Do you self-diagnose and self-correct on the course?

interlooper

Wishing I was golfing now
Reaction score
Handicap
So it seems lately that a common theme in some of Tiger's recent interviews is that, with his new swing, he is regaining his ability to self-diagnose and self-correct his swing while in the middle of a competitive round.

While I believe that I can self-correct, I think my ability to do so is often limited to 3 distinct issues that often creep up into my setup and swing. Indeed, often when I attempt to self-correct a fault on the course that is not one of those 3 issues, disaster soon follows.

I believe there is a fine line between self-correcting on the course and playing the shot and swing you have for that day. Question: Do you self-diagnose and self-correct when playing an actual round?

For sure, but it's normally limited to my set up. I can screw myself up with too much thinking though.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

I'm like you looper, I can self diagnose/correct a couple of the issues that seem to crop up the most.

I do but I try to keep it very simple. Setup, 1 swing thought, etc...

I self diagnose and correct almost everything except for my Sh***s. I can easily fix most things and can get dialed back in a little bit later. Problems that last for more than a week or major problems though I leave up to my instructor.

I can generally self correct my problems on the course just from previous lessons that I have taken. So when I run into a problem on the course I just take the time between shots to kind of replay that lesson in my head which the majority of the time will get me back into the groove. There are those rare occasions when I just cannot feel or figure out what Im doing wrong and after those rounds I go straight to the clubhouse to schedule a lesson since the longer I wait the more likely it is that the problem can become ingrained in my swing.

I can self correct when I get disconnected or tired and can fix face angle issues by weakening or strengthening the grip. Other than that I just play what I bring.

I don't know much but if I am struggling I hit a few with my feet together. This usually helps me.

I'm always working on identifying what my tendencies are and trying to find ways to quick-fix them when they arise. I like to think I get better and better, but it's the type of work that never gets finished/perfect.

Often in the past I'd make a completely flawed diagnosis because my knowledge of swing theory and my own swing was lacking.

Fortunately there are not many things that I have not done wrong with a golf club in my hands and I catalog everything. So I will make an effort to self correct if some screaming meanie has worked its way into my swing during a round.

yes i do... but by then ive already played 9 holes when ive figured everything out hahah

Like a lot of others it's mostly set up with me. I like to play out bit of an open stance so I tinker there. I also mess with where my hands are address.

Kevin

For sure, but it's normally limited to my set up. I can screw myself up with too much thinking though.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

That's about how it is for me too. Although if it's really going bad I am more apt to try something different and really make it worse!

I dont diagnose on the course because it fills my head through of way too many swing thoughts and just makes it worse. My mind is focused on the shot that I need to hit, not on swing mechanics.
I show up with whatever swing I have that day and give it my best shot.

I think about keeping my wrists hinged if I hit it fat, but sometimes it makes me hit it worse.

Lately, I've been able to sort of figure out whether I'm coming over the top or if my arms are disconnected. My instructor has been drilling me on "feel" and that's probably why he doesn't video my swing as much as he used to. He wants me to be able to "feel" what I'm doing wrong instead of seeing on a video what I'm doing wrong.

I dont diagnose on the course because it fills my head through of way too many swing thoughts and just makes it worse. My mind is focused on the shot that I need to hit, not on swing mechanics.
I show up with whatever swing I have that day and give it my best shot.

I agree. I don't diagnose on the course. I just think about the shot I need to hit and not mechanics. If it is a persistent problem, I seek help for our PGA professional. I never compare myself to Tiger in any way. He and Jack are one in millions of players. Golf is day to day, even for the best world class players, and some days they have it and some days they don't. We are no different. If they need teachers, we need them even worse.
Tiger is one in millions that more than likely knows what went wrong with every bad swing he makes and none of us are Tiger.

I do. It's a big problem of mine though. I am constantly thinking over the ball. I hate it.

From the iPhone.

I agree. I don't diagnose on the course. I just think about the shot I need to hit and not mechanics. If it is a persistent problem, I seek help for our PGA professional. I never compare myself to Tiger in any way. He and Jack are one in millions of players. Golf is day to day, even for the best world class players, and some days they have it and some days they don't. We are no different. If they need teachers, we need them even worse.
Tiger is one in millions that more than likely knows what went wrong with every bad swing he makes and none of us are Tiger.

Tiger might be diagnosing but he must not try to treat whatever diagnosis he makes.

So you've never saved a round where you were playing terribly by making a swing a change? If you have, your making a self diagnosis.

Kevin

Tiger might be diagnosing but he must not try to treat whatever diagnosis he makes.
So you've never saved a round where you were playing terribly by making a swing a change? If you have, your making a self diagnosis.
Kevin

I might tweek a little, but I'm not making wholesale swing changes during a round, no. If I have a dogleg right par 5, I set up to hit a fade. If it is a dogleg left, sure I'm going to change my grip a little, change my feet a little, play the ball back a little and setup for a draw, but I'm not really thinking about it or making a real swing change. The swing is the same for both shots. The feet and grip plus ball position is all that changes.
If I'm missing approach shots right all day, I may take more time to make sure my alignment is good, but I don't make a complete swing change outside what would be normal for woking the ball in directions, knockdowns etc.

I don't think anyone is talking about a swing overhaul during a round, but I think everyone does some swing doctoring on the course when things go bad.

Kevin

I don't think anyone is talking about a swing overhaul during a round, but I think everyone does some swing doctoring on the course when things go bad.

Kevin

I agree. We tweek as we go. When I read the OP, I was thinking more along the line of "overhaul". I do remember Butch once saying that Tiger could be the only player in the world that could possibly get by without a coach. He has the ability to feel everything about his swing, and I know I could not do it without another set of eyes.

Like many others I can only diagnose a few specific things, anything else I will totally ruin the round.

if you dont correct your bad shots your whole round will be bad

Back