JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the weekend, I had a chance to play with some forum members and while none of us were playing all that well, there were some memorable moments that left us talking about cool pars. Have you ever had that interesting par that left you wondering how in the heck it happened?

Here are two for me this weekend.

Hole 12 is a par 4 that is about 385 yards. I hit the drive well but it was a slight pull to directly behind a tree. Hit a rope hook me haysoos (for those that do not know, its a pretty cool shot that hooks about 70 yards) to pin high off the green on the left. Pitch was left short, but drained the 25 foot par putt.

Hole 15 was even more interesting. Par 5 485 yards that is all water to carry on the 2nd/3rd shot. I literally topped my drive about 10 yards. Hit a terrible sliced 7 iron to leave me on the bank of the water about 210 yards out. Laying up was the smart play, but I hit a Mashie to 20 feet and had a nice 2 putt par.

What types of interesting pars do you remember?

My last round 525 yard par 5, I bomb a drive down the middle there is then a forced carry for your second to get close to the green or you can lay up to the left for an easy par, I wanted to hit the mashie so I did and just carried the water, pulled it a bit and ended up behind a tree. I then chip out to get close to the green, and then flub a chip and am still not on. I'm mad at my wedges now so I pull my 7 iron and hit it like a putt, right in the jar for par. Just how I planned it.

Hole 7 at my home course is a par 4 about 370. The green slopes severly back to front, to where if you're putting downhill, you almost have to start it uphill. I hit a 7 iron to just left of hit, but lodged it in some thick grass that was on another side hill, that has a severe angle with the flat ground. I took my 56* and hit a flop shot out (still am not sure how I did that) and up toward the top of the green. The pin was in the front middle, and the ball trickled down to just off the green. I made the 10 footer for par, and my friend who was playing with me just shook his head.....

Over the weekend, I had a chance to play with some forum members and while none of us were playing all that well, there were some memorable moments that left us talking about cool pars. Have you ever had that interesting par that left you wondering how in the heck it happened?

Here are two for me this weekend.

Hole 12 is a par 4 that is about 385 yards. I hit the drive well but it was a slight pull to directly behind a tree. Hit a rope hook me haysoos (for those that do not know, its a pretty cool shot that hooks about 70 yards) to pin high off the green on the left. Pitch was left short, but drained the 25 foot par putt.

Hole 15 was even more interesting. Par 5 485 yards that is all water to carry on the 2nd/3rd shot. I literally topped my drive about 10 yards. Hit a terrible sliced 7 iron to leave me on the bank of the water about 210 yards out. Laying up was the smart play, but I hit a Mashie to 20 feet and had a nice 2 putt par.

What types of interesting pars do you remember?

ummm, you were a freaken inch from the water no less! This is probably the most incredible par I have ever seen. This guy is never out of a hole and I see why he doesnt really put up high numbers

I managed to get a par as well, but I did it the easy way...well, minus the slice/push to the right but 4 feet birdie put.

This one course right by my house long walk to the next tee from the green. We leave our bags down by the fairway and walk back with our drivers. Short par 4, about 310.

Well, I topped my driver into the rough 40 yds out, halfway to the bags. Because I didnt feel like going all the way down to switch clubs, I hit driver, out of the rough to the greenside rough between the green and bunker.

At this point my buddy had a 6 foot par putt, and made a wager for me to get up and down with my driver. Sure enough, I driver'd it out to 6 ft and made the putt with my driver. He made bogey.

This is mine. Best shot I've ever made. No putting required!

This past weekend on a Par 5.

I hit a good drive to the right side of the fairway leaving 190 to the green. I went for it and caught a tree in an outcropping head on kicking the ball back 15-20 ft. My next shot was a 56* wedge that clipped the same tree and ended up 5 ft off the front of the green. Putted to gimmie range, par.

Hit the same tree twice and still pared the hole!

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

Sliced a 7 iron on a 167 yd par 3 a few weeks ago. (Deep gully hazard is right of green) Hit the top of a tree and kicked onto the green. 2 putt for par.

Played Falcon's Fire a few weeks ago from the tips. Topped my drive on the 10th hole par 5. It probably went 15 yds. Next shots were 3 wood, 3 wood, SW and 1 putt for par.

