OPINIONS: Subaru Forester (2006-2008)

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
Looking for opinions on a 2006, 2007 or 2008 Subaru Forester. Might even consider a 2009 if I can get a good enough deal. The 2010's, even though they are now "last year's model" might still be more than what I want to spend. They redesigned the vehicle for 2009.

Consumer Reports loves them, I basically need a push or a yank back!

Don't know for sure I'm even going to do this, it's just bouncing around in my head. I know I might get more informed info from a car forum, but I don't care!

The Montana mini-van. Heard nothing but good things about them.

The Montana mini-van. Heard nothing but good things about them.

Not the best ratings by CR. I know some people don't go by CR but I do and it is a contributing factor in any decision I make! Especially one that is in the five figures!

There should be something said that those who own subaru's are so loyal to the brand. But, word to the wise, maintenance cost can get outta this world high.

Sorry, I was calling the Forester the Montana Minivan as a nickname. Go to Montana and you will see what I'm talking about. Everybody there has one. I didn't realized there was really a Montana mini van out there, too.

Sorry, I was calling the Forester the Montana Minivan as a nickname. Go to Montana and you will see what I'm talking about. Everybody there has one. I didn't realized there was really a Montana mini van out there, too.

Ahh, I see! Yep, it's a Pontiac. Lots of black spots in their ratings!

I have a 2005 Saab 92x, which is basically a Subaru Impreza, and we LOVE IT. No major issues in the 5 years of ownership. The Forester is just a bit bigger. The AWD is "DA BOMB" and if you put a set of winter tires on it, snow will not phase you at all.

Are you dead set on a Forester, Smallie? I'd suggest a Honda CR-V. I think they're the same size and the CR-V has been a solid vehicle. I almost bought one for my son (much older model, like early 2000s) because they seem to last forever. The wife didn't want the kid driving an SUV though, even a small one.

i'm a big fan of the outback smalls. we've had one for the past 4 years and i grew up in a family that always drove them (the were legacy wagons before). they get great fuel efficiency, have AWD, and ride so smooth. never really had any issues either. the only difference between the 07/08's and the newer models (besides aesthetics) is that the increased the wheel base by 3 inches as well as the cargo space in the rear (increased it 3 x 3)

Are you dead set on a Forester, Smallie? I'd suggest a Honda CR-V. I think they're the same size and the CR-V has been a solid vehicle. I almost bought one for my son (much older model, like early 2000s) because they seem to last forever. The wife didn't want the kid driving an SUV though, even a small one.

They rank pretty high too bonk, but the Subabru's are somewhat cheaper. Gas mileage is a little better on the Forester.

Here's CR's synopsis on both:

Honda's first small SUV is based on the Civic. The ride is compliant and carlike, but handling is fairly clumsy. The four-cylinder engine is noisy and gained 20 hp, a modest improvement, in 1999. The 2002 redesign was a dramatic improvement. Pre-2005 EX models had standard ABS. The four-cylinder is smooth and spirited yet economical. The interior is roomier and fit and finish is very good. Handling is sound and carlike, though not agile, and the ride is steady. Road noise is our main gripe. 2005 models introduced standard ESC and curtain air bags. The 2007 redesign brought rounded styling that compromised cargo room and visibility. The four-cylinder is stronger and more efficient than most competitors'V6 engines. Handling is agile and the ride is firm, but supple. The rear tailgate now lifts up instead of swinging out.

The Forester is one of the better small car-based SUVs. It is basically a tall wagon with more ground clearance. The ride is compliant and handling is quite nimble. The 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine provides good acceleration and the transmission is responsive. The rear seat is a bit cramped, but the cabin has lots of storage compartments. Crash-test performance has been impressive. A powerful turbocharged model, the 2.5 XT, joined the line for 2004. Braking is very good. Handling can be a bit tricky at its limits, and the XT is the only version available with electronic stability control. The 2009 redesign brought standard ESC and roomier rear seat.

I'm not totally sold on anything yet. Subaru is at the top, but Honda is there too.

Thanks bonk.

Does country of origin matter to you? The Subie is made in Jpn, the CRV isnt. Had a look at the CRV a few weeks ago and some of the dash panels didnt match up and the paintwork on the body wasnt that great.

