British Open Championship [Spoilers]

Give Louis some credit, this is a spectacular performance. He's getting close to the record for lowest score to par in a major.
Also, there's a pretty good battle for second place now.

Jeez, people. If Tiger or Phil had played the way Louis has for the last 4 days, this board would be alight. Just because there's no US superstars up there, doesn't make it any less relevant. One player in double figures under par, doesn't make it a mockery of a tournament. The US players have to ask themselves why they can't compete this week.

Jeez, people. If Tiger or Phil had played the way Louis has for the last 4 days, this board would be alight. Just because there's no US superstars up there, doesn't make it any less relevant. One player in double figures under par, doesn't make it a mockery of a tournament. The US players have to ask themselves why they can't compete this week.
its just boring to watch someone run away with it. thats all, no disrespect to the course or tournament its just boring to watch a person with a 7,8, or 9 stroke lead. if it was phil or tiger with the 8 stroke lead, it would still be boring.

Sure it would. Everyone would like to see the last day be closer, apart from Louis of course!

I've watched a few 'new' major winners over the last couple of years, but this guy is the first of that kind who seems to be controlling it and dictating the pace at that level. Very impressive.

In other news, Westwood is having all sorts of fun down the left of 17, and Dustin Johnson put one into the crowd OOB to the right of 18.

its just boring to watch someone run away with it. thats all, no disrespect to the course or tournament its just boring to watch a person with a 7,8, or 9 stroke lead. if it was phil or tiger with the 8 stroke lead, it would still be boring.
I don't know, I think a lot more people would be interested in seeing the popular ones running away with it.
It's kind of rude to be saying things like "move away, nothing to see here" just because it's Louis.

Ousthuizen is playing amazing but this isn't like when Tiger won the US Open going away making amazing shots, course records, etc. This guy is robotic (which is what you aim for) and it just isn't fun to watch. He's doing what he needs to do to win and I don't blame him, he put up two amazing rounds in optimal conditions and has been grinding pars ever since. Once again he is playing it perfect, just not very entertaining.

I don't care what the nationality of a player is and I think most of the people here at this forum feel the same way, considering how informed most of us are. And the "boring" play doesn't make the tourny less relevant. I find watching Tiger or Phil run away with a tourny boring. I think most of us expected St. Andrews to put up a bit more of a defense than it has the past four days. Friday excepting, the one thing that makes St. Andrews a b*tch to play, the wind/rain hasn't made much of an apperence.

ON any course, at ANY tourny, ANY player from ANY country: fairway, green, in the hole on par = boring

JL- im pretty sure maryc meant no disrespect in saying that at all. obviously she would not say that to be disrespectful, i think its more of a move a long nothing to see because he has a 8 stroke lead and we know he is going to win it.

"It's kind of rude to be saying things like "move away, nothing to see here" just because it's Louis."

Ousthuizen is playing amazing but this isn't like when Tiger won the US Open going away making amazing shots, course records, etc. This guy is robotic (which is what you aim for) and it just isn't fun to watch. He's doing what he needs to do to win and I don't blame him, he put up two amazing rounds in optimal conditions and has been grinding pars ever since. Once again he is playing it perfect, just not very entertaining.

I've really no idea how you can call this guy robotic, especially when comparing him to Tiger playing in better conditions. The guy is playing such a wide range of shots in the conditions, moving it both ways. I think some people really don't grasp the range of shots needed just to get off the tee on this course sometimes.
Did you see his eagle on 9? What a drive and putt. Did you see him thread it between 2 bunkers about 10 feet apart from 300 yards on 12? No, he's not Tiger.

I don't know, I think a lot more people would be interested in seeing the popular ones running away with it.
It's kind of rude to be saying things like "move away, nothing to see here" just because it's Louis.

I should have clarified the ABC Execs would be saying "move away, nothing to see here". 98% of the casual golf fan isn't going to find watching this exciting and TV execs don't care about the 2% of us obsessed types.

While the play is boring, Louis has gorgeous swing and is doing exactly what he needs to do to win this: keep it in the fairway. Hit the shots. Put it in the hole and he's giving a clinic on how to do it. He deserves to win and I'm happy for him.

For a real golf fan, it is something to watch, which is why I have Tivo going to watch it later.

Sorry MaryC, totally misinterpreted your post.

I don't care what the nationality of a player is and I think most of the people here at this forum feel the same way, considering how informed most of us are. And the "boring" play doesn't make the tourny less relevant. I find watching Tiger or Phil run away with a tourny boring. I think most of us expected St. Andrews to put up a bit more of a defense than it has the past four days. Friday excepting, the one thing that makes St. Andrews a b*tch to play, the wind/rain hasn't made much of an apperence.