Par 5 on Sunday, I think it was 11. Pushed drive to the fence line, hit a Mashie fat and directly into a pine tree in front of me, had 180 to the stick, ripped a 6 iron from under the trees that hit the flag stick and left me with a 20 foot birdie putt.

For me it was a short 345 yd. par 4. I topped the shot with a driver but it still rolled maybe a hundred yards. I then hit a perfect 3 wood to the front of the green, chipped to 5 feet and made the par putt. It was in my mens league, and I needed par to tie on the hole.

Long Par 4 #2 at Deer Run dogleg right. Hit 3W past fairway and ball settles behind a tree where I have to hit a hook hybrid. Bunker on the front right that comes in play from my angle. Hit hybrid into bunker. Wouldn't you know it front pin placement so no room to blast SW out of bunker. Pick up 58 and chunk sand to 2nd cut way short (happy that I was out of the beach though). Luckily I had my 54 SW on me so chip in for par.

Putting is so overrated.

Yesterday:
Par 5, 497 yards

I pull hook my drive and I think it's going to be lost or in an Environmentally Sensitive Area (ESA) full of trees and thorny vines. I find my ball on the edge of the ESA and am able to punch a 6-iron out to the FW and I'm 240 from the green. I hit my 2H and push it right into some trees leaving me about 40 yards from the pin, which is cut about 3 steps from the front edge with a hump before the green. I try to run an 8-iron over the hump and don't quite make it and the ball rolls back down, leaving me about 25 feet from the pin, 15 of that is FW, over the hump. I hit my putt too hard and it slams the pin and drops in. I had to count my shots 3x before I believed it was a par.

There is usually always a point in the round where someone skulls one about 20ft off the tee and you can't help but think 'that's got par written all over it'

I often enjoy a par like that more than a birdie!

310 Par 4 at Willows Run. Water in front, obviously I went for it with Driver off the tee. Ball landed around 285 just on the green side of the water and trickled back into the water. About 5 yards away from being a near perfect drive and possible eagle. Instead, I drop on the other side of the water about 75 yards back needing to get up and down for par. Pull out my 54 degree wedge, (still pissed), take a quick practice swing and fire away. The ball lands about 10 feet behind the cup and my Penta spins back and nearly goes in. Tap in par. The reason I remember this hole so well was the range of emotion. All of golf wrapped into 1 hole. The joy of hitting what I thought was a great drive, then the dissapointment of watching the ball trickle into the lake. Being mad on the walk to where I dropped, then the elation as I almost make a water birdie from 75 yards. Then ultimately, the satisfaction of a water par. This is why I keep coming back to this crazy game. :)

On the Palmer. Hit a great drive, but it ended up in a pot bunker in the middle of the fairway. Flopped out of the bunker. Hit one of the longest eight irons of my life over the green into light rough. Chipped in and fist pumped my way around the green haha.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

I hit an awful drive on a downhill par 4, it sliced and then hit the car path and rolled all the way down the cart path about 100+yds. The ball ended up about 50 yds from the green on the edge of the cart path. I chipped on and two putt for par.

Par 5 on Sunday, I think it was 11. Pushed drive to the fence line, hit a Mashie fat and directly into a pine tree in front of me, had 180 to the stick, ripped a 6 iron from under the trees that hit the flag stick and left me with a 20 foot birdie putt.

dude, that was awesome!!!

I think I've had like 10 pars in my entire life... that makes them all interesting!

Great idea for a thread, since I'm sure we've all seen our fair share of interesting pars. I have a couple stories:

Last summer in my weeknight league, I was having an absolutely awful round. I let my emotions get the best of me, and I was just chopping all over the place. So, for the last hole, I take a deep breath and just try to enjoy it. 333 yard par 4, uphill tee shot. I hit a decent drive that left me with PW to the green. Of course, I got excited and duffed that shot 20 yards into the fairway. I thought "ok, at least I'm in the fairway." Gap Wedge directly into the green-side bunker, rats there goes par.. Staying positive, I told myself: "well, at least you're pretty solid in the sand." It's a pretty deep bunker, my shoulders were probably about the level of the green. I sized it up, took a swing and wouldn't you know, it popped out nicely and rolled right in for par. That completely made my day.

