I need some help making some decisions on new equipment!

Well im liking what im hearing about the kbs so i think im gonna try them in the ap2 and the mizzuno mp 53 and the taylormade cb and mc and see what i like best. Ill let you guys know what i decided to go with and why after I try them all.

Thanks for responding! Ive had my eye on those ap2 for a week or so lol. Those reviews are great on the taylormades as well would love to hit them at a demo day soon. I was considering maybe trying the 4,5,6 in the cb and the 7,8,9 and w in the mc all with the project x flighted 5.5s. Have you heard of anyone doing anything like this with these irons and if so i wonder how the distance gaping would go.

That would be a sick TM set up, and I have heard from our local TM rep that others have done that (combo the mc and cb).

Ps, the KBS tour 90 is an awesome shaft.

To me, it's a different stiffness. I find the KBS' to be more stiff in the butt end of the club, which i quite like, that way they feel softer at the tip. I much prefer the feel of the KBS' to the S300's so I'm a bit bias in that regard. Like I said though, they make a S+, I want to say they weigh 120 grams, so they will be lighter than the S300's. As far as launching lower, I'm just not sure, you'd have to test them out and see for yourself.
I concur. I was playing the Tour Authentic X-Prototypes with the KBS Tour in S flex and could hit the 4-iron plenty high. A DG S300 will launch lower...at least it did for me.

That would be a sick TM set up, and I have heard from our local TM rep that others have done that (combo the mc and cb).

Well im gonna hit them this week and ive pretty much decided on trying the kbs tours if the rep has them and also try them with my old faithful dg300s and see what happens.

This is going to be a killer combo! I was able to demo these irons while at the Kingdom last week and I am in LOVE! I cannot say enough great things about these irons. Yes TM does let you do any combo that you would like. I am going to get the MCs (AMAZING irons!) in PW-6 and the CBs in 5-3. I am going for the DG shafts. I just like them and am used to the way they feel, but both the KBS and the Project X shafts are great shafts. KBS feel the best to me, but I have a high ball flight so I need the lower launching shaft. If you are seriously considering new irons, then I would say that you have go give the combo set of TP irons a serious look.

While we are on the topic, I absolutely LOVE the R11 series of metalwoods as well. We had a couple of guy gaming the R9s, the supertris, etc and they all saw improvement with the R11. It is just a fantastic driver and the FW and hybrids are kick butt as well!

One more thing I just thought of as well. DG recently released a XG offering. So they have the s300 and the s300XG. The XG is lighter weight and slightly higher launching. It comes standard in the TM CBs. They are a great shaft and one really nice thing about this shaft in the combo you are talking about is that the XGs will offer a transition in weight as you go from your short irons (s300= 130 grams) to long irons (S300 XG=110 grams) to hybrids to woods. It is nice to have that transition. Just another thought! Less us know what you decide.

Ok the verdict is in, sort of lol. I have spent the last two afternoons demoing irons. My findings are as follows and only represent how the clubs preformed for me of course opinions and results will vary. First lets talk about the taylormade CBs. With project x 5.5 shafts I found these irons to be very forgiving with a soft feel and nice turf interaction. They were atleast a club longer than my 690.cbs but i found the ball flight to be a bit balloon like and the shaft harsh and sort of dead. Now these irons with the kbs tour in stiff flex felt much more responsive and the ball flight was extremely better. Clubs were still about a club longer than mine. The kbs shafts really impressed me. All in all i found these to be a solid set of irons I would bag anyday until i hit the MCs. The MCs had all the same great features and were extremely forgiving for a forged iron more so than i expected and more than my 690.cbs. Though they were not quiet as forgiving as the CBs i found their head shape and shot shaping ability to be worth the small difference in forgivness. With the kbs tour shafts in stiff flex these clubs out preformed every iron i demo and exceded my expectations in every catagory. After trying the callaway razor forged and the ping s56s and the mizuno mp53 all with differant shaft options I had narrowed my decision to the MP53s and the Taylormade MCs. The next day i decided to play a round with a 6 iron of each in the bag and stopped about 175 yards out from every green to hit a couple of balls with each. After 18 holes I had decided that the CB/MC combo was for me and this morning placed my order for a set of 7 irons 4,and 5 iron in the CB and 6-Pw in the MC with kbs tour stiff flex shafts and New Decade Red/black grips. Std length loft and 1 deg flat lie. Thanks for all the sugestions and as soon as i get these in and have a chance to play a little ill let you guys know how i like them.

Glad you found something you like. I have KBS Tour reg flex hard stepped once and love them. So smooth. Like butter. But I can hit them high or low in my R9 TPs. If I had waited longer I'm sure I'd have gone with the new MC irons instead, but the R9 TPs are a lot cheaper now and that just means I can buy a new driver now. :)

Have fun with the new clubs and let us know how they work out!

Back