What is with teaching pros these day?

F.N.G

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
So I am newer ( a few years in) to the game of golf. My parents were big into it when I was a kid ( mom teaching pro, dad course manager) but I went to other sports when I was younger. Well now getting back into it and 3 tines this year I have noticed a trend here ( colorado springs). A teaching pro that you see in the pro shop working on trying to get lessons booked and such. Then the weekend or a day off he is loaded ( drunk or drinking enough to get there quick) acting like a total ass. Today it was making fun of people's swing loudly. "Look at him sit down, he looks like he is trying to **** on you" he said to his buddy that was playing next to the guy. This has happened at 3 different public courses. Is this the standard now a days? Is this a classic sign of those that can't do teach and they are mad about it? I have been pretty shocked with the lack of professionalism I have seen with these guys. Is this industry wide, or just my local area getting all the winners?

I think there are quite a few questions I have that this leaves unanswered, but like anything else, there are people that are good at what they do and love to do it, and bad people that hate what they do. Or it could be as simple as a person having a bad day. It's not fair to put this broad blanket statement across to all people of the profession, I'd just simply pick someone that is a pleasure to work with and wants to work with me.

Bitter, angry, sad, rude and mean people are everywhere... The golf industry is not immune.

Certainly not a PGA Teaching Pro I would guess. Low life's are everywhere, including the golf course.

Definitely not even close to any of the teaching pros around me and highly doubt this is is an industry wide things. All do the teaching pros I have come across at various courses demonstrate lots of professionalism.

So I am newer ( a few years in) to the game of golf. My parents were big into it when I was a kid ( mom teaching pro, dad course manager) but I went to other sports when I was younger. Well now getting back into it and 3 tines this year I have noticed a trend here ( colorado springs). A teaching pro that you see in the pro shop working on trying to get lessons booked and such. Then the weekend or a day off he is loaded ( drunk or drinking enough to get there quick) acting like a total ass. Today it was making fun of people's swing loudly. "Look at him sit down, he looks like he is trying to **** on you" he said to his buddy that was playing next to the guy. This has happened at 3 different public courses. Is this the standard now a days? Is this a classic sign of those that can't do teach and they are mad about it? I have been pretty shocked with the lack of professionalism I have seen with these guys. Is this industry wide, or just my local area getting all the winners?

Certainly not the standard...the few PGA Class A teaching pro's I know are super nice guys. Sure they can be a bit acerbic behind the scenes, but i've never seen them to be anything but courteous, professional, and patient with their students face-to-face.

It's like any job, if they are bitter and hate it that much than get the heck out. I have ran into a lot of great golf pros and many bitter a@@ holes

So want to tell the bitter a@@ holes find a new job. Heck maybe I will be doing a great service telling them in the pro shop or ranges

Ummm...I have seen teaching pros on their day off have a few. Maybe even drunk. Never at the home course and never while working. And never rude.

Sounds like a rude person who gets liquored up and gets ruder.

After my lesson I watched my instructor working with 8 young kids, started them with throwing Frisbees. Not sure how that goes with golf but it appears to me he likes to make sure the kids are having fun while also learning a game that can be very frustrating. I've walked by the instruction area numerous times and never once saw or heard anything inappropriate.

I taught hard and played hard. Never at the club but what I did on my own time, was my business. If I drank at the club it was with members and only to socialize. I hit balls away from the members and never poked fun at peeps.

I've run into pros who aren't the best teachers, but I've never run into a professional who does what was described in the original post. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I know just about every PGA member within 50 miles of me and I have only ever seen one of them drink at their home course and that was at a social gathering.

It's like a story a guy I played with told me. Three teaching pros from three different courses were involved. Two of them spent their time at one anothers clubs drinking coffee all day and commiserating over how bad business was and how no one wanted to pay for lessons.

The third guy was booked solid and busy all they time. They met at a local event and of course the first two wanted the third to join in their misery. When they said how bad things were the third said "Why don't you go out and offer that lady on the range a free lesson."

Neither of them could see that the free lesson may make her play better and her husband would inevitably show up for lessons. Nor could they see the value in appearing busy. Just like the guy in the OP's post they will scrape along and never be able to figure out why no one wants lessons from them when the real reason is them.

A teaching pro publicly making fun of someone's swing sounds like a really poor business person.

'Can I prepay and sign up for lessons with the guy that's going to get drunk and make fun of my swing behind my back?'

Back