How much would you pay?

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
I occasionally play golf with a guy who's goal it is to play all of the top 100 USA courses. Actually, he has done pretty well, he's about half way there. So I asked him, how do you plan on playing Augusta National. While I have no way of knowing if it is actually true or the case, he said that the caddies get a round of golf. But rather than play, they sell their time. Let's assume for the moment just for discussion, that such is the case. How much would you pay to play Augusta National. The most I would consider would be $1,000, but even then I would have to think about it real hard. Is it really worth that much to say I played it. Is any golf course worth that much. I would definitely do my best to keep it around $500 at the most.

For that matter, is $500 too much for Pebble. What actually makes any golf course worth several hundred.

I'd say $1000-$1500. To be part of such a small group that have ever played there would be worth it.

All the money I had. And probably wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Of course...that number currently sits around $18, so.....

Same here, I have $15 to my name so we could pool our funds together :p

All the money I had. And probably wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Of course...that number currently sits around $18, so.....

I don't think the caddies get a round. The volunteers at the Masters have a day that they are allow to play the big course once and the par 3 all they want. They stopped them from selling their days back in the 60s is my understanding.

In answer to the OP, I would pay $1000 and not think twice.

Last edited:
Not much. Nothing against augusta, but I've got better things to spend that kind of money on these days.

Yeaah $1000 would be my limit to play augusta

I heard that they no longer allow employees to sell their spot. So I think your friend is out of luck. Even so I bet itd be a lot more than 1k to get in. Id imagine you couldnt get a spot unless you ponied up 10k+. Just think how much tickets cost to go to the superbowl, they probably sell 90k of those. youd be lucky to get 200 employee spots.

I played Pebble back in the 80's for $60 and even though I loved every minute I wouldn't pay what they're asking now. There are too many awesome golf courses that are reasonably priced to lay down that kind of money for one round. But for Augusta, I would say yes to $500.

Good for those caddies BTW, if they actually can do that, that's pretty resourceful.

I'd go out and collect / raise whatever, sell headcovers, and lay about $1-2K on the table, BUT that would have to be for 36 holes. I hate playing a course just once...and I bet the second round would be just awesome.

Id negotiate a $100 rate

I'd pay around a $1000 to $2000 to get to play that course, I think. That seems like a lot, but for THAT course, I think I would.

No way I could justify paying more than $500 for a round of golf, even for Augusta or even Pebble.

Even as I type this, $500 seems outrageous. On second thought, better make it $300.

i'd pay up to $2,500, but that would be for the FULL augusta treatment, not just to schlep it on monday when the caddies play.

No way I could justify paying more than $500 for a round of golf, even for Augusta or even Pebble.

Even as I type this, $500 seems outrageous. On second thought, better make it $300.

I understand your thinking. What exactly is it that makes some courses worth such a fee. Is it because they are in any better condition than some lesser priced courses. Is it like going to a historical museum or shrine. Is it a golf ego that just needs to say I played it. Or is it a combination of all of these. I'm guessing it is the combination of all, with perhaps heavy emphasis on the "I played it" factor.

Before I had an in at Pine Valley I paid $2,000 (twosome) after 9/11 to play as part of a fundraiser for the 9/11 fund. I considered that at the time a bargain, and today an extreme bargain.

Augusta is the only course in the current Top 10 I haven't played though I was asked this past year but was out of the country. I believe that ask will be forthcoming again but in the event it wasn't and I could play for a number I'd probably go as high as $10K and maybe $20K if the money was going to a charity I believed in.

I'd pay $500, then sell it to one of you guys that will pay 2K+ :)

Seriously though, it would depend on everything else going on. Right now, I wouldn't even try as I have other things I need money for. If I were secure in my work position, I'd be willing to probably go 1000-1500.

Before I had an in at Pine Valley I paid $2,000 (twosome) after 9/11 to play as part of a fundraiser for the 9/11 fund. I considered that at the time a bargain, and today an extreme bargain.

Augusta is the only course in the current Top 10 I haven't played though I was asked this past year but was out of the country. I believe that ask will be forthcoming again but in the event it wasn't and I could play for a number I'd probably go as high as $10K and maybe $20K if the money was going to a charity I believed in.

I know I'm old, but would you be willing to adopt me.

I would pay upwards to $2k to be able to play Augusta as long as it was part of a group. I hate playing golf by myself these days. I used to enjoy it but no longer.
I had an "in" that could have gotten me on Augusta a few years back and it was always one of those things "I will get to someday". He passed away and I let that chance slip away unfortunately.
It's $500 plus cart to play Pebble Beach now, if not staying at the resort. If you stay at the resort, they are generous and throw in the cart for the $500 green fee.

Not much. Nothing against augusta, but I've got better things to spend that kind of money on these days.
Agreed, it's a gorgeous place, I'd rather just be a patron during the tournament!

Back