Hitting down on the ball (Too Shallow Swing)

MikeF

Reaction score
Handicap
This is not for me but for my 9yr old lad.

He has been told that he needs to hit down on the ball as his swing is too shallow.

He has a tendency to lean back and try to scoop the ball into the air.

What good drills do you suggest that we get him to work on in between his group lessons?

Cheers

The first thing to do is to get his weight moving better in the swing. Start with a drill and no ball. Try this...swing to the top of the back swing and have him get onto 1 foot (his back foot) and swing down going up onto the other foot. This will get him the feel of moving back and through. Another good feel for him to get is to try and get his nose back to the ball at impact. If we can get him moving better he will start to hit the ball better.

Another good way to help get the hit down sensation is work on his chipping.

Thanks, now to try to get him to do it, wish me luck

Andy, is there anything we can get him to do inside to help?

It appears to be working, but I need to get it onto his head permanently

Ta

Inside try some foam golf balls and have him hit chip shots. This will get him in proper impact position. Get him chipping with his weight forward and his hands in front of the ball and keep them there through impact. IF he can get this feel 2 good things happen. His impact gets better because he can see hitting down gets the ball to go up, and he will be a better chipper which will make the game that much more fun for him.

Thanks again :D, he has his second lesson this afternoon so we will see how it pans out today. I have been working with him as best I can do

Back