ON any course, at ANY tourny, ANY player from ANY country: fairway, green, in the hole on par = boring

Totally agree that the conditions could have made it more interesting. The guys got lucky, no doubt.

I didn't mean the original post directly at you though, sorry if it came over that way. I just hear a lot of so called golf fans out there shouting for their favourite, then dismissing the whole field if they bomb.

I think we've seen a few young players come through this week, showing they can play in these conditions. Oosthuizen, Ishikawa, Barnes and Fowler to name a few.

JL- im pretty sure maryc meant no disrespect in saying that at all. obviously she would not say that to be disrespectful, i think its more of a move a long nothing to see because he has a 8 stroke lead and we know he is going to win it.

"It's kind of rude to be saying things like "move away, nothing to see here" just because it's Louis."

I meant no disrespect to Louie at all. Excellent player with incredible swing, who has kept his cool.

And as for robotic, I don't know about that either. I've seen him emote and he may be like a few other older guys who get called robotic, easily distracted when he isn't super focused and that is a killer on the course.

Sorry MaryC, totally misinterpreted your post.

No problem! Hard to read into people's minds and I didn't write that post very well. Reminds me of my favorite New Yorker cartoon about the internet and email/forums: Dog is on a computer answering a personal ad and caption says "on the internet no one knows you aren't a dog".

i think the most shocking thing to me was Rory McIlroy going from a 63 to a 80 then next day. there was nothing he could do about it either, he got very unlucky and had to play in terrible conditions, i honestly think he would be right there battling for this thing if he had not got the terrible conditions but guess thats part of it.

I've really no idea how you can call this guy robotic, especially when comparing him to Tiger playing in better conditions. The guy is playing such a wide range of shots in the conditions, moving it both ways. I think some people really don't grasp the range of shots needed just to get off the tee on this course sometimes.
Did you see his eagle on 9? What a drive and putt. Did you see him thread it between 2 bunkers about 10 feet apart from 300 yards on 12? No, he's not Tiger.

Well I didn't intend to compare him to Tiger, but in re-reading my post it definately reads that way and for that I apologize. The guy is driving the ball superbly and it just makes it so easy the rest if the way. It's more jealousy I guess, this should be harder than he is making it look.

See that's what I love about this course. There's no doubt Rory didn't play as well as he did on Thursday, but putting a top pro out 2 days running, and the course is playing 17 shots harder? That's crazy!

I meant no disrespect to Louie at all. Excellent player with incredible swing, who has kept his cool.
ya i know you didnt thats just why i was telling JL what i thought you ment by it and werent trying to be disrespectful.

everything is good now, no worries lol

Well I didn't intend to compare him to Tiger, but in re-reading my post it definately reads that way and for that I apologize. The guy is driving the ball superbly and it just makes it so easy the rest if the way. It's more jealousy I guess, this should be harder than he is making it look.

I guess anyone winning a major will be compared to Tiger by someone, somewhere! :D He is playing beautifully, but I'm equally impressed by how he's handling himself round there. Still laughing and joking with Casey, and in a way I think Paul is helping him round.

SORRY IF THIS WAS ALREADY MENTIONED
Just got to work and wanted to mention how amazing the 12th hole was. Casey's chipped away at the lead down to 4.
Louis Oosthuizen gets up on the tight short 12 th hole and busts a driver straight down the fairway leaving himself 40- 50 yrds. With the lead he didn't need to do that. BUt he did to put the pressure back on casey . This forced casey to hit driver as well and he put it in the giant bushes to the left. Casey posts a 7 on that hole, Louis makes a birdie, 4 stroke swing, wrap it up, put a fork in it, this ones done. That's the kind of great tactical stuff I love. (Which is why I wish the PGA played more match play events) Man the Ryder cups are awesome....

Lots of guys having fun on the 17th. Kaymer hit his approach over the green, on to the road. Played it off the road and back over the green, just missing the Road Hole bunker. Almost put his next chip back over the green! They should make them play this hole 18 times a day.

Louis just walking to the 17th tee now.

Has anyone else noticed that Louis keeps flexing his neck and rubbing it? I thought he also seemed to grab his back a bit yesterday on a hole hitting it out of the long grass on 16 or 17.

Has anyone else noticed that Louis keeps flexing his neck and rubbing it? I thought he also seemed to grab his back a bit yesterday on a hole hitting it out of the long grass on 16 or 17.

Now you mention it, yeah. Could be a nervous habit. Would be the only sign of nerves so far, even though he's stopped smiling for the moment.

not a very exciting weekend. Oostie played great. Remember yesterday when he bogeyed number 1 and we all thought to ourselves "here he goes." This guy played great golf this week especially when you consider he has been in the lead since the 7th hole of the second round. Hats off to him, now lets get ready for the PGA Championship.

Back