I can hit 3w about 250, so if the hole is less than 400 yards I will use 3w to give myself a 7 iron or shorter into the green. In other situations like tight fairways, doglegs, or hazards, I will also use 3w.

I'm the same. My 3 wood gets 250y and is accurate. My driver is all over the show and although it looks and sounds impressive knocking a ball 280-300 i usually end up scrambling from rough and losing shots. I rarely use my driver these days as 250 in the fairway is more than enough for most public courses.

I'm beginning to think that I need to upgrade my 3-wood. I'm getting good distance with my driver... anywhere from 250 - 285 most of the time, but my 3 wood is pretty much maxed out at around 225 yards.
Of course the other problem is that I really don't hit my 3 wood with any more accuracy than I do my driver.
That being said, there is only one hole at my home course where I hit the 3 instead of the driver... and I have been known to just choke down on the driver a bit at times.

I'm definitely not a long hitter as my driver usually ends up about 240-250 out. Most holes I'll pull the driver to get inside my desired number. In the few instances on the courses out here where it's a short par 4, I may pull 3-wood instead to get to that number. The only other time it really comes out is on long par 5's since I just don't have the distance. Driver-3 wood usually get me within my number then.

In the end, it's all about course management IMO. Is there a lot of trouble that you don't want to be in? How are you hitting either of those clubs that day? What number do you want to play to?

Depends on how tight the fairway is. If there is a lot of trees or other trouble, I use 3 wood more than driver (or, I try to!). How long the hole is makes a difference as well. If you don't need driver, why use it? (I try to keep this in mind!). SOme days the driver has been going straight for me, and then I will continue to use it until it bites me.

I have only used my driver a couple times this year. A well hit 3w is just fine 90% of the time for me. There are only 5 holes that don't have a big risk at the drivers distance, 225+ and a 3w takes me right to them but not in. I desperately want the driver back in play but I'm not gonna struggle with it anymore.

I found that when I was hitting my 3 wood just as far as my driver, it was because I was always over swinging with the driver. It would always work against the things that should make the driver go farther (longer shaft, bigger head, etc etc).

Once I was able to fix the timing with my driver swing, nice and easy, it easily goes farther than the 3 wood...

My buddy Dan pulled a leg muscle on the 2nd hole at Beckett Ridge. It hurt him too much to swing the driver or 3w. So he used a 7 wood all day. On par 5's he was 7 wood 7 wood 9i or P. He was hitting it pretty far. Didn't score well cuz he was hurting but still managed to finish playing.

I got a driver fitting and the SF 2.0 10.5 stiff produced the best monitor and range results. Loving it on the course. Also love my SF 3W. Can hit it straight and work it left or right as needed. I use the 3W when I need better accuracy regardless of the par. Course management. When I see pros using a 3W on a long winding par 5 and the weekend golfers using a driver on the same hole????

Get a fitting and get driver lessons. Those 2 things have helped me hit more fairways.........

BTW, I had a playing lesson with my PGA teacher of 4 years. Hole number one is a par 5 serious dog leg left. I pull out the driver and slice it OB. I turn around and the teacher has a 3W in his hand. More about accuracy, comfort, etc.

There are a few times I hit my 3 wood over the driver...
1. If the fairway runs out to a hazard.
2. A sharp dogleg I can't cut.
3. A very narrow fairway that is in my landing zone.

That's about it.

I actually prefer to hit 3w than my driver. I feel like I can control it a bit more and it puts me in better position with any of my scoring irons. The majority of par 4's that I play I'll go 3w unless there's wind in my face or it's a lengthy wide open par 4. If the situation calls for it, I won't hesitate in pulling 3w on the tee for a par 5 either.

You and most of the other bloggers here are hitting the 3W better than your driver due to three main reasons which leads to a fourth reason...
1 The main cause is due to your swing speed which in turn effects your clubhead speed.
2 The 3W works for you because you are hitting a higher lofted club than your driver, just think how easier it is to hit your short irons compared to your longer irons.
3 The 3W has a much smaller clubhead making it much easier to square at impact making the club more accurate for you.

Those main points and other minor points lead to the 4 point.
4 You have so much more confindence hitting your 3W so you do.

This leaves you with a few options, you can get yourself a higher lofted driver somewhere between 11 - 12 or even 13 degrees. Steer away from the big 460cc clubheads, I have 7 different drivers that I have collected over time and the driver I hit the best has an 11.5 degree 425cc clubhead and if I have not hit a ball for a while I will take out my 12 degree 420cc and swing it nice a slow with plenty of control until I get my rythum back. The other option and this will help regardless of degree, is to get fitter and increase your controlled swingspeed.
This will see you smashing

I used to hit my 3 wood all the time and could pound it, but when I got a new driver, I switched back and now I can't hit a 3wood off the tee to save my life.

You and most of the other bloggers here are hitting the 3W better than your driver due to three main reasons which leads to a fourth reason...
1 The main cause is due to your swing speed which in turn effects your clubhead speed.
2 The 3W works for you because you are hitting a higher lofted club than your driver, just think how easier it is to hit your short irons compared to your longer irons.
3 The 3W has a much smaller clubhead making it much easier to square at impact making the club more accurate for you.

Those main points and other minor points lead to the 4 point.
4 You have so much more confindence hitting your 3W so you do.

This leaves you with a few options, you can get yourself a higher lofted driver somewhere between 11 - 12 or even 13 degrees. Steer away from the big 460cc clubheads, I have 7 different drivers that I have collected over time and the driver I hit the best has an 11.5 degree 425cc clubhead and if I have not hit a ball for a while I will take out my 12 degree 420cc and swing it nice a slow with plenty of control until I get my rythum back. The other option and this will help regardless of degree, is to get fitter and increase your controlled swingspeed.
This will see you smashing

Our local custom golf shop has been in business for 40 years, and the guy has done thousands of fittings, and he tells me 75% of the guys he fits, need more loft in their driver, but 90% of the 75% turn around and buy a low lofted driver. My PGA pro at our home course agrees with this and see's it time and time again.

I checked my ego at the front gate years ago. Great reply BTW!

There was a time I never carried a driver. With all the technology and shafts available there is a driver that suits everyone. My 3Ws are now retired.

I use my driver when ever possible, becasue I love it. If I know that I will run out of fairway or I need to work the ball around a dog leg I will use my 3W or 18* hybrid. But I like to get as close as possible to green so I swing the driver 80% of the time. More if I know the course and know where I can and can not miss.

Back