So I made a long putt at a contest...

ddelise

D_Money
Reaction score
Handicap
and ended up purchasing a 2011 Bobby Grace Triumph with their "New Face of Golf".

I took the kids to the Chi Chi Rodriguez Birthday Bash Demo Day in Clearwater, hoping to test out the Wilson Vizor Putter. Wilson did not bring their putters, but a Bobby Grace tent was set up next to the putting green. I hit a few of their putters with the New Face Technology, and I could tell immediately that it works - you get an immediate forward roll on the ball. I did not like the feel of a couple of the styles (F-18, F-22), but liked an Anser stlye and a blade style they had available to demo.

Anyway, I noticed there was a Long Putt contest benefiting the Chi Chi Foundation, $5 for 3 balls. I went over and grabbed a putter they had at the contest station - the Triumph. I had not hit it at all but figured what the heck.

The putt was about 80 feet up and down hill with a big break right to left. My first putt was dead online and ended 10" short. :act-up: My second putt was about 3 feet deep. :clap: My final putt was dead-on from the moment I struck it, and from about 15 feet out you could tell what was going to happen... I sank it! :blob::D

Afterwards, I took the putter and hit a few 5 footers - could not miss. Then I turned around and hit a 40 foot putt back the other way - drained it! Then I hit a bunch of lag putts of 30 feet into a 3-4 foot circle.

At this point, I said no way could I not buy it, so I did. I ended up with 34", heel shafted.

The Triumph putter is so stable it just easily swings itself on a nice arc - just let your shoulders swing back and forth. The roll it puts on the ball is amazing - end over end from the moment the putt is struck. I tested out the Hole Seeking Material, and it is the real deal too. Feedback (sound) is not 100% what I was looking for, but I can live with it based on the results and because I had no problem dialing in distance.

If you get a chance, give it a try.

Nice!!!

What did you win for draining the putt?

Nice!!!

What did you win for draining the putt?

I won a Summer Paradise Golf Card (worth $200), plus 4 rounds of golf. I also might win the Grand Prize (should find out today) of a spot in Chi Chi's Yearly Golf Tournament and a meet and greet with Chi Chi. Pretty Cool.

SWEET !! nice prize ddelise

Congratulations. I'm going to have to go look these up now.

Well that turned out well. Find a great putter that works for you, win a nice gift card, and MAYBE get to play in the Chi-Chi tourney; heckuva day!! Let us know if you win the grand prize - pulling for you!

That's awesome, you should post some pix!

Sounds like win, win, win for you on that deal. Good luck on the grand prize, nice putt.

Congrats ddelise, you have done well already, hope you win the big one too.

Congrats man that sounds awesome. I was two inches short of winning a spot in an ameteur tournament at Cog Hill once. They had built a replica of the 14th green during the practice rounds and you had to sink a 10, 15, and 30 foot putt. I made the first 2 and then hit my 3rd and it stopped 2 inches short of the hole. They said I was closest of anyone all week. Would have been great to sink that sucker. Congrats on your big putt!

Congratulations on the win and finding a new putter. keep us posted on the grand prize. I have never heard of that company before. I check them out.

now you need to go play a round. Putting like that you may get your all time low.

Congrats, that sounds like a awesome day.

Four free ROunds of GOlf...Winning!!!!

Congrats! That is great! How about some pics of that putter?

Thanks everyone! Yes, it was real exciting. I will be calling over there today to verify everything, and will post the (hopefully very) good news. I will also upload some pics later this evening. I am jonesing to get out to the practice green this evening and continue the good putting!

Glad things went your way, hope u get the big news! That would be awesome!

Thanks everyone! Yes, it was real exciting. I will be calling over there today to verify everything, and will post the (hopefully very) good news. I will also upload some pics later this evening. I am jonesing to get out to the practice green this evening and continue the good putting!

Its a great putter for sure. I've got a Triumph in the non-grooved HSM and the new F-18 with roll-grooves. If you like a mallet they are deadly.

Great pickup and from the sounds of it one heckuva good day! Cannot wait to see the pics.

I won a Summer Paradise Golf Card (worth $200), plus 4 rounds of golf. I also might win the Grand Prize (should find out today) of a spot in Chi Chi's Yearly Golf Tournament and a meet and greet with Chi Chi. Pretty Cool.

Awesome congrats! I used to love hitting those long putts on the practice range when I was young, now I do it just to roll my first putts on the range but for no real reason. This is why I suck at putting!

Very nice. Share your experiences with this putter if you don't mind. I am very interested in Bobby Grace and wonder how the new ones stack up to some of the older stuff he made with MacGregor.

Very nice. Share your experiences with this putter if you don't mind. I am very interested in Bobby Grace and wonder how the new ones stack up to some of the older stuff he made with MacGregor.

Bobby Grace Triumph Putter Review

The good news is that I did get a chance to take this to a putting green yesterday. The bad news is that the putting green was in horrible shape. This being said, here are my thoughts:
*** This putter encourages a smooth, shoulder driven straight back to slight arc stroke. There is no needs to add hands to the hit - the weight and weighting of the putter allows for a pendulum swing.
*** Alignment is a breeze. Using a line on the ball and the line on the putter makes setting up a no brainer.
*** The roll on the ball is immediate and amazing. I have the putter with the new radiused face and grooves. The technology works. I used some range balls with the double wide stripe, and you can easily see no skidding at all, and a tight end-over-end roll.
*** The HSM works. I purposely hit putts off of the toe and heel, and the ball gets to the hole. What I do like is that due to the materials, you hear a different sound when not hitting the sweet spot. So even though the putt goes the right distance, you get audible feedback to know you did not make a great stroke.
*** Because of this, distance control is a snap. Just rock your shoulders longer for longer distance.
*** On short putts, I am finding I need to play less break than normal. Because of the immediate roll, the ball seems to track to the intended line much better.
*** The grip is a nice size for me. It seems medium sized and substantial. It encourages the shoulder swing.

*** One demerit for me is the overall sound and feel. It is not too soft/quiet like a couple of the other putters in the lineup. I would just prefer something with a little more of a 'crack' to the sound - like on a Ping Redwood. This is mostly a function of material and while not perfect to me, the other attributes of the putter outweigh this negative.

Here are some (poor) pics:

5588599071_1ef9924af0.jpg

5588599055_4d86217e4c.jpg

5589191246_067b44189a.jpg

5589191292_0dec5a3ecc.jpg

5589191238_e9c369884a.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome feedback. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome. I'm having trouble posting the pics though - trying to link to my Flikr account and running into issues. I'll try to resolve this afternoon.

Edit - Got the pics to post - finally!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Sweet! That sounds like a lot of fun. I love contests like this :D

Back