Would Game Improvement Irons benefit me?

RyanGunster

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi, I am new to THP and feel that the advice on this site would be of a benefit to me.
I am an 18 handicapper, however my general play is good, i just have a tendency to blow up 2-4 times a round and ruin my card. I played my local course last week (par 70) and shot an 87, and that included a 9 and two 7's on the card.

I had my first lesson today as my main problem is I fight a slice and hitting my mid-long irons are becoming a nightmare as i am so unpredictable with them. I hit them a fair distance, good height, slight tail on them usually which i can tolerate, but if i miss its awful, and is the main reason for my disasters each round.
My lesson taught me a couple of valuable things, and despite the swing change feeling completely alien i know that i need to stick at it and it will come together.
I was wondering though if it is worth me looking at a decent set of GI irons. I currently play Wilson Deep Red II cheapos and they are okay, and I will be investing in a decent set of irons when my handicap comes down some.
I just dont know whether its worth me grabbing a new set just now or to stick at the lessons before changing clubs?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
YES, look at hybrids as well.

Thanks, I was looking at PINGs, the Callaway X-20s and i had heard the Adams Hybrid Irons are extremely forgiving!

I would go with Yes! GI irons can help all of us. Unless you are at the point in your game where you are shaping shots i cant see a reason to not go GI. We can all use the added forgiveness.

My price range is roughly £200. A Couple of friends have told me a great place to start for a decent, proven set of GI irons would be the PING G5 set. Probably will leave me with some cash leftover to put towards another couple of lessons as well. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Thanks, I was looking at PINGs, the Callaway X-20s and i had heard the Adams Hybrid Irons are extremely forgiving!

I would go with Yes! GI irons can help all of us. Unless you are at the point in your game where you are shaping shots i cant see a reason to not go GI. We can all use the added forgiveness.

I've been playing x-18's for years. Even at a 9 handicap, the benefit of being able to shape a few shots a round is not worth the risk of a less forgiving iron on mis-hits.

I can still draw the x-18's, but it is pretty tough.

They are a cracking looking club to, my Grandad had them a few years back and he swore by them. Ill need to see if i can get my hands on a pair to try them out before making a payment for them!

Lessons are great. GI irons are good and I'm sure they would help, but it is best to have a sound swing first, and then worry about clubs. GI clubs can only mask swing flaws to a point. The human still has to swing them.

Yes man, go with them. I had to give up on my Srixon 545's even though i didn't want to but I just needed that extra forgiveness and got that with the Taylormade RSi's. Say nothing wrong having clubs that work for you and keeps the ball into play.

I'm going to go against the crowd and say a used set of forged cavity backs will benefit you the most. I started playing with Mizuno Comp E-Z's which I bought on the bay for a really low price. I understood exactly where I made contact with every ball which I believe has helped me immensely.

By some of the comments you might think you can't shape shots with GI irons. I shape my shots when needed just fine and I almost always game GI or even SGI clubs.

I'd say continue on lessons and when your game turns the corner and u feel your getting better get fit for irons.

I bit the bullet and went to a local golf shop. Tried out a few irons, ended up going for the Callaway X-20s. Took them to the range as soon as i got back before work and tried them out with the changes im introducing from my lesson. Difference is incredible. When i catch them right theyre straight as a dye, long, good height and land softly. Even on my mishits there was a slight fade but not what i would call a slice. Thanks to everyone for their advice, now time to crack on with lessons, practice and getting these new irons broke in on the course! Cheers

Hi. It took me two years before I could say that I "owned"my new swing. I suggest you give it time. As for the game improvement clubs, try them out head to head with your existing set. That's the best way to find out if you're headed in the right direction. Try not only game improvement,but maybe even semi blades. No one can tell you your direction unless you try them out. That said, it's tough to try out clubs if you're still adjusting to a new swing.

Back