I Need Your Help... Titleist Vokey or Cleveland Black Pearl

WAM Golf

Reaction score
Handicap
It's time for me to replace my 56 degree Taylormade wedge and I'm torn between the Titleist Vokey wedges or Cleveland Black Pearl. I have had my wedge for almost 8 years so either would be an upgrade but I'm curious to hear what the educated golfers here think.

I have a 52 degree Cleveland BP CG14 which I really like. However, I hear so much about the Vokey wedges being the best. Is there a difference? Do I just decide which I like standing over more?

Any suggestions on how to decide would be great.

Thanks!

both are great wedges and i recently replace my cg14's with the mizuno mpt 11's. prior to the cg14's i had vokeys in the bag and i preferred the cg14. the cg14 felt softer to me and i love the bp finish! i pretty much went with the mpt 11's b/c they had the spinner shafts in them and i could get them well before they hit the market.

good luck with the decision.

Try them out to see what fits your swing the best. I would also try out Mizuno,Taylormade XFT's, Nike V-Rev if you can. I personally love the TM XFT, but it all depends on what works best for you.

It's time for me to replace my 56 degree Taylormade wedge and I'm torn between the Titleist Vokey wedges or Cleveland Black Pearl. I have had my wedge for almost 8 years so either would be an upgrade but I'm curious to hear what the educated golfers here think.

I have a 52 degree Cleveland BP CG14 which I really like. However, I hear so much about the Vokey wedges being the best. Is there a difference? Do I just decide which I like standing over more?

Any suggestions on how to decide would be great.

Thanks!

In my opinion there is no best. We did a wedge shoot out in 2009 and Cleveland CG14s won. OEM Kevin did his own wedge shoot out at THP HQ earlier this year and Taylormade xFT won. I played Vokeys for a long time. Heck, I played them when THP started. I have had the opportunity to hit every single wedge on the market (generalizing) in 2010 and the Cleveland wedges won me over this year. I played CG15s in Oil Quench for 18 months. I just switched to the CG15s Black pearl (changed the shafts) before the year is out and they get harder to find.

You cannot go wrong with either one, but they are definitely different. Vokey wedges have a slightly clickier feel. Some like that and some do not. They are also slightly more head heavy in my opinion. If you have the opportunity to go to the THP Outing in the Spring, we will have almost EVERY single wedge on the market for people to demo on the range, practice green, and even take to the course to make it easier to make a decision.

Great question I am interested in hearing the responses. I Have two Vokey wedges, 56* spin milled and a 50* without the spin milling. I really like them and think they are very solid clubs. Accurate, great spin, and feel very nice, but I am the opposite as I have always heard so many good things about the Cleveland wedges. Guess the grass is always greener on the other side, right?

I can only speak for myself but I found the Vokey's to be very "heavy" feeling to me. The weight of the club head just did not appeal to me at all when I tried them out.
I wound up getting the Taylor Made Xft 54 degree wedge over the Vokey and the Cleveland CG15. The TM just felt better to me when I tried them all out consecutively.

That's my 2 cents and that's about all its worth....!

At the outing I loved both the CG16 wedges and the XFT's. Both were great for me. I love the lazer milling on the Clevelands and found them very easy to hit. The XFT's interacted with the turf very well for me and I got good spin from them. Also, I've found them easy to hit.

Others loved the Eidolons and Mizunos. It's a very personal club to me, since there is so much feel involved with wedge play.

Thanks to all the responses so far. I've been told it's all about how it feels to you. I was wondering if I'm "falling" for marketing when it comes to Vokey. I obviously know Titleist and Cleveland make great products. I have a 60* Nike too which does the trick for me.

I love hearing the input and I have the THP event in my sites... problem is I have a gift card that's burning a hole in my pocket (ok, e-mail) and I want to spend it. haha.

JB- gave THP a shout out on my radio show Tuesday. I'm loving this site!

Jrod plays Vokeys and he hits them very well. They are solid wedges.

I went into Golf Etc. with every intention of buying a Vokey pretty much based on ads in magazines and some feeback from others here on THP.
The owner suggested I try it out first so I grabbed a CG15 and the TM Xft in the same loft and hit the demo bay. After a few swings with each, I knew which one I wanted.
And if I had bought the Vokey after that, every time I hit a bad shot with it I would probably curse myself for not getting the club that felt the best that day.

I have had just about everything have 4 vokey's right now 50,54,56,58 varied per course. Plan on going back to Clevelands nexy season. The Vokey's are nice wedges I just had better control with the Cleveland in the past and when i Demo's the CG15's it was like a light going off. But this and your putter are very personal choices. Get what work for you and don't worry about PR.

By the way this is a great site you have JB very informative and the posters don't talk down to others like elsewhere.

I haven't hit a vokey, but I love my cg14. Either way you'll get a great club.

Before I bought the XFT's I had both those clubs. I personally like the heavier head on the Vokeys that's why I preferred them in the higher lofts (54,58) and the lighter CG14 in a 50 for pitches and rolls. Just personal preference. Like many have said go and try these out and see what feels better for you. What works for one person might not work for you. Good luck!

I've had both and currently play the CG15's. They feel a little softer but I noticed they were about 5 yards shorter(for me) so that took a little getting used to. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either but I'd rate them A for CG15's and A- for the Vokeys.

I love my Vokeys but what works for one doesn't for another! You need to snag a few and grab whats best for you!

Back