Membership vs Playing Different Courses

• Membership

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Pay as I Play

Votes: 40 61.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters
I like the pay as you go because we have so many courses here in the Denver Metro area and outlying mountain areas. However I do like the monthly practice plans.

for now it's pay to play, but ask me again after i hit the 290Mil megamillions jackpot Tuesday night.

Then surely you wouldn't mind paying for my membership too!

Its new years day, but there are many CC folks here. It comes down to what someone wants. If they are joining a course in the hopes of saving money, its not worth it, it never is, and it usually does not add up.

But the CC offers far more than just greens fees. There is a social aspect that many love including myself and GG. You also have the different people and games that are built right in. Its about what someone wants. If you want just golf, dont join. If you want a golf lifestyle, joining a club is the best way to do it.

Well said JB, I would pay roughly 9 times what I pay at my local muni to be a member of our local CC and I don't think the course to be one bit better. Our local CC even allows locals to play during the week for $30 and I still don't play it. I drive and play courses in a roughly 60 mile radius and pay more than that to play those courses because the are better courses IMO. Luckily our local muni has a weekly blitz on both Wednesday and Thursday and that is also a great way to meet other like minded people. To me it is truly about the golf as far as membership goes, but I am willing to spend to play nicer courses.

My Fiancee and I will join the course we have played @ the last 3 yrs again this year, no frills 495.00 for the season april to nov it's only 10 min from house and we will get our moneys worth this year, looking to break 50 rounds of golf this year occasionally we play other courses if there is a buy one get one free, but economically this makes the most sense for us. there is not a more annoying thing to me than if your'e a member @ a course where they say you can't play on a sat or a sun because a certain tourney is taking place, and you're being squeezed out of playing a round @ my course you pretty much can play anytime.

Hey Bama,

Yep, the public course is Point Mallard. It's $600 and you can play any day of the week walking. $12 for the cart. You can also play 5 other courses once a month at just the price of the cart. Those courses are Cullman, Goose Pond, Gunter's Landing, Cypress Lakes, and Southern Gayles. Were any of those in the 16 courses you played?

If you just walked at Point Mallard it'd be $22 - multiply by playing 24 times and that's $528. So you're almost there anyway. Plus you'll probably pay more than $22 sometimes. But again, the thing is variety and do those other 5 courses make up for that enough or would you feel "stuck" at Point Mallard?

Let me know what you decide to do.

I need to make a decision so that I can get the full year, but if you've never joined Point Mallard before they will let you prorate the membership depending of course on when you join. So for example if I join in March it's still $600 but won't be that much for you in March.

Oh and the Country Club is Huntsville Country Club. Although that's probably a stretch. More money, less variety, but much closer.

unfortunately with my job, wife and 7 yr old, traveling the 20 miles to Mallard is not an option.
I was looking at TRedstone now that they have opened up the other 9 (36 total) but I still dont think I would get enough to justify.
PLUS, my in laws buy me a Trail card for my b-day (this month) so I end up playing the RTJ at least 6x/year....

unfortunately with my job, wife and 7 yr old, traveling the 20 miles to Mallard is not an option.
I was looking at TRedstone now that they have opened up the other 9 (36 total) but I still dont think I would get enough to justify.
PLUS, my in laws buy me a Trail card for my b-day (this month) so I end up playing the RTJ at least 6x/year....

Cool. Trail cards are nice although if I remember correctly 6 times at RTJ even with a trail card would be about $240 if you're riding. I just can't swing that for that amount of rounds. Nice course though. Maybe I can treat myself a time or two and tee it up with you.

Let me know if you want to go play again sometime Bama.

I play daily fee courses. I don't know of a public or muni around here which offers memberships. Isn't that closer to a semi-private? My home course sells a Players Card which gets you a green fee discount, but you have to play 20 rounds just to break even, and it's only $5 off per round. Since I'm a starter, I get a better deal than that by a long shot, but even as an employee I don't get free golf.

I bought what is called the Colorado Avid Golfer Passport this year, which gives from good to great discounts on some 60 courses around the state. It costs $79, and I'll more than get my money back with just 2 rounds at my favorite mountain course this summer. Definitely the best deal I know of around here.

There is also a business aspect to joining a private club. Depending on your profession you can meet people to do business with or develop some very good contacts. Also where do your bosses play golf? If they play at the same club you are looking at joining that can be advantageous as well. Country Clubs are not all about golf.

One of the things I like about membership at my home course is that it does come with a few perks. The big one is that our PGA teaching pro will work with you for 15 minutes anytime, anyday to help resolve a game or swing issue at no charge. The price of a full blown lesson is cut in half as a member. Range pass is $100 a year for a member $225 for none members.
Members are given preferred tee times. Members get 15% off of all clubhouse purchases. There are also several members only events each year. There is also leagues that are open to members only and our Saturday & Sunday skins games which are members only as well. Lots of reasons to to be a member in my book.

I have had a membership for the last twenty years. But I still go out and play other courses during the year. My membership also allows me to play other course for a small cost outside my area.

I have had a membership for the last twenty years. But I still go out and play other courses during the year. My membership also allows me to play other course for a small cost outside my area.

Reciprocal memberships have become common in my area and I'm sure everywhere. While my home course does not have this option (course is busy enough without it) other clubs in my area does this. My brother is a member at another course in our area and he can play, I think four other courses by only paying a cart fee and the members of those clubs can do the same at his club. Good deal I would say. For those people, this would be another strong point for being a member of a club.

I play muni's on a pay per round basis. I play twilight and earlybird from $15-25 per 18. I'd like to buy a yearly or seasons pass, but no courses offer this that are close enough to make it worthwhile.

I am a member at a course where my membership covers greens fees at 13 other courses in the area. So I lucked out. None of the courses are championship caliber, but they are decent enough.

I live in a Country Club so I bought a share in the club, which includes golf for life (or as long as I have the condo) for me and family. Like many have said, it reduces variety but it is great being able to just wake up and walk to the first tee. One thing to ask at a Country Club is a possible exchange program. For instance, we can play for free at another club every Thursday and they can play for free at ours. Nice perk that adds some variety.

Back