2nd story was a couple months ago and it was actually an interesting birdie! On a 503 yard par 5, I hook my drive left ACROSS the neighboring fairway. Humbled, I grab my 3-wood and get waved across the fairway from the guys on that tee box. Without many trees, I have a window back to my fairway, but I'll need to hook it again to prevent further trouble. I wind up and hit this huge high draw / hook and the ball rolls nicely down the middle of the fairway, leaving about 140 yds left. 8-iron to 12 feet and I make the damn downhill putt for birdie. I was jumping up and down like an idiot. Just goes to show you, never give up on a hole!

Ok, I'm done with my long-winded stories!

It was a 190 yard (according to the sign) par 3 that actually played 171 according to GPS. Needless to say I was confused. Rather than take the safe route and hit a short Mashie, I went 6i. Banking on my GPS. Well I hit it fat. Haha. So I ended up in the bunker right in the front corner of the green.

My sand shot was great. If I needed a short one that stopped. It went a couple yards but caught the downslope and I had about a 30-40 footer for par. Fun stuff.

My favorite in recent memory was during a play lesson. I hit a poor tee shot on a par 3 and the ball trickled down a hill into the water. I took a drop on the right side of the water and pitched it over the water onto the green and it rolled right into the cup. Of course, my coach took the credit for teaching me that pitch shot. :D

Most recent Par 5 uphill, I think the card says 400, yeah, super short. Sliced drive to the right, 5 feet from someone's back yard. Still in play and decent lie. Snap hooked 2nd short and left. Thought for sure it was gone. Get over there and I find it straight away, but it's laying on some prairie type grass that's been laying down, so it's an iffy lie. Pull out the 54 to hit it onto the green and then just 2 putt for par. But, instead, life had other plans and the pitch comes up 20 feet short of the green, in thick nasty lie. Still with 54, chip it out just hoping to make it stop on the green. It burned the edge of the cup for birdie, and left me 2 feet for par. Most interesting hole of the day yesterday.

im just glad im not the only one that tops drives! that is relieving!!

my first day out this year was last thursday - terrible conditions - greens were slow as hell being soaked all winter and still not drained. Par 5 6th. Hit a decent drive about 235 straight(no roll in the wet FW). uphill approach on the par 5 - left with 205 to center green. i pulled a 4 iron since i was getting no bounce or roll. Hooked it hard into a tree left about 150 yds up. Hit a low chip with the 5 iron to advance it out of trouble. Ends up left of the green. Now i have maybe 25 yrds to the pin - its blind since the greens protected with a hill - rolling away from me - and over a greenside bunker. I pull a 60 wedge - h0oping to hit it high and with the super wet greens itll just hit and die. I clear the bunker and hill and i have no idea where it ends up. I grab the putter and walk up - its about 15 feet away and sitting in a pitch mark. lol. I read the putt - and say dont leave it short (my mantra this year) and hit it firm and hard - its rolling dead straight and fast - hits the hole and falls. if it would have missed the hole - i probably would have ended up off the green. It was really impossible to ptut though - the greens were so slow you had to kill it.

10th at our club is a 380 yard downhill dogleg left par 4. There's a pond through the fairway at the far corner on the right. At the corner near the pond edge are two big willow trees with the trunks about fifteen feet apart. The trees mesh together above that. Where they sit, the pond runs perpendicular to the fairway, then runs along the fairway past the left willow up to the green. The left side of the fairway is all trees and a lot of guys hit 3W as the willows and pond are about 250-260. I'm a lefty and generally hit driver right at the willows and carve a fade into the middle. Playing with my wife last summer I hit a drive pretty solid that didn't cut, and ended up right between the trunks of the willows leaving the pond in front of me with tree branches hanging down over the water about 8 feet high. I had about 130 to the middle of the green with pond about 110 of that. I had no shot up because of the willow branches. I told my wife, "Watch this".

I took out a 3H, put the ball back in my stance, hooded the club face, then sort of chopped down on the ball with a slice swing. The ball shot out slightly slicing about 3 feet high going like a rocket, skipped three times on the pond, cleared the edge, and rolled up to the fringe. Chipped it up to about a foot and knocked it in for par.

My wife just shook her head.

Kevin

Back