Re-gripping clubs advice

DixeTinCup

Reaction score
Handicap
I just re-gripped all my irons yesterday. This was my first foray into re-gripping. Wow, was not as easy as the youtube videos (how to) I watched. Took me 4 hours. The most time consuming part was removing the old tape. I bought a tool from golfsmith to scrape off the tape but it still took a lot of work to get off. I prefer to do things myself instead of having someone else do. (greater satisfaction).
Does anyone have any good suggestions/advice for removing the old tape?

you could use a blow drier/heat gun on the tape to loosen it up a little. I also found using a cloth that has some nail polish remover on it worked pretty well for me. Goo be gone would also be another option.

I just re-gripped all my irons yesterday. This was my first foray into re-gripping. Wow, was not as easy as the youtube videos (how to) I watched. Took me 4 hours. The most time consuming part was removing the old tape. I bought a tool from golfsmith to scrape off the tape but it still took a lot of work to get off. I prefer to do things myself instead of having someone else do. (greater satisfaction).
Does anyone have any good suggestions/advice for removing the old tape?

Heat gun, I heat up the old tape and then just scrape it off like butter.

that tool from goldsmith is the worst. I use a heat gun and it comes of clean no scraping. Trick is to heat it up enough to loosen it but not enough that the adhesive melts back onto the shaft. I can see it release now I've done it so much.

I just used a knife and scraped it off. I did both my set and my wives set I'm about 2 hours.

There was one grip that was terrible and I used goo gone on it. Seemed to work.

Tappin to the oldies

I'll just peel it off dry. Last set went easy as they just had enough moisture left to peel off in a corkscrew motion. Otherwise wd40 is good for releasing glue, I also use a solvent I got for cleaning my skis before I wax them, best grip solvent I've found while being non-petro, organic. "Dakine speed base prep". Even with all that it is still a pita.

Don't have a heat gun, will a hair drier work just as well. BTW, what part of Jersey are you from?

Heat gun works, i prefer to use a utility knife to scrape the tape off, especially at work (only on irons) makes it look like im going above and beyond lol

Don't have a heat gun, will a hair drier work just as well. BTW, what part of Jersey are you from?

Don't believe a hair drier would get hot enough, or if it did you would have to hold it there for an awful long time. You can pick up a heat gun at home depot for $20-30. I'm from central NJ, South Brunswick/Princeton area, you?

Don't believe a hair drier would get hot enough, or if it did you would have to hold it there for an awful long time. You can pick up a heat gun at home depot for $20-30. I'm from central NJ, South Brunswick/Princeton area, you?

Thanks for the tip. I am going to pick one up for my next re-gripping. The past few irons have been a real pain to scrape the tape off.

I just replaced the grips on my Cleveland wedges and one of the three was taped differently. Had to break out the heat gun on that one....the other two had the nearly clear OEM tape that peeled off easily. It also depends how long the previous grips have been on. Some of the older tapes are real bear to get off the shaft! With a little practise you should be able to change grips pretty quickly.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will pick up a heat gun for my next re-gripping experience. JNRadio, I am from south Jersey, Cherry Hill area.

I just finished regripping my irons with the Pure Grip gun and a set of PG greens. Gonna go give 'em a go at the range in a few minutes.

45928534-fadc-3e65.jpg
45928534-faf2-05f0.jpg

45928534-fb03-cabb.jpg
45928534-fb16-f575.jpg

Nice work. Let us know how they work.

As others have said, heat gun or hair drier to remove the tape, and then acetone on a rag to remove any remaining residue.

I was just hitting some wedge shots out back and the club left my hands and the grip stayed any input would be helpful thank you

Baha, I cant help but to giggle, Im sorry.
I was just hitting some wedge shots out back and the club left my hands and the grip stayed any input would be helpful thank you

Did you just regrip your clubs? Did you let them dry for 6 hours(3 minimum)? What happened?

Baha, I cant help but to giggle, Im sorry.

Did you just regrip your clubs? Did you let them dry for 6 hours(3 minimum)? What happened?

No it's an older winn grip about 2yrs old club just went flying and grip sttyed in my hands i thought there was tape in there what holds the grip on there?

4ac609b1-37fe-8b8a.jpg

Excuse me sir. You want me to Regrip those?!?!?! Uhhh ok.

I don't know why people pay to put 140$ worth of grips on clubs like that. He wanted iomics, but settled for MC oranges. Doh!

From the iPhone.

might be too obvious, but the more often you regrip your clubs, the easier the old ones come off. I've also found that keeping my clubs in my trunk in the summer really kills the tape and makes it harder to pull off, even if done once a year.

4ac609b1-37fe-8b8a.jpg

Excuse me sir. You want me to Regrip those?!?!?! Uhhh ok.

I don't know why people pay to put 140$ worth of grips on clubs like that. He wanted iomics, but settled for MC oranges. Doh!

From the iPhone.

:banghead: Doh is right.

Like most have already said.Warm up tape with heat gun or hairdryer then scrape off

I just scrape it off with a knife, nothing to it really.

Funny thing happened today as I went in to a store to buy grip-tape. The guy said he´d be happy to re-grip my clubs, but unfortunately for me they didn´t sell grip-tape?! And they wonder why people buy equipment on the internet???

I have steel shafts so scrapping them off with a knife isn't to bad. I also use alcohol and a warm rag to get off the tougher sticky tape.

Back