Ping G20 Irons Review Thread

I agree. THP should send a set of irons to everybody looking for them

I'm looking at these. You should send them to me.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/good-as-gold

200503_golf_honmaclubs.jpg

Hahahahahaahah.

I'm going to give these sticks a few whacks when I pick up my 3wood. Maybe these are the Pings that finally click for me?

Is that a play on words TMex? Pings and click...y.

You mention almost no loss of distance on slight miss hits, but can you tell me if the ball flight remained the same, especially when you were a little thin?

And of course workable...hehehe

My thin shots (my miss) tend to fly lower than my regular ball flight. That is no different with the Pings.

Thanks for your support! So when are they being shipped?

After boxing them up, preparing a shipping label, I decided to check on activity. Unfortunately you dont qualify at this time. If you want to test equipment on THP, you need more than 50 posts in a year. However active posters will always have a chance to test out some amazing equipment on THP.

Last edited:
After boxing them up, preparing a shipping label, I decided to check on activity. Unfortunately you dont qualify at this time. If you want to test equipment on THP, you need more than 50 posts in a year. Sorry. However active posters will always have a chance to test out some amazing equipment on THP.

zing!!!!!

My thin shots (my miss) tend to fly lower than my regular ball flight. That is no different with the Pings.

After boxing them up, preparing a shipping label, I decided to check on activity. Unfortunately you dont qualify at this time. If you want to test equipment on THP, you need more than 50 posts in a year. However active posters will always have a chance to test out some amazing equipment on THP.

Join date Sept 2010. 53 posts to date. Thanks for checking!

Well thats 54 now Condor. You are well on your way to getting these Pings. Went to the range yesterday and they didn't have any G20 demo gear available. I need to find a fully stocked grass range:ping:

Its hard to see from the video, but are these black or blue dots? Do you know what color you would be fit to?

Its hard to see from the video, but are these black or blue dots? Do you know what color you would be fit to?

Not to speak for JB - but I think he has said they send THP all standard stock clubs - so that would be black.

Join date Sept 2010. 53 posts to date. Thanks for checking!

Whoops, my mistake. It must have been a typo, because normally that is the cut off. 50 points in a calendar year is not considered active. However 54 is considered extremely active.

Im not picking on you and please dont take it the wrong way, but THP sends out equipment to people every single month to test out. Heck right now we have 4-5 forum testing threads going on as we speak. We only ask for one thing in return. That is someone to be active. If they cannot take the time to be active on THP, they are not going to test major equipment for the site. I think its a pretty fair policy to be honest and that is rewarding those that take the time to be here often and to make this place what it is. Thats okay, its not for everybody and we respect the fact that some are not big posters. However we do ask that please in turn respect the fact that making 3-5 posts a month on a forum is not the same thing as being an active forum member. In my opinion anyway.

JB, I run a sales and manufacturing organization of over 40 employees. I really don't have the time to post thousands of times per year. If that is the criteria to be a tester, that's ok. I'm going for my Ping fitting tomorrow anyway and truly didn't expect THP to consider me as a tester.

Cheers!

JB while i fully agree with what your saying, To me it doesnt make sense because "how does that make me non active". I rock this site everyday, but dont post everyday, doesnt mean im not active. Yep i know im new but to me it doesnt matter, i feel like im family. Dont take new posts for granted, "except for the awesome peeps that just want free gear":doh:. Thx for the awesome site that provides me with awesome research on great gear for my game.

JB, I run a sales and manufacturing organization of over 40 employees. I really don't have the time to post thousands of times per year. If that is the criteria to be a tester, that's ok. I'm going for my Ping fitting tomorrow anyway and truly didn't expect THP to consider me as a tester.

Cheers!

As has been said, we completely understand that not everybody has the time to be active on THP. But one must understand that this site is not also just a place that when someone wants a set of irons, they just ask. It has been said numerous times that as a place that offers forum members the chance to test equipment, the only criteria is that one stays active. This forum has all kinds of members, some that are more active than others, some that just come on occasionally and I think its great to have this many wonderful people posting each month. As people get more active, it does have its perks though. No different than a lot of organizations that reward in a similar fashion.

JB while i fully agree with what your saying, To me it doesnt make sense because "how does that make me non active". I rock this site everyday, but dont post everyday, doesnt mean im not active. Yep i know im new but to me it doesnt matter, i feel like im family. Dont take new posts for granted, "except for the awesome peeps that just want free gear":doh:. Thx for the awesome site that provides me with awesome research on great gear for my game.

I think you might want to read the "Future of Forum testing" thread rather than making this Ping thread about that. It is very clear why people get chosen for forum testing and it will always come back to activity level.

i Fully understand that and im not trying to make it about that. sorry about the previously interrupted convo.

Playing golf tomorrow morning with GolferGal and will have these in the bag for the full round. Then I am also playing Tuesday with a forum member and might see if he will game them to get another perspective as well.

Playing golf tomorrow morning with GolferGal and will have these in the bag for the full round. Then I am also playing Tuesday with a forum member and might see if he will game them to get another perspective as well.
That's great! I'm looking forward to more performance details especially anything related to their performance off thin or hard lies. Have fun.

Good to hear, hope these really shine out there on the course. They do seem a bit large, thick, time will tell how they perform.

Would love to hear more of your thoughts on these. I've had Ping irons before, would love to pick up a set in the future. Had actual plans of going to EW's today to try a few irons out, but this Tropical Storm has ruined all my plans!

That is awesome! Lucky forum member:call-me:

Looking forward to the thoughts on these

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Spent this morning hitting balls with these to get a better feel for what I am working with here. Used nothing but the 8 iron and worked on distance control and answering the question of whether or not someone can "work" the ball with these. The answer is yes without a doubt. Draw and fade worked absolutely fine and came in high with a nice soft landing. Keeping the ball low was more troublesome as can be expected by an iron such as this.

One thing to note with these is that they do have a wider sole than I am used to and because of that, I did find myself catching the ball thin every now and then due to the sole bouncing off the hard grass rather than digging. I am a digger of the ball, not a picker and this did happen on more than one occasion (more me than the clubs though).

One last thing from this update is that I think that these feel different than just about any other Pings I have hit in the past. Not better or worse mind you, just different. Of course I also believe that it is completely based on sound and these have a very nice smooth and muted sound that I really enjoy.

Can't wait to hear how they perform on the course.

Back