I started wearing headphones at the range.

I will have to try Bogey-Russ' playing partner's approach next time

I'm sorry, I was only trying to help. lol

Every single time I'm at the range at least twice because I typically work for two hours or more, meaning the guys who come in to whack the ball shuffle out faster than me. Some well intending person who isn't a regular (i.e. regulars at the range KNOW I have a coach and KNOW I don't need their advice) will approach me and say "you should open your hips more" (hello? Woman. Hips a bit different than yours) or "you need to get your arms in a lower position" (hello...boobs?). It is the number one reason I started wearing headphones at the range.

are you sure they were talking about golf? lol

are you sure they were talking about golf? lol

Well I was wearing my daisy dukes and that beer bong hat... Think that was the problem?!:angel:

Well I was wearing my daisy dukes and that beer bong hat... Think that was the problem?!:angel:

Can't see how that would affect guys wanting to talk to you. Hmmm lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As everyone has said this is unfortunately a major problem that we face every time we go to the range. I know most people mean no harm by it and are just trying to be nice but it get so annoying. I used to be nice and just say no thank you, then I got mean and told them to worry about their own game, then I was nice again and just kindly told them that I am working with an instructor and I was specifically told to not take advice from anyone. I also always wear my headphones, even if I don't have music on, in an effort to deter anyone trying to offer help. No matter what she does there will always be someone who tries to offer advice.

Hell with advice, can I get a drink??

no doubt I'm picturing Mary in her D-Dukes and bong hat hitting golf balls and OEM rolling up and asking for a drink! hey how you doin? how bout a drink lil lady!

Of course, I've also seen situations in which guys offer unwelcome/unappreciated advice to their girls. One of the last times I was at a driving range, the couple who was next to me was notable because the guy kept taking pictures of the girl in mid-swing, and then telling her what she was doing wrong. After a while, she stormed off to the gallery and said, "You play; I'm done here." That seemed pretty much like a relationship-killer to me. And if my husband ever offered me unsolicited advice, I'd kick him in the nuts. Sweetly, of course. :)

Of course, I've also seen situations in which guys offer unwelcome/unappreciated advice to their girls. One of the last times I was at a driving range, the couple who was next to me was notable because the guy kept taking pictures of the girl in mid-swing, and then telling her what she was doing wrong. After a while, she stormed off to the gallery and said, "You play; I'm done here." That seemed pretty much like a relationship-killer to me. And if my husband ever offered me unsolicited advice, I'd kick him in the nuts. Sweetly, of course. :)

LMAO!!! That is hilarious! Couples trying to help each other at sports can be a little scary at times. I will occasionally ask JB for advice but otherwise he knows not to offer it and he doesn't want to either. It's better for the marriage.

I used to get advice from my Uncle, who's the, "I know what you should be doing, but I can't do it myself" type. Needless to say I try not to play with him.

That seemed pretty much like a relationship-killer to me. And if my husband ever offered me unsolicited advice, I'd kick him in the nuts. Sweetly, of course. :)

yet another reason i leave women alone on the course... that and they are waving around metal sticks

Back