Does country of origin matter to you? The Subie is made in Jpn, the CRV isnt. Had a look at the CRV a few weeks ago and some of the dash panels didnt match up and the paintwork on the body wasnt that great.

I find this very very hard to believe if the vehicle was new. If not, it had been wrecked. Being in the repair industry for the past 15+ years I would suggest a CR-V or a Toyota Highlander/Rav 4. Subaru's are notorious for head gasket problems and their are very pricey to repair. I'm not here to get in to an argument with anyone so save it. This is strictly my opinion.

Subarus, are great cars. Just stay away from turbo models if you want tolerable prices on parts.

My grandma currently has a forester 06, so does like every other lady her age around here. Nothing better for snow...well besides my old AWD Astro van...I miss that bit**'n van...Anyways Its a great great car. Gets around great, okay MPG, my grandma's even has the towing package and It really can tow alota weight.

I find this very very hard to believe if the vehicle was new. If not, it had been wrecked. Being in the repair industry for the past 15+ years I would suggest a CR-V or a Toyota Highlander/Rav 4. Subaru's are notorious for head gasket problems and their are very pricey to repair. I'm not here to get in to an argument with anyone so save it. This is strictly my opinion.

The CRV I was looking at was new and in a big dealership, so no, it was not a used and previously wrecked car. In any case, my issue with the CRV is with the build and paint quality. My brothers and I were all given new Hondas when we got our licenses, so I have fond memories of the car/brand. Just not a huge fan of the way the cars look now.

Mechanically, Hondas have always been pretty good. As are Subarus I must say - havent heard anything abt gasket problems being a common occurence at all. Not saying that you're wrong, just that I havent heard anything from anyone and a bunch of my friends (including me) have the current Liberty,Forester and Impreza (WRX and non turbos) - none of us have had any issues yet.

Smallville, Subaru and Honda chat forums are very active, there's a wealth of knowledge in those sites, if there are any issues with either cars, u'll find it there! It should help u decide when the time comes. Good luck!

Had a look through those links JRod, thanks - lots of gasket problems there for sure, but from what I can see, the problems are primarily with pre 2000 cars. (Smallville is looking at 2006-2008 models right?)

In any case, I can only comment on the current model cars, didnt know the earlier models sucked.

Had a look through those links JRod, thanks - lots of gasket problems there for sure, but from what I can see, the problems are primarily with pre 2000 cars. (Smallville is looking at 2006-2008 models right?)

In any case, I can only comment on the current model cars, didnt know the earlier models sucked.

I know the problem exists up to 2007...not sure about after that honestly.

One things for sure, I'll be doing a lot of due diligence before buying, cos I'm considering a Forester when the time comes for a new car. Apparently there's a model coming out that close to 300Hp!

(I'm guessing ur rolling ur eyes right now!)

I know the problem exists up to 2007...not sure about after that honestly.

The 2009 is where the design change came in I believe (on the vehicle, not on the gasket issue). I wasn't seriously considering the 09 but since it will be a two year old model now and with the gasket issues that have been reported, I may go for it, if in fact I do get something. That hasn't even been decided for sure yet! Definitely won't get new or a 2010 model. I'd rather somebody else eat the early depreciation!

CR shows the 00-03 models had a much worse than average rating on "Engine Major" which includes the head gaskets. In 04, which was a redesign year, it was average. In 05 it was better than average and 06-09 was much better than average. Looks like they improved all of their problem areas prior to 03 to at worst, average but mostly all much better than average by 05.

Wish I could link to this but you need the subscription to see it.

That doesn't mean anything if you wind up with a bad car, no matter how good most of them were.

CR shows the 00-03 models had a much worse than average rating on "Engine Major" which includes the head gaskets. In 04, which was a redesign year, it was average. In 05 it was better than average and 06-09 was much better than average. Looks like they improved all of their problem areas prior to 03 to at worst, average but mostly all much better than average by 05.

Wish I could link to this but you need the subscription to see it.

That doesn't mean anything if you wind up with a bad car, no matter how good most of them were.

This is also true...Honda had adjustable valves in their 4 cylinders in 2000-2004? The valve seats would slowly recess into the head on the exhaust side not letting the valves close completely. This would allow exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber burning up exhaust valves. Was a pretty common issues on the CR-V's for some reason...although usually not occurring until 150,000 miles or more.

Back