Pulling through hard to the left

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
Andy -- One of my new drills my swing coach has me practicing is opening up my stance, put two tees or rods down where I have to swing down and around my body with the butt end of my shaft pointing toward the target line. My old swing had my arms wailing away while swing way out to the right with the club very high over my head in my follow through. It feels really funny doing this drill but I do feel my self staying down through my spine angle much better and my follow through is much better as I turn around my left leg, side. Is there another drill I can work with or should I stay with this until the follow through feels natural. Looking at my old swing the butt of the club was pointing way out across the target line.

I might note he is trying to build a more consistent swing and stop my duck hooks. Instead of aiming farther right and living with the problem I want to work on a more consistent draw or fairly straight ball.

He also had me using the drill with my back against a wall or my golf bag teaching me not to go to flat inside with more of a up, down , and through the ball. This feels really weird but it something I will have to make a change to for more consistent timing and ball striking.

It is something I will have to make a change to, for a more consistent swing plane, spine angle and solid ball striking. I am noticing my distance loss is quite a bit with some push shots to the right. He said I will notice this at the beginning until I get the feel for driving through the ball. He wants me to use more of my left hand to pull hard into the impact area instead of powering through with my right hand. I also thought the right hand being the more stronger of the two, would be the hand that you would power through the shot with?

Thanks,
ole gray

Last edited:
Grey he has you working on some very good things. SOunds to me like you just don't have the feel for connectin on the down swing yet. The more vertical feel and better top position is huge to a simpler more repeatable swing. Keep up the work and I would love a video to see how you are doing.

Grey he has you working on some very good things. Sounds to me like you just don't have the feel for connectin on the down swing yet. The more vertical feel and better top position is huge to a simpler more repeatable swing. Keep up the work and I would love a video to see how you are doing.

Andy -- I will have Kelly take a video to show my progress. The feel of the swing feels weird but right at the same time as I feel like my body is turning through the shot. My local coach said the exact same thing you did about the vertical swing. It reminds me of a segment in the Tom Watson CD collection, where he found the the secret in 1998. He was tired of pushing his shots and while watching Corey Pavin on the practice range it hit him. He described it as a feeling similar to coming over the top with his swing but in actuality it corrected his spine angle allowing him to fire through the ball with a more solid impact. It's really cool to feel the right move but like you said I have not make the connection yet.

p.s. Good luck with your tournament schedule this summer and I will miss seeing you at WPB!

Andy -- You mentioned one time about a chair drill that basically works the same as backing up to a wall. It promotes a more vertical takeaway. You said something about taking a chair, put it on the right side of your body with the back of the chair aligned with your right leg/waist. This prohibits an inside or too flat of a take away. I bet it would also help with the pulling down and through the ball with the left arm. It might even promote coming into the impact zone from a steeper angle and help with driving down and through ball.

The chair takeaway drill works like this. Take a chair/broken club shaft (anything that is about waist high). Place it to your right and on your toe line. When you take the club back you should just brush the top of the chair. This is a great check point in the takeaway. At parallel to the ground the club head should be inline with your hands and on your toe line. Give it a try.

Back